Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Complications or just illness??

Hi all

I had my band fitted 71/2 months ago, I made a speedy recovery initially post op. I was finding it extremely difficult to get a fill and when at 10weeks post op regained the 12lb lost on my pre op diet. And I expressed my concern to my surgeon that I couldn’t get a fill he told me if I could find a service better elsewhere I was welcome to go. So I held in for a few more weeks and at 16weeks post op I had had enough so I found a new fill provider. I had my first fill of 31/2 mill’s at 18 weeks and a second fill 0f 2mill’s 22weeks. That’s were my problem started I have been vomiting daily several times a day restriction is so tight I can barely drink I have lost 2 stone but it has been so difficult and I am eating anything that will stay down. My diet is not balanced as I cannot eat any meat or fruit Pasta rice or bread. Anything that’s dry or solid will just reflux back up leaving me in agony. I have been like this since October I cant even reduce my food intake because I reflux all solid food even my initial small intake there is no 3 or 4 spoons of food for me because it just comes back up first bit.

Like I say I have suffer this since October 3rd 05 in November I contracted a chest I have had one course of antibiotics I will admit I no longer feel poorly but I do have the phlegm and the cough still very bad the phlegm is so bad I cannot drink I have to have a bit of a fizzy drink to clear my throat before I can eat or drink.

My problem is I have no consultant now because I left the surgeon who fitted my band I am sure he will turn me away if I seek help and the other consultant is merely a fill provider and cannot touch my band.

Its all begging to get me down if I was losing weight I suppose I would endure the side affects but the weight loss is very slow I will not lose anything for weeks on end and then within a matter of days drop a few lb and I re gain and then lose its so frustrating for me.

I am concerned now that maybe with all the vomiting and pain I am in plus the coughing that my band may have moved. I did request a x ray but have been told no. I now don’t know what to do I feel there is only so much more I can take this has left me feeling so very depressed.

All advice would be welcome

Muggle

Muggle, where are you that doctors seem able to ignore your pleas for help? At the very least you need an unfill as soon as possible. The person who gave you the fill should be able to do that with very little trouble.

I'd say try that first. You may find it resolves your symptoms right away. If you continue on this path too long you might indeed damage yourself and compromise your banded future. Believe me, an unfill is MINOR in the grand scheme of things. In fact, you may not be losing weight because you're not eating enough.

Get this taken care of, Muggle, and soon. It's really not a good way to be and could result in an emergency.

I am in the UK I waited 2years for my operation on the NHS as I just could not afford the surgery. I did email my fill provider and told them of my experiences and the surgeon’s wife replied to my email. She said chest infections cannot be removed surgically. She was clearly being sarcastic because I stated in my email that I was on antibiotics and that I was wondering if I needed an unfill and I simply asked could the infection be linked to all my vomiting problems I had been suffering unto that point. I know if bandsters over eat we will vomit but I can only eat sloppy’s and fluids so I cannot over eat because I cannot eat any solids how am to stop eating when I feel full when I cannot get any solid food down me.I am at a point that the band is dictating what I can and cant swallow?

She did later reply apologising for her sarcasm and that she was tired having just retuned from a holiday but it has left me feeling humiliated to say the least. The surgeon who fitted my band while an excellent surgeon has a long list of very unhappy and desperate patients who like me feel abandoned post op with little or no advice while he provides a dietician she has no knowledge of the band its totally messed up. I will not name him hear as it is disrespectful but my fill provider has a excellent reputation and I know his wife’s email would have been one that was totally out of personality. But I now feel frightened I know it sounds incredibly silly but I feel I am making a fool of myself and surly if I had anything serious wrong it would be picked up. But then how can it be picked up if I am not seeing anyone??

I feel like I am contradicting myself but I have asked for help and I have been made the butt of a joke or I have been left to feel I am some what a difficult patient. I do have a appointment with my GP on Wednesday so may be he will put me on a different course of antibiotics but this does not sort out the problems of the over restriction

Bottom line is you know your body and your band. Not being able to keep liquids down is a serious problem. I second what Alex said, you need to try the unfill, ASAP, then go from there. Good Luck!

In America, we have a saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil." So start squeaking and sqwaking like a loud bird till someone hears you. Can you call your old surgeon and ask his advice? Will he take your calls? Call the maker of your band and ask for a list of doctors.

I agree that you need an unfill for starters, then good band maitenance. I had a lot of phlegm that caused me to cough, and I had a contant sore throat from the acid reflux.

As far as not losing weight, you might want to count up the calories for one day in the liquids and "sloppies" you eat. Sorry, but I have to laugh because in the US we call them mushies, and I think sloppy is a cute word for mushy food :P But you might be surprised how many calories are in liquids and mushy stuff. fruit juices are very concentrated and fattening. If you drink juice, you can dilute it with Water and save some calories.

Good luck, I hope you find a doctor soon.

I have now emailed my fill provider explaining about my problems again and asking about a unfill. I shall keep you informed

I hope that you feel better soon. Even if you aren't too tight when the infection or whatever it is goes away, you'd do better to get a little unfill now so that you can get in good nutritious food while you are trying to get your body to heal.

(hugs)

My fill provider is going to book me in for a unfill and my GP has put me back on antibiotics so hopefully i should be feeling better soon

thanks for the advice

muggle x

Hi every one well I have my unfil booked for Monday It can’t come fast enough I am feeling worse by the day restriction is very tight. I am so hungry and dehydrated and feeling incredibly weak and dizzy when I stand up. I daren’t take a deep breath my chest is so sore now and I know I have a chest infection and have been told it is not band related but my “band area” is very sore not just to touch but like I say when I am breathing it feel’s like I do have something in there. Yeah I know I have a band but up until now I couldn’t feel anything especially no pain or sore ness.

My husband is coming with me to see the surgeon so hopefully he will push for some answers. I am almost a year post op and only a stone down 4 months with no fill so no restriction and 3 months over restricted so basically eating anything that I can rather than anything I should.

Ill let you know how I get on I am feeling really fed up at the mo I am just sick of problem after problem. I am in ketosis and I stink and that is just making me feel worse so now I am a moaning myrtle. Moan moan moan I moan so much these day’s I cant stand to hear myself so I pity my poor family who not only here mw moan but have to hear me be sick and cough all day and night were all exhausted now.

Muggle

Good luck...I hope an unfill helps!! It sounds like you may have some real inflammation going on, and you need to give your system a good long rest.

Please come back and let us know how it went!

What a relief, I have had a 2 mill unfill and I feel so much better. My fill provider has said if my infection is still present in 1 – 2 weeks he is going to do a barium swallow and x-ray my band.

He is concerned now about my Protein intake because I have not been able to eat any form of meat for 3 months. Plus I look horrible he saw my dry scalp and thinning hair. He just wants me to focus on getting my antibiotics in and upping my protein intake and we will review in 2 weeks.

I have just had a slice of toast and some spaghetti hoops do you have spaghetti hoops in the US?? Gosh I sound so ignorant but we call so many different things don’t we. Well anyway I chewed well and it was delicious I felt satisfied on a relatively small amount. And it was wonderful just to eat a solid meal and not be in agony.

Ill let you all know how I get on its 7.15 pm hear and Eastenders will be on soon so I am off to have a cup of tea and watch telly.

Muggle