Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

Banded on Sept 10 2010, to date I have lost 35 pounds, noticing some hair loss. Does anyone have this and know what I can do?

Thanks,

KRP

Hello All,

Banded on Sept 10 2010, to date I have lost 35 pounds, noticing some hair loss. Does anyone have this and know what I can do?

Thanks,

KRP

I havent had the problem but My Dr told me hairloss is due to a lack of Protein. Also I have heard you can take Biotin tablets... but I would suggest you speak to your Dr. to be sure that is right for your situation.

I havent had the problem but My Dr told me hairloss is due to a lack of Protein. Are you getting enough Protein? I am not sure how much we are supposed to eat.... I wondered about that too.

Also I have heard you can take Biotin tablets... but I would suggest you speak to your Dr. to be sure that is right for your situation.

At my last drs appt we had this conversation. i swore i was going to go bald lol and i told him that just wasn't a good look for me. :-) he told me he didn't noticed the Hair loss but said it usually stops about 6 months out. said it's from rapid weight loss, hormone flucations, maybe not enough Protein, stress and many other things. said not to worry about it unless the hair wasn't growing back and then we'd look into it. but i am happy to report i have nice new short hair growing back in. you can take the Biotin but make sure it will pass through the band without getting stuck. on the protein here is what i have found out-- The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams. hope that helps.

Hi, I haven't been banded yet but the nutritionist advised me that hair loss can be associated with lack of Protein. She advised me that Protein needs to be at least 15gram s or more and 5 grams or less Carbs. Atkins Makes a great Protein Drink with exactly that amount. I found it at Wal-Mart for $6.97. Hope this helps Good LUCK!!!

Ps. it also has 20% Biotin which is good for the hair!

Yes, I am in the hair-loss stage myself. I was banded in the end of June and I started noticing it about 3 months ago - lots and lots of extra hair coming out. The bathroom looked like a freaking wookie showered in there. I went to get my hair cut a couple weeks ago and sheepishly told the gal, if she sees extra hair in the sink, it's normal for me right now. She said not to worry, I had PUH-LENTY of hair left. That gave me huge relief. To me, I felt like I had lost a huge amount of hair, but in reality we have so much hair, we can stand to lose a lot. I upped my Multi-Vites (Vitafusion gummies) to taking them twice a day and making sure I try to get more Protein (always have a hard time getting enough in) and I'm trying to drink more and keep myself hydrated (Crystal Light Lemonade with some sugar-free cherry Syrup is to die for and almost calorie-free.) It's definitely helped - I'm not losing as much, but I still am losing some. I've read that 8 months to a year is not abnormal, and since my hairdresser assured me I was fine, I have a lot less anxiety about it. It can happen to anyone with a significan weight loss.

Hang in there!

april

I dont really believe Protein and only Protein is the answer.

I didnt noticeably lose hair but I've always been a shedder, I always leave hair all over the bathroom and plug up the shower drain, my brushes are always full of it, its amazing I have any but it never ever thins. However I do have a problem with frizz because I've always got little regrowing hairs sticking up everywhere.

Anyhow, I've always been lowish on Iron and last year was diagnosed with bowel cancer, a bleeding tumour had absolutely decimated my Iron levels. Then I had chemotherapy which didnt help. Long story short, band was unfilled for the surgery to remove the tumour (I'm all better, pathology all clear) and I have been eating much much better than I was able to with my band for the past five years. Way more salad, fruit, vegies, bigger servings of protein foods (which importantly include iron). Radiation therapy put me into menopause, no more periods. My iron levels have skyrocketed back to well within normal levels.

And my hair? Its freaking glorious, lol. No more shedding, its a miracle.

So I think Hair loss and shedding is probably due to generalised lack of nutrition, and I'm not sure it can be replaced with pills. My hair was never bad, it never actually thinned but the difference after eight weeks of normal eating is quite incredible. I still dont eat a high protein diet, I havent really increased protein but have greatly increased fruit, vegies and complex carbohydrates - bread is now a part of every day again. You need to mix and the interaction of natural wholesome foods to give you really good health, not a Vitamin pill or a Protein shake. You can still do that with a band of course, but maybe not with a very tight one.

I was warned about hair loss and told if it happened to me to up my Protein. I was banded on Nov 17 2010 and i have been a bad bandster and not been doing my Protein drinks for like 3 weeks now..i just got so tired of them.. what do you know my hair started falling out..but my hairstylist told me that I am still growing new hair..she showed me ..so thats good. since I cant do my Protein Drinks right now i added an extra 8oz glass of milk and have just tried to get more Protein in through my food. I guess protein really is important! lol.

weight.png

take Biotin 5mg not micro grams it will start coming back in a couple of weeks. you can get it at wole food if u get it from Walmart it is not the right strenght

Most of the time hair loss after weight loss surgery is due to a process called

Telogen Effluvium. There's a really good article that explains it in detail

here:

http://www.obesityaction.org/magazine/ywm22/wlsandhairloss.php

I'd like to add that if you are of a certain age, and post-menopausal, it might

be MORE than surgery & weight loss going on. I had started to have hair

thinning before banding, after banding it got worse. I went to my PCP and had

lots of blood work drawn..there are many imbalances that can result in Hair loss

but nothing was out of order. I got referred to a dermatologist and the

Dermatologist determined that my hair loss is not temporary, but permanent due

to severe hormonal changes. I've been placed on Rogaine and am thinking about

looking into Propecia.

While it's very likely that the stress from banding and weight loss is the cause

and the thinning will be only temporary, if it really bothers you, get it

checked out. In my case, I can prevent further loss, I can't get back the

follicles that are gone forever. :(

Hello All,

Thanks,

KRP

Hello,

I was banded on March 31st 2010, to date I have lost 75lbs. I have had some Hair loss myself and the only real cure for it is to beef up your protein!!! I've tried shampoos as well, but not as effective as the Protein :)

Most of the time hair loss after weight loss surgery is due to a process called

Telogen Effluvium. There's a really good article that explains it in detail

here:

http://www.obesityac...andhairloss.php

I'd like to add that if you are of a certain age, and post-menopausal, it might

be MORE than surgery & weight loss going on. I had started to have hair

thinning before banding, after banding it got worse. I went to my PCP and had

lots of blood work drawn..there are many imbalances that can result in Hair loss

but nothing was out of order. I got referred to a dermatologist and the

Dermatologist determined that my hair loss is not temporary, but permanent due

to severe hormonal changes. I've been placed on Rogaine and am thinking about

looking into Propecia.

While it's very likely that the stress from banding and weight loss is the cause

and the thinning will be only temporary, if it really bothers you, get it

checked out. In my case, I can prevent further loss, I can't get back the

follicles that are gone forever. :(

I just thought I'd share something with you. Like you, I had hair loss before weight loss. I had a thyroid work up, been to the doctor, and I realize I just have to live with it. I use Joan Rivers "Great Hair Day" to help make my scalp less noticeable, and I use a product called Phyto 9 that I got at Sephora to protect the hair I still have. I'm concerned about losing even more hair now that I've been banded, but I decided losing weight was more important that having a full head of hair.

Women usually just have thinning--and don't go completely bald, so protect what you have and try not to lose more. At least that's my motto!