Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncomfortable Side Effects?

Hi all,

I'm 24 yrs old, newly married, have 3 children, just graduated nursing school last month and got "banded" Jan 13th 2011. The soreness is starting to go away and I feel a little more normal. Since I got banded I haven't been able to belch. I feel a lot of gas build up causing a huge amount of pressure. I can't really pass gas either way. I'm so uncomfortable and bloated I would really like a remedy for this or to know it will pass (no pun intended haha). Also, since the surgery, I have been coughing up extremely thick sputum. Is this related to the anesthesia?

The gas thing passes, they say to walk, though I never did any more than usual. It takes about a week or so. I have been on and off sick since surgery, a lot in my chest too. I'm not sure, but definitely believe it has to do with the anesthesia plus our immune systems are weakened from the surgery.

The gas does go away. I wasn't able to burb until about a week after and it felt so good. I passed gas, but just make sure it is gas ('nough said). Did they give you a breathing thing to help clear your lungs? I had to suck in 10 times every hour and it helped. They also gave me a pillow to used as a splint to hold on my stomach when I coughed the stuff up and that helped.

I used a hot Water bottle for the gas pains and walked. Walking really does help to get things moving and out of your system. I am 9 days post op and I feel great. I did take my pain medicine for the gas pain, although I don't know if it works for that, but it put me to sleep for a few hours so at least that was a break! You will get through it, and what you are going through will be a memory.

I was banded on the 14th and am going through the same thing, as most people do. I feel like I need to belch and little burps come out but not what I need. A lot of stomach grumbling. Tightness in my chest. Shoulder and back pain.

I'm taking the liquid T3 prescribed and will start to take the pills as soon as I can. A hot rice pack (tube sock with dry rice and tied then microwaved for two minutes) helps both with the shoulder pain and internal gas pain.

I'm having problems getting comfortable for sleeping though, I have to prop myself up and can't be on either side, back only. I'm sleeping a bit but my neck and shoulders are paying for it.

My mom used to do that rice thing for earaches when we were kids. I guess it worked. Don't actually recall. Didn't I just reply to another one of your posts where my mom did something else similar? LOL

I was banded on the 14th and am going through the same thing, as most people do. I feel like I need to belch and little burps come out but not what I need. A lot of stomach grumbling. Tightness in my chest. Shoulder and back pain.

I'm taking the liquid T3 prescribed and will start to take the pills as soon as I can. A hot rice pack (tube sock with dry rice and tied then microwaved for two minutes) helps both with the shoulder pain and internal gas pain.

I'm having problems getting comfortable for sleeping though, I have to prop myself up and can't be on either side, back only. I'm sleeping a bit but my neck and shoulders are paying for it.

I am being banded on Friday, and my doctor told me to bring Gas-X dissolving strips to the hospital, since you can't take the pills. Probably won't be enough to help, but worth a try if you haven't already. Not looking forward to these side effects!

My mom used to do that rice thing for earaches when we were kids. I guess it worked. Don't actually recall. Didn't I just reply to another one of your posts where my mom did something else similar? LOL

It works, and it's cheap. Moist heat helps to get fluids and air flowing a little better than dry heat. I use it for arthritis too. And of course my cats enjoy soaking up the extra heat when I'm done with the bag ;)