Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise,yes....weight loss, NO

So, I was banded on September 13, 2010. I have lost 51 lbs! I am excited....but my weight loss has all but stopped....down a lb today, up a lb tomorrow, down 2 lbs today, up a lb tomorrow...you get the point!

I had no problem loosing weight until I started exercising. I walk 3.5 miles 2 days a week, and I work out on the eliptical for 20 mins, and do resistance band for 10 minutes 1 time a week. I hate exercising, and now that I am not loosing weight anymore, I want to stop!

I have been at this exercising stand still for about 1 1/2 months! Totally bummed!

So, I was banded on September 13, 2010. I have lost 51 lbs! I am excited....but my weight loss has all but stopped....down a lb today, up a lb tomorrow, down 2 lbs today, up a lb tomorrow...you get the point!

I had no problem loosing weight until I started exercising. I walk 3.5 miles 2 days a week, and I work out on the eliptical for 20 mins, and do resistance band for 10 minutes 1 time a week. I hate exercising, and now that I am not loosing weight anymore, I want to stop!

I have been at this exercising stand still for about 1 1/2 months! Totally bummed!

Did you take your measurements prior to starting your exercise routine? Its very possible that you're gaining muscle mass, which is better for calorie burning than just plain old cardio.

Plus your body has to adjust to the physical activity and that may not happen overnight. Good luck and keep it up!! Exercise can never hurt your weight loss goals.

I swim 7 days a week; on VERY rare occation it's 6. I was more or less at a plateau for a month (keep in mind not yet at restriction). I think since I'd been exercising every day for 18 months prior to surgery my body was'nt going to be shocked into losing weight. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you are working out 3 days a week. My though is that you need to bump up your exercise to at least 5. I don't partically want to work out either but once you make it a habit your body starts to like it. If I don't work out it's harder to fall asleep at night; and I just miss it.

I went from no exercise to consistently walking an hour a day at a *very* brisk walk ( 4 miles per hour by week 2) and after 5 weeks, I still did not lose any weight...and it wasn't because I had gained muscle mass. I already have a lot of muscle in my legs from carrying this weight around.

However, as much as I hate to admit it, I did get to the point where 10 minutes into a walk, I actually 'felt' better (even if I was still bored with it). At some point, the boredom did me in and I quite walking, but I remembered how good I felt so I kept looking for something that was 'fun'. Now I do Tae Bo every day and I love it. No, it's not helping with the weight loss but I do feel good.

Studies show that you do not need to exercise *to lose weight*. It all comes down to what you put in your mouth so that's where I'd start looking first. Exercise may help you lose more quickly and provide other health benefits though.

I went from no exercise to consistently walking an hour a day at a *very* brisk walk ( 4 miles per hour by week 2) and after 5 weeks, I still did not lose any weight...and it wasn't because I had gained muscle mass. I already have a lot of muscle in my legs from carrying this weight around.

However, as much as I hate to admit it, I did get to the point where 10 minutes into a walk, I actually 'felt' better (even if I was still bored with it). At some point, the boredom did me in and I quite walking, but I remembered how good I felt so I kept looking for something that was 'fun'. Now I do Tae Bo every day and I love it. No, it's not helping with the weight loss but I do feel good.

Studies show that you do not need to exercise *to lose weight*. It all comes down to what you put in your mouth so that's where I'd start looking first. Exercise may help you lose more quickly and provide other health benefits though.

I was at a point at the very beginning where I was exercising 5 days a week (running, walking and resistance) and I did not drop a pound for about 2 weeks!!! :o Talk about disappointing and frustrating... Well a couple of people on here told me to take a look at my calorie intake and to make sure I was eating enough. If you are not getting enough calories the weight still won't come off when you are exercising... I knew that I was eating healthy so my food choices weren't the issue. I started to eat more and incorporated a whey protien drink in the mornings for Breakfast and dropped 10 lbs in a week!! :lol: I know sounds impossible huh? But if it hadn't happened to me personally, I wouldn't believe it either. Now I have been averaging 7 - 10 lbs a month weight loss although I did have one month I only lost 5 lbs but that was still good and that was due to not having a fill that month.

So in essence keep up what you are doing and make the adjustments accordingly and you will see the results. The weight will come off and you will be FIT as well!

Good Luck!

I have been going to the gym (was before surgery too). I haven't lost anything I 2 weeks. I think it is because I am only eating less than 1000 calories, usually 700-800 calories a day. I am kind of thinking of taking this week off of the gym, or only going 1 or 2 times and seeing if I lose. Next week I can eat normally so hoping I can get up to at least 1200 calories and be able to lose. I have been burning about 400 calories per workout, but will be increasing that because I cam go back to the weight machines now. I did workout for an hour today, shoveling snow...lol

I have been doing Water aerobics for the past 6 months 5 days a week. I was just banded Monday and figured the exercise before would help with everything. I even went during my 2 week liquid diet...whew talk about hungry :P. Anyway I've lost like 25lbs since August. and not much till the liquid diet start. The trainers at the Y where I go all said the same thing that muscle weighs more than fat. I'm more toned ,less buoyant in the water and my clothes are looser so they must be right. So hang in there you probably have more muscle now. :)

Don't weigh yourself daily, you'll just get discouraged.

You might need MORE exercise. I was always told by my trainer to make a difference, you need about an hour of cardio 5 days a week to really burn fat and make a difference. I know the TV says 20 minutes a day! That's not the case when you are losing weight.

20 minutes on the elliptical might burn 100 calories

this is from webmd

Do the math: You need to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound. So if you're burning 300 calories in one workout, it will take you nearly 12 workouts to lose one pound. If you cut your calorie intake by 300 calories in addition to burning 300, it will take you half as long to lose a pound.If you want to lose weight, shoot for at least 200 minutes (more than three hours) a week of moderate intensity exercise with everything else consistent, says Church. If you cut calories and exercise, he says, you can get away with a minimum dose of 150 minutes (2 1/2 hours) a week.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm <~check this too

It is likely you are loosing inches not pounds. Muscle weighs more then fat and it is a lot more compact for the same weight. This would be a good thing if it is happening.

If you're already doing your card, why not kick it up a notch and do intervals where you change your speed and intensity. I love it and it burns more calories in 20 minutes than steady state card. Google HIIT. and remember it's all according to your intesity level...I use a heart rate monitor to help me know if I'm working hard enough