Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my 2nd fill yesterday

I went yesterday and had my second fill, and it went as smoothly as the first one thankfully. I have lost 10 more pounds since last month; I am really excited about that. While sitting there, I was listening to some of the other patients talk and complain about not loosing weight like they want to. When they started talking about what all they would still eat, I wanted to ask them why they are being so stupid. One lady talked about gaining 5 lbs last month, and not understanding why. She said that she was still eating subway sandwiches and having only 2 diet cokes a day. She went through the same type of informational class as I did, but I guess that she failed to pay attention or thought that it would not apply to her. Being that I was self pay, I suppose that I want to succeed that much more. I could not imagine sabotaging my self with that type of food and then knowing that I threw away $14,900 dollars. I suppose that I have vented enough, it was hard for me to not say anything to these people yesterday. Maybe I should have.

Thanks,

A.J.

A.J.

Thanks for posting this. I too was self pay, and have often pondered the question of whether self-pay patients have a greater success rate due solely by the vested interest that they have put into getting the band. I have asked my Nurse Practitioner about her experience with patients who are self-pay vs. co-pay, she claims that there is a definite higher positive outcome with those who pay out of there own pocket. Please don't get me wrong, I thinks anyone who has decided to have this lifestyle changing surgery has done so for a good reason, and with all good intentions, but I sometimes see the idiocy of people who can't follow directions, or think that LapBand is the same as RnY, or think that they can experiment with the band and eat a whole Big Mac 2 weeks post-op. Just venting...............anyhow, best of luck on your journey- I know you'll do well. BTW- I just had my second fill this past Monday- 7 mos post-op. Feeling great!!!!

Unfortunately, too many band patients go into this with the attitude that they're getting the band so they never have to diet again. They think by just cutting their food in half, they'll quickly drop weight. I was one of them. No doubt they'll lose weight but it's going to be *slow*. Then add in the days where they don't cut their food in half but eat as they did preband and, well, it's inevitable that there won't be any weight loss.

Once I got my head around the idea that yes I do have to 'diet' because I'm not trying to maintain, but rather want to lose, I started to see progress.