Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Itchy red rash around incisions

Hey guys. I noticed about 5 days ago my incisions started itching. I assumed it was healing and I tried to not scratch it as much as possible. Well it got so bad I started scratching around them. Now they are sorta puffy and red and itchy. They are warm but it's little bumps like rash bumps. My doctor is 2 hours away so it's not like I can just drop by. I don't think it's infected bc they're not oozing or anything. I have very sensitive skin so that could be the case too bc the last of the glue came off a few days ago. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hey guys. I noticed about 5 days ago my incisions started itching. I assumed it was healing and I tried to not scratch it as much as possible. Well it got so bad I started scratching around them. Now they are sorta puffy and red and itchy. They are warm but it's little bumps like rash bumps. My doctor is 2 hours away so it's not like I can just drop by. I don't think it's infected bc they're not oozing or anything. I have very sensitive skin so that could be the case too bc the last of the glue came off a few days ago. Has this happened to anyone else?

hi Amber,

This happened me too. Once they started healing they were itching me like crazy and I irritated them, they got red/purplish and puffy. I'm 4 weeks post-op and they still get a little itchy sometimes. I wouldn't worry too much, but you know your body best and if they don't seem right maybe you should have your regular Doc just take a look.

I had an allergic reaction to the surgical tape. They used Tepaderm Surgical Tape. Now it's on my list of medical things I "can't" do.

My surgery was on the 27th and uncovered the incisions about 5 days out. I saw my Dr. this past Saturday and he gave me an RX to help the healing process. Now, they are much better and they are finally starting to heal. Other than that.... I have had NO other problems.

(Guess...there had to be something....)

Do you still have your incisions covered?

I have had the same thing happen to me lately. I was able to avoid scratching them but what seemed to help ALOT was a tiny rub of baby oil on them each morning. It got rid of the glue AND decreased the itchiness. The PA at my surgeon's office suggested it.

Could you go to your pcp? That way he could just check to make sure its not infected...that's what I would do

I emailed a pic of them to my surgeon because I have now broken out into tiny red bumps all over my abdomen. He td me to put some benadryl cream around the incisions and it should get better. It seems I had an allergic reaction to the glue and tape they used. I didn't know to tell them this because I've never had surgery. I was going to ask them if it's okay to take a benadryl pill or tablet or liquid but forgot. (I go in his office with 21 questions but can't remember them until I leave). Is there anything in a benadryl we can't have? I'm a teacher, by no means someone in the medical field! Those ingredients may as well be in German!