Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for a fill

Sign in to follow this  

I am needing some advice here. I am scheduled for my first fill in over six months. I have not been a good bander in recent months and have eaten the wrong foods and done way too much snacking.

My question is...what would you do to prepare yourself for a fill? I am scheduled for a fill a week from today.

Someone suggested that I go back on full liquids prior to my fill. Would you recommend this and for how long?

I finally have the money (self pay) to get back on track this year and I am excited about where the year will take me. I want to go into this fill in the most healthy way possible so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just remembered why I do not post here very often. I can never seem to get any advice when I ask for it. Out of all these members, no one could take the time to respond. There were 40+ views and not a single response. Thanks for nothing. Guess I'll go elsewhere for the information.

my surgeon just asked that i come in with an empty stomach. i tried to schedule my fills early in the morning because of his request.

good for you for going getting back on track!! you've come too far to give up!

Thanks for the reply. I had that fill today and I am doing pretty well so far. I did five days of full liquids just to be on the safe side. Plus it helped me get my mind back to where it needs to be. According to the clinic scales, I only gained 5 pounds in 8 months. Not too bad for someone who has needed a fill for over 6 months.

I am in a similar situation. I went quite some time without a fill and I could tell I was starting to eat way more than I should. I was getting bad about grabbing little Snacks here and there too. And not the healthy type! I wouldn't know why you should go on liquids for that many days before the fill....but my doc always tells me 2 weeks of liquids after the fill. I think he is a little extreme...so I am going to do full liquids for a few days...then slowly go back to soft foods. I am reevaluating myself...I think carbs are my problem. I had surgery in June of 09, lost 30lbs, then stopped. I think I have been on more of a maintenance tyhpe diet ever since. A little to soon for maintenance...I still want to lose about 40 pounds! I am hoping this fill I got on Wed. will help. I never did do the 1/4 cup of food thing, so I guess I have been "under" filled for some time now...always really. I just have to keep telling myself that this is my chance...if I can't lose weight this way, I will be in trouble! I think the new year calls for a new attitude and a reality check! Good luck Dianna!

I clicked on your entry cause I am going in for my first fill and I am a bit scared of what to expect. There has been a ton of people, saying a ton of different things. I wish you luck. Congrats on deciding to get back on the 'band wagon'. Haha no pun intened. JuLz :D

I just remembered why I do not post here very often. I can never seem to get any advice when I ask for it. Out of all these members, no one could take the time to respond. There were 40+ views and not a single response. Thanks for nothing. Guess I'll go elsewhere for the information.

I am in a similar situation. I went quite some time without a fill and I could tell I was starting to eat way more than I should. I was getting bad about grabbing little Snacks here and there too. And not the healthy type! I wouldn't know why you should go on liquids for that many days before the fill....but my doc always tells me 2 weeks of liquids after the fill. I think he is a little extreme...so I am going to do full liquids for a few days...then slowly go back to soft foods. I am reevaluating myself...I think carbs are my problem. I had surgery in June of 09, lost 30lbs, then stopped. I think I have been on more of a maintenance tyhpe diet ever since. A little to soon for maintenance...I still want to lose about 40 pounds! I am hoping this fill I got on Wed. will help. I never did do the 1/4 cup of food thing, so I guess I have been "under" filled for some time now...always really. I just have to keep telling myself that this is my chance...if I can't lose weight this way, I will be in trouble! I think the new year calls for a new attitude and a reality check! Good luck Dianna!

Welcome back to the 'band wagon'. I had surgery on January 24th, and I was suppose to be on liquids for almost 2 weeks, after abiut 5-7 days I was so famished that I started to cheat and eat real food. So I ended up gaining 5 pounds back...now I am fighting hard...working out and trying to lose that extra 5 pounds before my fill on Tuesday. I know I will have to be on a liquid diet for a few days, lets hope I can hold it together and really keep to the restrictions they require. The really haven't said ...Do you know if I have to do anything special before a fill?

It is disheartening to see all the views and know that ppl couldn't be bothered to respond. Not making excuses for those viewers, but the board has been in a state of flux for weeks working not working, working a little, etc. I for one, have never seen your post.

As you mentioned, grazing/snacking is not the best way to use the band, but I am happy for you that you gained so little wt. Going "on maintenance" every few months may not be a bad thing as it can give your body and mind time to adjust and shift. You made the decision on your own to make the band start working again for you and that is wonderful because it is probably a different motivation from when you started.

The 2nd best thing I did for my self was to get a personal trainer...I hate exercise and without her gentle encouragement I would not be as healthy as I am.

Best wishes and keep posting.

Mimi