Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new from texas

sls
Sign in to follow this  

I had my lapband surgery in 2006. Since that date I lost 75 lbs and gained 40 of those back. I haven't been to my doctor to refill my band in over a year. I would like a restart diet plan. I am very frustrated with self, because I know how expensive the operation is, and I am blessed to have been able to get it. I never went to any meetings, just gave up all the way around. I know this works, and I want to start over from scratch and follow it so it can do the job its supposed to do.

I had my lapband surgery in 2006. Since that date I lost 75 lbs and gained 40 of those back. I haven't been to my doctor to refill my band in over a year. I would like a restart diet plan. I am very frustrated with self, because I know how expensive the operation is, and I am blessed to have been able to get it. I never went to any meetings, just gave up all the way around. I know this works, and I want to start over from scratch and follow it so it can do the job its supposed to do.

I totally understand how you feel. I had Lap Band surgery 12/14/2010; had 5 fills over the next 8 months until the band was so tight I threw up on a regular basis. STILL, I DIDN'T LOSE EVEN ONE POUND! Drinking a lot of skim milk (not during meals) probably was my downfall. I switched to unsweetened Almond Milk about 4 months ago and I don't drink nearly as much as I used to - still no weight loss. Today I am four pounds heavier than when I went into surgery; the counselor at the Bariatric Center said I need to start exercising. I keep a 2-year-old daily from 8 to 6 and all I want to do after that is chill out. Besides, why do people like us have the surgery in the first place??? If we exercised regularly we wouldn't need the Band. I have recently been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and am on medication; I have high blood pressure, high triglycerides and low HDL, sleep apnea and chronic insomnia; I should have refused the Lap Band and gone to another surgeon for the Bypass. Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda . . . I'm having some of the fill removed today so that I won't have to worry about throwing up in public anymore.

I totally understand how you feel. I had Lap Band surgery 12/14/2010; had 5 fills over the next 8 months until the band was so tight I threw up on a regular basis. STILL, I DIDN'T LOSE EVEN ONE POUND! Drinking a lot of skim milk (not during meals) probably was my downfall. I switched to unsweetened Almond Milk about 4 months ago and I don't drink nearly as much as I used to - still no weight loss. Today I am four pounds heavier than when I went into surgery; the counselor at the Bariatric Center said I need to start exercising. I keep a 2-year-old daily from 8 to 6 and all I want to do after that is chill out. Besides, why do people like us have the surgery in the first place??? If we exercised regularly we wouldn't need the Band. I have recently been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and am on medication; I have high blood pressure, high triglycerides and low HDL, sleep apnea and chronic insomnia; I should have refused the Lap Band and gone to another surgeon for the Bypass. Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda . . . I'm having some of the fill removed today so that I won't have to worry about throwing up in public anymore.

Work WITH your band. You are part of the reason that many turn from the band. If you would've gone with the bypass you'd still be in the situation that you are in saying woulda coulda shoulda. The band is not a cure all, it is a tool. Keep the diary like it was suggested. Look back over the food choices, tweek your diet. Exercise, take the little tike for a walk. Do you play with him? And no, if exicerise was a cure all, none of us would be here. Me myself, I just don't have the energy to get it going. My band will HELP me to do that. Do you fry foods, eat out a lot, fast food, salty Snacks, candy, any of those? If so that may be the problem. If not, maybe you should check in with your doctors to see what other problems you may have. Good luck and don't give up!

I've had nothing, considering Band or Sleeve (don't want to be cold all the time). IMHO, it seems there is alot of *blame the patient* that goes on with Lap-Band failures, the 'i need to get back on the programs', when it is the Band to blame anyway. Not a perfect system. Some of those rules are the same ones we couldn't follow in the first place before we gained weight, if we could have done them then, we'd not needed the surgery in the first place. But, maybe pretend you don't have a band (since it is acting absent anyway), watch calories/carbs, maybe you've got some sneaky ones that have gotten in there. good Luck.

Hello ADORAblesista,

Just curious - how long have you had the lap band? Seriously, do you think I went through the surgery and all the testing that led up to it if I weren't serious about making lifestyle changes? It took a year to get final approval from my doctor AFTER all requirements had been met. I'm surprised that, even though you know practically Nothing about me other than my first post, you think you know enough to judge my lack of success with the lap band. Again, how long have YOU had the band???? We're ALL excited and pumped at first, but some do better than others for many different reasons. FYI, my doctor removed all the fill from my band today (6.2 CC's) because it has been too tight for the past 6 months. Too tight is just as bad as too loose, he said. I'll start again in a few weeks after my stomach has time to "rest", and he also ordered an upper GI to make sure the band is in the correct position. Not all failures are due to patient non-compliance, and most of us just do the best we can. So, please don't be so quick to pass judgement the next time. Here's hoping you have the perfect Lab Band experience and everything goes as planned. Good Luck!

p.s. your photo is lovely.

K.Boone I do not think she was judging you she was going by your own words. Everyone knows we should exercise with the Band. The Band is to help us lose the weight not lose it for us. I know my surgeon made it clear to me what I was going to have to eat and I would have to exercise. I worked out before surgery but now with the band I know I have a little help to help me lose and keep it off so I am more motivated to do it. I watch my 2 grandbadies (4 year old and 19 month old) twice a week while I work at home (Graphis) and when they go I am pooped too but I still make myself work out I just rest for a while first. It is not easy but a must. Plus it will help you feel better and increase your weight loss.

You have alot going on with different meds and that might make it harder to lose also. Plus having the kids is like a full time job. My age (50) and many different meds slow me down some too.

Have you tried some in-person support groups. It always helps to be around people going throught the same things you are going through. It is the best it is not like talking on the boards, you need both.

Staring over might help you gain control. It is sad that the Band really does not help some as easy as it does others. Sometimes I wish I had a bypass too I was just afraid my pouch would stretch in the coming years and I was self pay and it was about $5000 more. The band has worked for me. . . but I know several who have struggled with it.

Don't get your feeling hurt . . .it is so easy to do on these boards and if people were listening instead of reading the same words would sound a little different. Hang in there things will get better. Good luck to you!!

SiS - That is one of the good things about the band you can go get a fill and start over. Best of luck to you. Like i said before you must find a support group it makes a huge difference. I met some people on these boards and we started our own small support group, we all talk almost everyday. Just start a thread looking for people in your area and then you all plan when you want to meet and where. It is so easy.

Cheri

Well Sis I just looked at your profile we are not that far away. I am in Hitchcock, close to Galveston. If you would like to maybe we could meet for coffee sometime. I also attend a support group meeting in Alvin also on the 3rd Saturday of the month. Private message me if you want to meet up or want to know where the support group meets at.

Cheri

Hi my name is Leigh Anne and I was banded Dec. 18th 2010. I haven't lost a pound and haven't had a fill. We are all part of an "elite" group of persons. We should be positive and encouraging toward one another.

No this isn't going to be easy. Weight loss sucks. And if anyone of us were "perfect" we wouldn't have the band and we wouldn't be on here.

I'm not getting discouraged or mad or upset---I'm gonna make this work for me!!! We can do this-yes we can.

Leigh Anne Nave

Temple Tx

banded 12/18/10

no fills YET!!!!

K.Boone I agree with 123crod I don't think that ADORAblesista was trying to judge you at all and she was right there is a mental part of us that has to change before we will see any physical changes. We have to see our band as tools not solutions. I wish you the best of luck.

Ps I totally agree with 123crod about the support group.