Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just need to feel better about life!

LisaJ
Sign in to follow this  

Hello Everyone. I am seriously considering having the lap band surgery. I will have the procedure done at the Omni Center in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long the waiting list is and the cost of the procedure. I have to make some permanent changes in my life and I can't make these changes with a low self esteem. I feel that this procedure will help me gain the confidence I need to move forward with my life. I have been reading the topics on this site and I feel that this is the site to help me. Everyone is so positive. Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

Hello Everyone. I am seriously considering having the lap band surgery. I will have the procedure done at the Omni Center in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long the waiting list is and the cost of the procedure. I have to make some permanent changes in my life and I can't make these changes with a low self esteem. I feel that this procedure will help me gain the confidence I need to move forward with my life. I have been reading the topics on this site and I feel that this is the site to help me. Everyone is so positive. Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

Hi: I suggest telephoning the clinic and enquirying about the wait list, how much they charge, who the doctors are, what experience they have, what type of aftercare do the quarrantee, and many other questions you should have prepared before going in. Picking the clinic with the best doctor, the best aftercare is very important. The average cost is around $16,000.00 but there are lower charges as well by individual sugeons, but they don't necesarily have good aftercare.

Good luck

Hi: I suggest telephoning the clinic and enquirying about the wait list, how much they charge, who the doctors are, what experience they have, what type of aftercare do the quarrantee, and many other questions you should have prepared before going in. Picking the clinic with the best doctor, the best aftercare is very important. The average cost is around $16,000.00 but there are lower charges as well by individual sugeons, but they don't necesarily have good aftercare.

Good luck

Thanks Doddie for your reply. I am going to call tomorrow am. I am really hoping that the wait time isn't too long. I am really excited about this!. I was not sure what to ask the clinic so this helps me.

Hi Sadli,

Sorry, I am not from Saskatchewan but live in the Vancouver, BC, area, so I don't know the answers to your questions, but also want to encourage you to give them a call if they are the best in your area. I shopped around quite a bit and did A LOT of reading, learning and investigating before I made the decision to get banded. And, I researched like mad at who was experienced with the procedure and would be close enough and supportive for the continued care one needs afterwards.

I can totally relate to how you feel right now as I have been there before too. It is hard to get motivated to make changes when you are stuck in a rut and feeling down. I hope you will find the strength to investigate the band a lot and learn all you can about what is involved for it to be a successful tool for you. I spent hundreds of hours reading posts at this site and others before I was ready.

The Lapband really is an amazing tool if you know what to expect on this journey AND you are ready to make some changes. I was banded on Nov 16th, 2010, and can't believe how much better I feel already, in less than two months! I can already feel that my head is in a totally different place, a much healthier and happier one, and I know that you can do it too. Wishing you all the best in your journey to a thinner, happier and healthier you!

Cindy

(sorry, accidentally hit "post" twice and now can't seem to remove this duplication) oops! :-)

Hi Sadli,

Sorry, I am not from Saskatchewan but live in the Vancouver, BC, area, so I don't know the answers to your questions, but also want to encourage you to give them a call if they are the best in your area. I shopped around quite a bit and did A LOT of reading, learning and investigating before I made the decision to get banded. And, I researched like mad at who was experienced with the procedure and would be close enough and supportive for the continued care one needs afterwards.

I can totally relate to how you feel right now as I have been there before too. It is hard to get motivated to make changes when you are stuck in a rut and feeling down. I hope you will find the strength to investigate the band a lot and learn all you can about what is involved for it to be a successful tool for you. I spent hundreds of hours reading posts at this site and others before I was ready.

The Lapband really is an amazing tool if you know what to expect on this journey AND you are ready to make some changes. I was banded on Nov 16th, 2010, and can't believe how much better I feel already, in less than two months! I can already feel that my head is in a totally different place, a much healthier and happier one, and I know that you can do it too. Wishing you all the best in your journey to a thinner, happier and healthier you!

Cindy

Hi Cindy. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I was just looking at your weight loss thus far and you are doing amazing. Do you really feel good? Obviously, this was the right decision for you. I am so worried about what happens after the surgery. I, too, have spent hours and hours on this site reading about the procedure and what happens after. I am a little worried about the food getting stuck and the sliming and such. Does this happen to you often? Do you panic when this happens? I just have so many questions. Thank you again and good luck on your lifelong journey.

Hi Cindy. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I was just looking at your weight loss thus far and you are doing amazing. Do you really feel good? Obviously, this was the right decision for you. I am so worried about what happens after the surgery. I, too, have spent hours and hours on this site reading about the procedure and what happens after. I am a little worried about the food getting stuck and the sliming and such. Does this happen to you often? Do you panic when this happens? I just have so many questions. Thank you again and good luck on your lifelong journey.

Hi Sadli,

I can honestly say that I am feeling better than I ever thought I could, really! I was nervous, as most people are, and I did SO much prep and reading, but nothing can really prepare you fully and everyone's experience varies. What I have found is a lot of support at this site and elsewhere and it seems that no matter what issues may have come up for me, there is a solution, usually a very easy one, and there is so much support from fellow bandsters that nothing has been "too hard" at all to date. I did make sure that I had a great surgeon and team and I was and still am VERY determined to do exactly what they asked of me. I did not "test" myself or the band and I am incredibly careful with what I chose to eat. That said, the holidays were a bit hard in that the temptations were everywhere and there were just way too many "celebratory meals" with various family members, etc., most of whom have no idea I was banded. This made it a bit hard and twice I ended up stuck in the last two months, both times during a big family meal. In both cases, I had taken something to eat that I had not tried before, I probably took too large a bite, and I did not chew it properly enough and could feel right away that it would be a problem. I simply excused myself and retreated to the washroom. I can tell you that the feeling is NOT comfortable to have something stuck and I really don't want to do it again, if I can help it. However, nobody even noticed that I had been gone from the table for five minutes or so, and I was able to go back to my place, resume a pleasant evening and then simply removed the rest of my plate to the kitchen and quickly disposed of the rest of the food that I no longer wished to eat. It has only happened twice and both times it was a learning experience, and NOT insurmountable by any means. I did not panic like I thought I might and had lots of warning that a problem was at hand, and time to deal with it! ALL the rest of my meals have been pleasant. I eat from small plates, use tiny utensils at home to remind myself to take small bites, chew, chew, chew and enjoy! I get a lot more pleasure out of the taste of food than I ever have. I am actually savoring and enjoying my meals instead of just chomping down and stuffing my face like I used to. I was one of the fastest eaters I have ever met and really worried that it would be a problem for me. The band makes eating a totally different experience, but a more rewarding one than in the past. I think that I eat for longer now than I used to, even though I am probably eating 20% the volume that I used to. If I can answer any of your questions that you may have or offer any other advice, please feel free to write me directly if you wish. My e-mail address is mamaj@hotmail.ca and I check it several times a day. I don't log in to this website anywhere as often as I used to, but I am happy to help if I can. All the best to you!

Cindy