Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just dreading getting my stiches removed monday. Want to know for all the people who didnt get glue did it hurt when the doctor remove your stiches? I can't even look at them I dont have a lot, but more than I ever had. They are really sore had my surgery on the 14th... Really Dreading on going monday :(

As with removing sutures for any wounds, it will feel weird having them pulled out, but it will be pretty fast and painless, and any pain you're experiencing should be partially alleviated. Sutures pull and can cause discomfort just being there. You'll feel a little twinge when he clips the suture (and he should push down on the skin to clip it under skin level to avoid dragging outside debris into the wound - if he doesn't, ask why not, tell him that if he clips it above the skin that he'll be dragging anything that's on the outside in and STOP him. Some doctors realise this but if they've been in the field a long time a lot will just figure it's not a big deal.) then you'll feel a tugging sensation as he pulls it through. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to remove all the sutures and nothing should bleed or puss. If it does, do not use anything like polysporin or neosporin, just let them dry out.

I didn't have stiches, but I had 17 staples and I too was terrified to get them out. It did not hurt at all, it took less than a minute for her to get all 17 out and it felt good to get them out :)

There are specific reasons why surgeons use sutures and staples, here are a few:

• If more than 5 sutures or staples would be required then the surgeon is required to use sutures or staples.
  • If the wound requires tension to close it - the surgeon is required to use sutures or staples.
  • If scarring is an issue with where the wound is placed - it's in the patient's best interest to have sutures or staples.
  • Surgical adhesives are not FDA approved for all wounds.
  • Surgical adhesives are very expensive ($30/vial).

In addition, using surgical glue increases the chance of hypertrophic scars, and most people would prefer to have as minimal a scar as possible. Ultimately it's up to the surgeon, but sutures and staples provide a better wound seal and a less invasive scar.

I don't think that is entirely correct. I've had two other major surgeries both 12-24 inches on my abdomen, with glue and sutures underneath the skin. I'm think in most cases it's more likely a doctors personal preference. I work with several doctors and I know many are reluctant to change.

'Acadia' timestamp='1295395933' post='1563033']

There are specific reasons why surgeons use sutures and staples, here are a few:

• If more than 5 sutures or staples would be required then the surgeon is required to use sutures or staples.
  • If the wound requires tension to close it - the surgeon is required to use sutures or staples.
  • If scarring is an issue with where the wound is placed - it's in the patient's best interest to have sutures or staples.
  • Surgical adhesives are not FDA approved for all wounds.
  • Surgical adhesives are very expensive ($30/vial).

In addition, using surgical glue increases the chance of hypertrophic scars, and most people would prefer to have as minimal a scar as possible. Ultimately it's up to the surgeon, but sutures and staples provide a better wound seal and a less invasive scar.

I don't think that is entirely correct. I've had two other major surgeries both 12-24 inches on my abdomen, with glue and sutures underneath the skin. I'm think in most cases it's more likely a doctors personal preference. I work with several doctors and I know many are reluctant to change.

Your surgeon still used sutures, even if they were subcutaneous, they were used because the wounds needed the tension. A 12" wound could not be closed with adhesive alone - at least not if you want it to stay closed.

One of the issues with subcutaneous sutures is that physician must use absorbable sutures (sutures that dissolve) and that means the tension isn't guaranteed to be even throughout the healing time. There are sutures that dissolve within 7 days, 10 days, 15 days, and so on, and they can be doubled up to increase the time by a day or so, but there's no guarantee. There's also no guarantee they will dissolve all the way.

They're primarily used on wounds that are known to heal quickly (buccal cavity, internal, etc.)

Ultimately you are correct that it comes down to surgeon preference and you can't argue with sutures and staples - they provide the best healing result.

I personally prefer to use surface sutures because the work I do is very fine, there are no large gaping wounds that need a great deal of tension, it helps to have the sutures exposed to the air in the areas I work on, and I need to minimize scar formation (if it weren't for this, adhesive would be perfect). For legal reasons I can't reveal what I do, but I am experienced in fine surgical and suture technique and have a medical background. I have a few careers at this point. ; )

Just dreading getting my stiches removed monday. Want to know for all the people who didnt get glue did it hurt when the doctor remove your stiches? I can't even look at them I dont have a lot, but more than I ever had. They are really sore had my surgery on the 14th... Really Dreading on going monday :(

I had a plastic surgeon fix a cut by my eye years ago (I sound like I'm Lara Croft with a bunch of battle wounds don't I ? LOL-I 'm barely scarred-really) and he put a whole bunch of teeny tiny little sutures there. While I don't have a very noticeable scar, I do have a dent from so many tiny tight stitches. This was long before glue was around and I think the glue is genius. Sometimes I wonder why it has taken mankind until this century to discover some things. Anyway, I would find another doctor if he said he wanted to staple or suture my skin together, unless of course, it was to save life or limb, that's another matter entirely.

Your surgeon still used sutures, even if they were subcutaneous, they were used because the wounds needed the tension. A 12" wound could not be closed with adhesive alone - at least not if you want it to stay closed.

One of the issues with subcutaneous sutures is that physician must use absorbable sutures (sutures that dissolve) and that means the tension isn't guaranteed to be even throughout the healing time. There are sutures that dissolve within 7 days, 10 days, 15 days, and so on, and they can be doubled up to increase the time by a day or so, but there's no guarantee. There's also no guarantee they will dissolve all the way.

They're primarily used on wounds that are known to heal quickly (buccal cavity, internal, etc.)

Ultimately you are correct that it comes down to surgeon preference and you can't argue with sutures and staples - they provide the best healing result.

I personally prefer to use surface sutures because the work I do is very fine, there are no large gaping wounds that need a great deal of tension, it helps to have the sutures exposed to the air in the areas I work on, and I need to minimize scar formation (if it weren't for this, adhesive would be perfect). For legal reasons I can't reveal what I do, but I am experienced in fine surgical and suture technique and have a medical background. I have a few careers at this point. ; )

Will be thinking of you on Mon. I had the same surgery date as you and they just used terry strips. Just really starting to get some what itchy on the entry points. Wish you the best...........:rolleyes:

This make sense to me why they would still use stiches or staples. I would want the best healing along with scarring so what ever is best to make that happen :-)... I didnt get a chance to talk to my doctor after surgery to ask what was the reason so thanx again for putting this in detail...

Thanks Lori, Mine are also started to itch its really annoying cause I know I cant do nothing about it.

Will be thinking of you on Mon. I had the same surgery date as you and they just used terry strips. Just really starting to get some what itchy on the entry points. Wish you the best...........:rolleyes: