Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band!! No, Sleeve! No, never mind, maybe nothing..

BMI 40 (finally, instead of 39.4...) 40 years old, otherwise healthy. Going thru pre-diet. About to lose insurance that pays for WLS.

Thought I wanted a Band, then read of the never ending issues. Some of you it works out, the rest of you get blamed that you aren't doing something right.

Looked at Sleeve. 1/2 your stomach-a essential organ, gone. And who knows if I might need that over the next 45 years! Serious. But, sounds pretty good for me. A way to not be hungry all the time. What a relief that would be. BUT, when they cut out the stomach, they also cut out the hunger hormone, Gherlin, but that also regulates temperature, hence why many Sleeve people are COLD (thin, but cold) all the time. So back to band, which I know won't work forever, but worry about cost of complications when I won't have WLS insurance coverage. Ports flipping,etc.. Can I do this myself? Obviously not, as here I am.

Anyone actually have the Band work? Got any ideas for me?

Hi,

I would suggest you look at the gallery threads where people post their success stories. There is also a thread for people who have lost over 100 pounds. Why do you think the band won't work forever? Granted, I've only been banded a month but I have yet to feel hunger (and my calorie intake is around 700 a day). I've lost 25 pounds in a month and feel like I could keep doing this forever.

You may see posts from people who have had complications - but I hear that most of those complications are rare.

I think you should read as much as you can about the procedures. See if you can find a support group in your area - go and speak with people who have had the surgeries done. Your surgeon may prefer one option over another for you health and any comorbidities you might have.

I find it is all about being prepared. Doing as much reading as you can will help.

Best wishes.

I think the question you need to answer is how badly you want to lose weight. If you have a substantial amount of weight to lose, and you don't want to have to work at it as much, then maybe the sleeve is right for you. You may also want to look at vertical sleeve plication, a different kind of sleeve surgery that doesn't remove that large portion of the stomach. (As I understand it. I may be mistaken.) RNY is out, because it's one of the most radical surgeries.

The thing about banding that appealed most to me is that it's reversible, if there are complications. So even if I'm one of those who never has a problem, I'll be fine. If I'm one of those who DOES develop problems at some point, the band can be removed, and I can go back to my (mostly) pre-surgery condition.

Only you can decide what you want to do, and how you're going to do it. There are plenty of self-pay people here, and there are plenty of very experienced surgeons in Mexico who will do the surgery for just a few thousand dollars. You do have options.

Good luck!

Dave

Well, I had the band put in back in 2007. Absolutely loved it. I lost 80 lbs., then I got pregnant. Due to severe nausea and vomiting from prenatal Vitamins, my band slipped. We did surgery (while 16 wks prego) to remove it. It was my decision to remove it b/c who knew if the vomiting would stop? I couldn't keep having surgeries to repair the slip. Anyhow...I am now scheduled to get my band put back in Feb 23rd!!! I am thrilled. One main reason I chose the band was b/c it is reversible. Prior to my pregnancy in 2009, I didn't have any complications wthe band at all. I followed my doctor's and nutrionist's advice and the band worked for me. I had a gym membership and personal trainer (off and on) and worked my tail off--literally!

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You just have to figure out what you truly want and will be happy with. For me, the other surgeries were just too drastic and permanent for me. But for some people, that is okay with them.

I certainly wish you the best in your decision.