Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded in October

I need an opinion. I was banded October 19, 2010 and have only lost 9lbs. I've only had one fill, 4cc in a 10cc band. Is this abnormal? or has someone else had this slow of a start? I am still able to eat anything I want and I have no restriction! Help please.

Why only one fill? It seems like you should have had a few more by now. Don't worry about not having restriction with your current fill level, you obviously need more fill. In fact, be proud that you haven't gained because the band isn't working at all for you yet! My surgeon had me going in every few (3to 4) weeks for fills until I achieved restriction, so don't delay, give them a call and schedule a fill. You are in "bandster hell"- The period of time without restriction. So cut yourself a break. I always recommend the South Beach Diet to people in your situation because it does a great job of controlling hunger and it is very band friendly. (you can even lose weight on it, gasp) Also work on distracting yourself with nonfood activities that you enjoy, like reading, crafts, time with friends, etc. It will help to make this time go faster.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm four years out and have "seen it all..."

Some things I have learned about myself in the last 6-8wks that may help you.

1. Even tho I can eat much more than I do, I just don't. I have support around me so that keeps me accountable. When I'm having trouble with head hunger I talk to someone, helps so much. Also, knowing I have to face the people at my dr's office really helps me stay in line. I don't want to show up for weigh in and be heavier than last time, I would feel so bad about myself.

2. The right foods DO help fight hunger and cravings. Protein Snacks will take away my hunger in 15min. Cheesesticks, 2-3slices deli turkey, yogurt, cottage cheese or applesauce with Protein powder stirred in, South Beach Protein Bars or 10-15 almonds.

3. I use a calorie tracker app called My Fitness Pal. I faithfully log in all my bites and its set to 1200 cals now (I have no fill yet, could not survive on 800cals right now) Having this visual lets me know where I am each day. Last night, I only had 52 cals left after dinner but I wanted a snack. So I had to find one that fit in the 52 cals. Air popped popcorn with butter spray!

4. I eat 3meals and 2-3snacks daily. If I don't let myself ever get starving, its way more easier to control my food choices. So when I'm hungry, I eat! I keep all those good Snacks near me.

5. I still enjoy a few things that I identified as my absolute faves: 1 cup coffee every morning with real 1/2 n 1/2. Few times a week I nibble on Dove Dark chocolate pieces. No more than 2 per day, and not every day! Chic Fil A is my fave fast food...I can have 8pk nuggets only for 280 cals and loads of Protein so I make it a once weekly lunch or I can have a chicken Breakfast burrito that is large enough to cover Breakfast and my snack, at 470cals! I found a 40% reduced fat kettle chip...and once a week I can have a serving of 18chips for 140cals.

6. Exercise doesn't have to be long crazy visits at the gym. Workout dvds, Wii Fit, just walking or cleaning house works.

7. Spoil yourself in other ways! I let myself get a few new apps/songs in the Apple store each week, I splurge on things I love at Bath and Body WOrks.

You need to schedule a fill!

Once you have some restriction you will find it much easier to lose the weight. The diet advice that the previous poster gave you was good advice, if you combined high Protein low cal with the band then you are onto a winner.