Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks Post Op and First meal at a restaurant!

I feel like last night was a huge accomplishment for me and I just had to share! I've been pretty bummed the last few weeks since surgery because I am such a social person and I have been couped up in my house. Sure, I've gone to work and to a movie, but nothing really social with friends. I was beginning to feel like I was never again going to be able to go to a restaurant! (maybe over dramatic I know) Yesterday my husband and I were doing some house work and there was a commercial for Red Lobster on and I could see my husband salivating, he has been eating healthier too since I started and has lost 7 pounds already not evening trying! (oh how I wish I could be so lucky!) We had plans with friends and were trying to plan something non food related but it was getting late and we still hadn't had any dinner. We decided to meet them at Red Lobster for dinner, and I would see how it goes. I feel like this was a HUGE accomplishment to be able to feel semi normal again! We went and I ordered the spinach and artichoke dip appetizer and mashed the chunks with my fork and chewed very slowly and just ate the dip without the chips. I know this may have not been the healthiest choice in the future, once I can move on to non pureed foods, but for now to eat part of that was such a good feeling! I can't wait to return there when I can eat the fresh fish and vegetables without having to mash everything before putting it in my mouth!

weight.png

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! i am 7 weeks post op and it is still hard for me to go out to eat! I want to so I can be social but the food all looks so good so I have to control my portions. Not to mention that the waitresses always look at me like im on drugs when I tell them i dont want a drinK! not even a Water. like its sac-religious or something! LOL. Once you get further out post op and can have more food choices a good tip is to ask for a to go box right when they bring your food. That way you can portion out what your going to eat, put the rest in the box and forget about it until your next meal. It really helps me! keep up the good work!

Good for you! Glad you were able to find something that could make the evening out enjoyable. I find eating out isn't really a problem at all, you just have to do a little pre-planning and if it's spur of the moment, have your will power with you....lol

Here's a little trick I've started to employ in restaurants:

Ask for a To Go box when your meal is delivered. Put away what you know you DON'T want to eat, leaving only what you feel is the right portion for you. Out of sight, out of mind. Enjoy the rest of your meal, and when your plate is empty - guess what? You've just had dinner out with friends, and nobody felt weird! :)

it's a little thing, but it works pretty well. (And thanks to whoever it was here who told me about it.)

Dave

At restaurants I do have a glass of Water before ordering. Normally it takes at least 30 minutes before you get the food so I don't think there is really a problem. I let the waitstaff fill the glass and then don't drink it. That way they don't ask why you dont want any more water.

I love to mess with the waiters when out to eat I never order Water and they spend the whole time trying to figure out why are you not drinking. I have had the manager at several places ask me why they did not get me something to drink. I know it is mean but also funny!

Cheri