Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Healthcare and psychiatric evaluation

My insurance is United Healthcare.

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the last year to evaluate my taking of Wellbutrin XL.

I felt it worked best for me to see an psychiatrist rather than a regular PCP, etc.

All that I'm lacking before sending in everything for approval is my psych eval. I felt it would be better to go see the psychiatrist that Ive been seeing since he already knows me, instead of one that was given to me to see if I didn't have anyone else.

My Dr keeps asking for a form to fill out but I have yet to discover one that exist. He has cleared me for the surgery but, I still need this is writing.

What is needed to where as the insurance will approve. Is there an actual form that needs to be filled out that is standard or can I get by with him writing a letter explaining that I have been seeing him for the last year and that he would clear me for surgery?

Hope this makes sense to anyone who might be able to help..?

I would ask your surgeons office. I am sure they have seen the form or the letter and have an example they can send to you. :) Good luck. How NICE that you already have a therapist. :) That should help a lot. :)

I would ask your surgeons office. I am sure they have seen the form or the letter and have an example they can send to you. :) Good luck. How NICE that you already have a therapist. :) That should help a lot. :)

Thanks for such a quick response!!

Im going through True Results in Houston. They tell me that there isn't a form... Maybe most of their clients go to the suggested psych Dr for a reason?

I'll call my insurance Monday morning and see what they can tell me, I also have an appt Monday evening with my psych Dr. Maybe he has come up with something. smile.gif

United has a RN assigned to each client and also assigns a mental health practicioner when they are aware you are seeking that type of care and they are also there for the pre op lap band counseling oversight. I would suggest that you contact your United HC RN and he/she can put you in contact with the mental health practioner assigned to you. Ask that person about what is needed and if a specific form is required to cover any issues that are required for pre-op lap band evaluation. If one is, then ask if they can supply you a copy of that form for you to give to your mental health clinician.

I also have UHC and was sent to a psychiotrist that is in network and all of that was taken care of with the copy of the evaluation notes from my consult. They report highlighted my mindset on the surgery and wether or not I appeared commited to the associated lifestyle changes needed to succeed as a lap-band candidate. I don't know if another form was generated and sent directly to UHC but my surgeon said that the report I mentioned above would meet the criteria required and he submitted it to UHC. < edit I just found out 01/21/2011 that all was approved and surgery date is 02/10/2011 > Sorry to have rambled and hope that this was helpful.