Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SOOOO confused!!!

Ok, so up until this point, I have been so looking forward to getting my lapband. I've been obsessing over this sight and all the wonderful information and experiences it provides. So today, I'm just minding my own business and stumble across a post about how this person so regrets the band and if they would have known, would have opted to get the sleeve instead. That was followed by dozens of posts of people who agreed. Even those who were happy and extremely successful with the band. Now I'm turn and not sure what to do. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks! :huh:

Research them both then make your decision don't base you choice on what others say. Good Luck

Do what you want to do and what your heart leads you to do. There is always going to be issues with ALL the WLS that they have out there. I wouldn't say one is better or worse than the other one. I think a lot of people choose the band because it's a less invasive surgery and there is no cutting your body parts. It's a personal thing so don't pay too much attention to all these posts when it comes to choosing.

Ok, so up until this point, I have been so looking forward to getting my lapband. I've been obsessing over this sight and all the wonderful information and experiences it provides. So today, I'm just minding my own business and stumble across a post about how this person so regrets the band and if they would have known, would have opted to get the sleeve instead. That was followed by dozens of posts of people who agreed. Even those who were happy and extremely successful with the band. Now I'm turn and not sure what to do. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks! :huh:

If you have done plenty of research, and have decided that the band will work for you, then you should move forward confidently.

ALL of the various WLS's have their issues, and the sleeve is no exception. And, the fact that the sleeve is fairly new to the WLS scene suggests that all of the longer-term issues that MIGHT occur with it have not been discovered. I would certainly not suggest that a person utilize any new procedure until it has been in COMMON use for a number of years. The sleeve methodology has been in use for OTHER issues for a number of years, but as a weight control mechanism it has been in use for a relatively short time, and there are not THAT many sleeve patients out there.

Also, consider the fact that of all the major WLS available, the Sleeve is the ONE surgery that is NOT reversible in any way. Once you have it, well,....there really is no changing or going back. And if the surgeon doesn't do a good job, then you're stuck.

The band has worked well for many people. If you have decided that restrictive WLS is indeed what will solve your particular obesity problem, then ignore the sleeve and go forward.

S.

I agree with Spartan 100% . Look at the pros and cons with your surgeon. Don't let other people make this choice for you, Good Luck sweetie;)

Thanks you all. You are absolutely right. I'm going to stick with my first mind and proceed with the band. I'm just waiting for my surgeon's office to compile my information to submit to my insurance. I can't wait, hopefully it doesn't take to long as I am EXTREMELY anxious! :D

The sleeve sounds like it may be better in some ways but at the time it was not an option offered to me. All I can tell you is that I have no regrets getting the band. Oh yes, there are some days of weakness when I wish it wasn't there but I love my band. I I did the research and knew it was for me and I have done well with it. I can see how it may not be for everyone. You need to search your heart and decide if it will work for YOU! I wish you the best!

As Spartan said, all the WLS have their pros and cons. Hang around a VS board and you'll find unhappy people there as well. The biggest advantage to the band is that it is reversable. According to the stats I was given when I went to my seminar, while VS patients lose more weight early on, by the end of 2 years the stats are the same for band and VS.

Many of the things people complain about with the band...well, you'll have those same problems with the sleeve (sliming, stuck, etc.). The difference is that the sleeve is not adjustable and the band is.