Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wearing old clothes again?

Okay my weight has been so up and down. Before I got pregnant this last time I got to 174 and I was wearing 14's. The day I found out I was pregnant I was 196 and was wearing a size 16. I kept those jeans b/c the 14's were really my favorites. They were 100% cotton with no spandex or stretch in them.

Here's the thing though I'm now 191 and I can't even wear the 16's:( They won't button and I know it's b/c my stomach and my weight is just in a different spot now but it's depressing me. I have some Old Navy jeans that I just bought in a 14 that are now too big but I still can't wear the old stuff hanging in my closet.

When I try it on I get dissapointed that it doesn't fit. Should I just donate to someone and stop worrying with it? Or keeping losing and try to wear them again?

Don't get me wrong I've lost like 35 pounds and I'm really happy with that I'm just confused as to why I'm such a different size now.

Are you excersising this time around? That may make a difference. Also, I think I lost weight a little differently with the high protien diet than I have in the past. If the clothes are discouraging you, I would get rid of them. No sense in keeping something around that is discouraging.

You said that you had found out you were pregnant. I know that, for me, my two pregnancies have totally shifted where my weight is. My stomach is still huge now, even though I am lower than I was when I got pregnant with either one.

If they are depressing you, get rid of them.. give away or sell. If you can make yourself put them away for a period of time, 2 weeks, month, whatever and then try them again, then keep. I know how you feel, before banding when I would try and try to lose weight and then go and try clothes and no progress.. waaaahhh. And I'd eat to kill the pain. :(

I just got 7 bags of clothing (.. omg.. it started out as 3) from a gal on freecycle. There's every size from 12 to 22 in the bags. I'm slowly going through them and picking out what I want and the rest I will re-freecycle. Right now about in an 18, but I just found a sleeveless (!!) dress in the bag in a 16 that I'm keeping because maybe by Spring I'll be down to that. I don't like sleeveless, but for free I can figure something out to wear over it

I also shop at a local charity store that supports local Hospice care. I've gotten some real bargain there.

Hang in there, you WILL get smaller. And the suggestion to exercise is a good one. I find that doing weight lifting is reshaping my body as I lose. The class I take isn't about body building but shaping and toning. The one I take is called Body Pump, but there are other good classes out there. Look around in your area.

Your post really struck me because I noticed something similar. Last time I lost weight circa 2000 I bought a suit from the Talbots outlet near their headquarters. FABULOUS deals to be had there. Anyway. This suit must have been close to fitting but I never lost enough to wear it. It was one of the few things that made it through my move. I tried it on the other day and the jacket I could probalbly wear now but the skirt is too tight though I can zip it (it's a straight skirt and I am a pair shaped person!). I know that I weight a lot more now than when I bought that suit. Yes, I was exercising then (like a fiend twice a day!) including weight training. Though at the time I was doing more machine cardio vs swimming. Also I am more Protein focused this time around.

I would definitley get rid of those Jeans. They are not worth worrying about. Maybe your weight shifted like others said and you just need a different fit now. Now a days they make so many different styles (low rise, hipsters, high rise) just toss those pants and be proud of where you are today.

I have lost weight, gained it back, lost it again, gained it back etc many times. WHen I was skinny I would find some of the best clothes and I always refused to throw them away.

Even when I got to my low weight when I could wear those clothes and they still didn't fit I kept them. Now I am at a lower weight then when the clothes used to fit me and now they are too big. It makes me feel great to look at myself in those clothes and remember all the frustration I used to feel towards them because now I love them so much more because they are now too big.

I would keep the those clothes and have them as motivation. Then when you are too small for the clothes you can have a good laugh at all the anger you had towards them :)

In my adult life I was never small. I have been smaller than I am now. I have saved a few pair of nice jeans hoping that I can fit into them again! I tried one pair on a few days ago that I needed 1 inch to close the button.....it fits now! It's almost snug but I could wear it if I wanted to for the day. This weekend I plan to get all of them out and see if I really want to save any.

I had old clothes that were too small also. I always kept them hoping to wear them again. I tried them on and they were too tight. I put them back in the closet. So many pounds later I went back and they fit. I wore them a month or so and now that I am at goal they are huge on me. I love the satisfaction of accomplishing this. I would keep them and use them as a goal. I had a baby in between too and I they didn't fit exactly the same but they fit well enough to wear in public. You can do it!

I never kept much from when I was thinner. I did save some jeans that I just got back into. Though out of the like 5 I had 3 of them are already to big on me. Looks like I will be going to Old Navy or maybe Marshalls soon. Don't want to buy jeans that are to expensive since hopefully I won't be wearing them long. My sweatshirts are to big on me too, need to find somewhere to buy some more.

As for wearing different sizes at different weights. A couple years ago I got down to 237 lbs, and by the time I got to maybe 245 or 250 I was able to wear scrubs that were 2XL. I gained weight back and it seemed to all go to my hips, so this time when I was that weight I wasn't able to wear the 2XL due to not going over my hips. I am just now at 230 lbs finally able to get back into 2XL scrubs. Stupid hips...LOL