Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the fence-both surgeries have things I can't take.

So here I am. Finally hit BMI 40. Yeah... I am also about to lose my insurance that pays for WLS. Doing the diet right now. Thought I wanted Band. No surgery for me! But...

Fears of no insurance coverage for maintenance, ways to check for leaks, self-pay for fills not happy (when I get a job myself, maybe my insurance will be better than the one hubby is getting). Have read alot about stomach erosion, slippage, never finding sweet spot, throwing up, chewing food to pulp, complications and many stories of Revised to Sleeve people.

Read about Sleeve; major surgery risks to be sure, but assuming (you know what they say about that..), it all goes well, sounds more livable, but since the Ghrelin part of your stomach is gone, many, many are also cold, the Ghrelin also regulates temp, these people are cold all the time, 1/2 your stomach is gone forever and B12 really should be supplemented (I can handle the B12, but what else is lurking?)...

Thinking, take my chances with the Band, hope something better comes out that is covered by some unknown future insurance when/if fails?

Thinking deal with being cold, but able to not eat like a bird and thinner forever..

Been on forums for days, getting more blue about all choices. My stats BTW are 40 year old Mom, 40BMI, 5 9", totally healthy otherwise, some knee problems!

Renniemommie

Renniemommie -

I understand how you are feeling. It took me about 3 years to decide that WLS was for me. I opted for the lap band (I will be banded on Monday 1/10). As far as your concerns, I too have heard the same things (slippage, throwing up etc.) - BUT - if you dig deeper you will see that most of the concerns you have are highly preventable. If you do what you are told by your medical team the likelihood of slipplage goes down greatly. If you chew, chew, chew and sip, sip, sip the throwing up aspect is also reduced. Yes you may have to "chew your food to a pulp" - although from other blogs I read this isn't always going to be the case- to me it is a small price to pay for the freedom of health.

Have you been to a seminar yet? They usually go over every option available and you can ask questions. Perhaps when you learn more, you will feel more comfortable making a decision.

In any event, good luck to you and I wish you success in your journey!

Amanda

Follow my journey:

www.thebandontherun.blogspot.com

You must remember that most of the people posting here are those with problems. Many of us who are doing well with the band are out living our lives. I try to spend a little time on here repaying the support I got when I was new.

While not every band problem is user caused, many are and mainly (I think) for thinking that the band is to do the work. Those folks depend on keeping the band tight and restricting the amount they are able to eat.

I don't use my band as a strangulation device (great quote I got from another bandster!!), I weigh & measure my food, eat that and move away from the table.

Granted, banding isn't for everyone. I'm thankful that there are different surgeries for different needs. I personally wouldn't want the sleeve right off the bat as I have a personal aversion to removing body parts, but that is just me. If I ever lost my band and was not a good candidate for having another.. the sleeve would be my second choice. Very glad I don't have to make that decision.

Good luck with your choices.

I know the financial concerns are a huge factor & goodness knows I couldn't have had the band surgery if my insurance didn't pay for it BUT I think the most important factor of which weight loss surgery a person selects needs to be life & eating style. What are your biggest food issues. For instance if you are a huge ice cream or milk shake junky the band will do little to stop you from over doing it on them where bypass adds a sugar reaction component. I do understand some banded people have "dumping" reactions to sugar but not a big number. Either surgery requires much user work so our head food issues need to be worked on no matter what.

It is a very tough choice, I agree with a previous poster about the seminars attend several if needed until you feel comfortable with a choice. I wish you luck!