Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 15 hours...but who's counting?! Please pump me up!

Hey everyone....I'm having my surgery in Mississauga tomorrow morning at 9:20am and I'm starting to get really anxious. I know this is the best decision I have ever made, and it's necessary, but I could use some pumping up. I'm scared about the surgery itself of course, but I'm also really scared of all the unknowns after surgery. What is my life really going to be like with this? Will I live a normal life? Will I succeed? Will I have complications? I know there aren't really answers to some of those, but I'm still nervous about them. I love going through this forum and reading success stories. It's so motivating. I thought I would just ask for some selfish "please help me not be so scared" support for myself....

Thanks guys! Wish me luck :)

Kerry

Kerry, I wish you a great journey - luck has nothing to do with it. You made the best decision for you and now you embark on a journey with ups and downs and twists and turns but always success. The surgery for the most part is the easiest, after that, follow the instructions of your clinic to the letter. Don't worry about the panic attacks that you will never eat "normal" again. Because frankly you will be eating normal. Your choices will be more healthy and quantities less, but if you look around what people that do not have a weight problem do you will see they eat slowly (you will be), they eat small quanties (you will be), they eat frequently (you will be) food is not their focus (this also will happen to you). So relax wake up to a great beginning.

Hey everyone....I'm having my surgery in Mississauga tomorrow morning at 9:20am and I'm starting to get really anxious. I know this is the best decision I have ever made, and it's necessary, but I could use some pumping up. I'm scared about the surgery itself of course, but I'm also really scared of all the unknowns after surgery. What is my life really going to be like with this? Will I live a normal life? Will I succeed? Will I have complications? I know there aren't really answers to some of those, but I'm still nervous about them. I love going through this forum and reading success stories. It's so motivating. I thought I would just ask for some selfish "please help me not be so scared" support for myself....

Kerry

YOU WILL BE FINE I JUST HAD MINES MONDAY 17TH ONCE I GOT IN THE HOSPITAL AND GOING I HAD NO TIME TO BE NERVOUS, SCARED OR WONDERING WHAT WAS I DOING. ITS REALLY A FAST PROCEDURE AND YOU WILL BE FINE JUST THINK ABOUT HOW GOOD YOU ARE GOING TO LOOK IN THE MONTHS TO COME :rolleyes:

Kerry

HI Kerry; are you 29 yrs old? IF so, you are so lucky to be getting this surgery now .... and not putting it off until you are 51 yrs old like I did... I had my surgery July 2007 and it was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself.. It was the beginning of really learning to LOVE myself, and taking CARE of myself.

Bravo, to you for making such a huge decision. Listen to DODDIE's Post, I;ve communicated with her over the years , and she alwyays has sage advise.

I just got back from a 16 day CRUISE... guess what? I only gained 3 lbs. and I've lost 2 of that already... This would NEVER have been possible before BANDING... it would have been a 16 day daily grazing at the Buffett tables, and 7 course meals...

What I ate on this cruise? Soup, small entre of meat, and sugar free icecream for dessert.. and I was satisfied and Full.... everyone else was eating, and eating, and eating... I was the chatterbox at the table as NOW I eat much more slowly, but consume far less... gives me more time to Socialize... I was a SHOVELLER before... ya know how you can hoover in food? Well, that is ancient history.

GIve it some time, you will love the NEW you.

Candice

Thanks so much guys. I'm so anxious and emotional right now that I cry as I read your responses, but they're good tears! I really appreciate the support. When you get this kind of support from people who know what this struggle is like and have done what I'm about to do, it is sooooo comforting.

Candice: I am happy that I'm having this surgery at my age, but I feel like I've put in a lifetime of battle with it. I can't wait for my new life to begin! That's awesome about the cruise! Congratulations!! You're in inspiration.

Doddie: That was great advice - thank you :) I will try to wake up tomorrow to a great new beginning.

Bunnyluv: Congrats on your recent band! Thank you for putting it into perspective for me. Good luck on your new journey too! Keep us posted!

I am going to pack my suitcase now since I'm staying a week with my mom. My anxiety comes in waves so I just need to keep busy and try to get some sleep. Only 11 more hours....

Thanks so much guys. I'm so anxious and emotional right now that I cry as I read your responses, but they're good tears! I really appreciate the support. When you get this kind of support from people who know what this struggle is like and have done what I'm about to do, it is sooooo comforting.

Candice: I am happy that I'm having this surgery at my age, but I feel like I've put in a lifetime of battle with it. I can't wait for my new life to begin! That's awesome about the cruise! Congratulations!! You're in inspiration.

Doddie: That was great advice - thank you :) I will try to wake up tomorrow to a great new beginning.

Bunnyluv: Congrats on your recent band! Thank you for putting it into perspective for me. Good luck on your new journey too! Keep us posted!

I am going to pack my suitcase now since I'm staying a week with my mom. My anxiety comes in waves so I just need to keep busy and try to get some sleep. Only 11 more hours....

Best of luck to you Kerry. Remember the hardest part was coming to the final commitment of actually doing the surgery. Get a good rest, and remember, we are all here with you :D:P

Sorry I just found your post today, I've been sick. Well you are officially a bandster now! I was also banded in Mississauga this past July, I'm down 66lbs and I'm 200% happy with my decision! I hope your recovery goes quickly!

Take care.