Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Erosion

Has anyone ever heard of having lapband erosion 6 months post op. I am having problems bc I have 0 restriction. Had a flouroscopy xray done and after 10cc of fill, the barium flowed through really fast. so now doc thinks it could be erosion. But how can that happen so soon? From the recent xray, he said its not slipped and there are no leaks. What else could it be? Could the band simply just have malfuntioned. It was working perfectly up until then. I'm so upset. I can't believe it could be erosion so soon. Any experienced bandster out there have an opinion?

Oh no! I don't have any info to share, but I'm sorry for your complication & interested in what you find out... I hope things turn out ok for you.

I accidentally found out that I had erosion but only 3mm ion size 4 months post op. We are not sure how it happened. Maybe your band unclipped itself or wasnt properly placed in your stomach? It is kind of weird to have that bad of erosion so soon

Thank you both sp much for your posts. I having surgery this Froday. I'll let you know how it turns put. I'm praying so hard for no erosion, just some other explanation. Thank ypu again, very much!

hi liz....it may be smething about the bands, i had mine placed on March 22 nd, last year....down 40 pounds and all of the sudden,,,,,,NO restriction and i have migrated port issues. dr pulled all Fluid out b4 a floroscope was scheduled....was supposed to be at 11 cc and like 4 came out.....long story short - went back in under machine had a documented 4cc, added 6cc...i am at 10cc. for the next three days there was actual restriction, i would eat like and oz of cheese and be satisfied, full of gas and come day 3 after fill....NO restriction. my dr is 70 miles away and i ll see him on the first, but im like you-wondering what the he.......double L. i dont want another surgery, but if its band malfunction-ill have no choice and do i wanna go with the band again or do i have the gastric route en y thing done(which i am really against)? somebody give me answers, i feel so disappointed in myself like, i have let everyone in my family down too....

Hi Ginnys! Do not despair! I had my surgery yesterday and I'll tell you about it, but one of the nurses there told me to look at this as just a bump in the road on your journey to losing your weight. And she is right. Another one said these things are simply mechanical devices and as with mechanical device things can and do go wrong. MY doctor too is about 70 miles away from where I live. And all the while when I knew something was wrong, I was a nut going up there sometimes twice in one week. It is all so stressful. But just try to stay calm. (would you listen to me) I did get an answer yesterday. You are not going to believe what the problem was. Apparently there is a buckle type of thing on the band that secures it around your stomach. Well the buckle came undone. My doc said he has no idea how, he has never seen or heard of anything like this before. He just buckled it back, made sure it was secure and sewed me back up. I was thrilled because it wasn't erosion. During this time of "What the heck!?" I gained 7 pounds. But as soon as I am healed, I am getting back on track and I will continue on my journey. And you will too. Just hang in there; you'll get your answers. Let me know how you make out. I'm girl who believes in prayer and I will pray for you.

AlienBandit, you were exactly right! My band unclipped itself! I am so happy though, I have to say. I'm all fixed up and as soon as I am healed from my surgery, my game is on! Thanks again for your input! And good luck to you!