Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To unfill or not??? Scared....

I am having surgery in a few weeks, and want to know if I HAVE to have my band unfilled? I am finally at my "sweet spot" and scared to death of having it taken away! Have any of you had surgery since being banded and did you have you band unfilled or not? Thanks for your support! =))

I think it would depend on what kind of surgery you will be having and whether or not you get nauseated from the surgery and the drugs you will be getting. You need to have a frank discussion with your surgeon and see if it is necessary. I would not think it is a "given" that you would have to be unfilled. If it is surgery on your knee, for example, and you don't throw up from the anesthesia I don't see why you would need an unfill. If it is surgery on your intestines and eating would be difficult, maybe that would be a different situation.

I haven't personally had surgery since being banded but I know that losing the sweet spot would be a big concern. It takes so long to get there! Good luck to you and I hope your surgery turns out well.

That would be a question for your doctor I dont see why you would need to have an unfill just for surgery unless you need more calories after but ask your doctor

I had surgery in december and had no problems. I babied the band for a few days afterward to ensure I had no swelling oranuthing. I did have to crush my vicodin....g-r-o-s-s!!!

I had surgery in december and had no problems. I babied the band for a few days afterward to ensure I had no swelling oranuthing. I did have to crush my vicodin....g-r-o-s-s!!!

Bummer ..... they should have given you liquid Vicodin.

Thanks so much, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.......UPDATE......

Finally got a call back yesterday from my lap band surgeons office, and they said it was "required" to unfill my band if I am having surgery and going under. I so totally disagree. I have had more than just a few major surgeries and have never had any problems being put to sleep or coming out of it...ever. Told her I was still paying off the last fill I had done this past October. I think they want me to have it unfilled just so I will have to come back and have it refilled! =( I am having a hysterectomy and my GYN knows I have the band and thus far has not mentioned having an unfill. I am so torn, I NEED to have the surgery, just not sure I am willing to have my band unfilled. What to do........