Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any medical people who have had banding

mark hill
Sign in to follow this  

Previously having worked in ICU & CCU i know all the problems that can go wrong so i am afraid to have surgery. Mostly i am afraid i wont wake up after surgery, i have had a bad experience with a few patients and of all the things that haunt me is sending a patient to surgery and telling them they will be ok and everything will be fine, then for them to die on the table and not come back.

I have a daughter 13 and a son 2, i am around 500lbs 52 y/o and disabled, i know that if i dont have surgery i wont last long, that's why i am doing it.

My thoughts are should i go for another 5 yrs more than likely or risk surgery and maybe get 10-15 yrs?

Was hoping to find a mentor that's works in a Hospital.

I cant have surgery till Aug 2011 due to insurance problem.

I have seen others who have done really well.I am a nurse.One of my coworkers had it about a year ago.She looks great and said she would do it again.I have just start the process of trying to get approved.

I am a critical care nurse and understand your reserve on going through with the surgery. For me it is not a choice. I am scared and nervous naturally but the way I am living now is not living. I feel bad daily and hurt all the time. I am only 27 but who is to say how much time we have left in life? You and I both know 52 is YOUNG. Yes anything can happen and yes something might go wrong but hey if I get in my car today no one gives me a guarantee that I make it home tonight. Do this for you so you know you did not give up and give in.

I am a critical care nurse and understand your reserve on going through with the surgery. For me it is not a choice. I am scared and nervous naturally but the way I am living now is not living. I feel bad daily and hurt all the time. I am only 27 but who is to say how much time we have left in life? You and I both know 52 is YOUNG. Yes anything can happen and yes something might go wrong but hey if I get in my car today no one gives me a guarantee that I make it home tonight. Do this for you so you know you did not give up and give in.

Thank you , that is true. The Dr said i will be bed ridden in 2 yrs so i guess i dont have a choice.

I am an er nurse so I understand ur problem here, but all I can say is that it is worth it. I too was soooo scared of surgery since I had never had it before and post op complications and is this still too new of a procedure ect. Looking back now I know it was a little silly to be soo scared, and I did all the research I'm sure u will too about complications, death/mortality rates ect...I even looked up my specific mds rates online... like said above, only u can make this choice, the band won't work for u until u work for it, but ur still young and have children u want to be around for...I think after u do ur own research you will make the best decision for you :)

Mark, here we are the medical community reaching out to you. All that has been written here on this posting site is true. It is up to you and I think having seen up close and personal what can go wrong can give us a bit of a stop sign and the hibbie gibbies however, please remember all of the good things that we have seen. Yes,, surgery is a serious thing and should not be taken lightly, do your due diligence and try to find your peace with whatever procedure you choose you know that your mindset will be important in this process. It was worth the risks to me and I'd do it all over again.

keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!