Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PRE.... Pre Op diet....

I came up with an idea of how to approach the liquid diet phase without involving so much agony....someone else may have done this before but I thought I would pass it on in case others are stressing about this stage as well....

I am scheduled to be banded on the 28th of Jan. so I have to start my Liquid Protein diet on the 14th and that part worried me. How was I going to handle the cravings when I can only have Protein Shakes, yogurt and 1 cup of veggies a day. Then I remembered what happened when I use to do the Atkins diet. It basically has you eating no carbs the first few weeks, only Protein meats. It was not easy but at-least I got to eat solid food until I could get through de carbing myself .... and after the first week or so I was not as hungry, in fact I had to make myself eat so I didn't go into starvation mode. So that is the approach I have taken, as of Jan. 3rd I stopped eating carbs, I eat some veggies but have stuck to eating the protein meats and cheeses, doing it this way gives me more control in trying to curb my appetite. Hopefully this will make the transition into the liquid diet much easier and will give me less agony..... Would love to hear anyones thoughts on this approach.....

My doctor does not allow any caffeine for the first 4 weeks after surgery so I have also started to ween myself off of my coffee by cutting my amnt. by a 1/4 cup each day..... so far no Migraine and I am down to a 1/4 cup total tomorrow. I now am drinking decaff Chai tea with 1 tbls. of sugar free vanilla Creamer and one splenda and it tastes great. Trying to mentally sike myself into thinking its caffeinated...lol.

I am doing something very similar to you. I think it is a fabulous idea to start now! My doctor is a big fan of the low carb/no carb. I am on a no carb (less than 30 a day) until the liquid phase of my pre-op diet. He says it drastically shrinks the liver and makes surgery much more successful.

I am on day 2, and it is very difficult. I am sticking to meats, cheeses, and some green veggies. I am hoping it gets easier as the days pass. I think this will help me get accustomed to eating with the band as well.

Good Luck!

PUTTINGMYSELFFIRST....absolutely love your sign on name.... we should all have that same mentality. I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this same train of thought. I had read some posts on here where ppl were really struggling with hunger etc. during the liquid phase and I was trying anything I to have better success. I did cave on the caffeine part, too much for me to do both right now. I am doing "NO" carb as well except what I get through naturally with veggies and a little fruit. I am on day 5 now and its getting a little easier. Have you looked into the different Protein Shakes yet...my doc wants us to use a product that has Pure whey Protein isolate so I am going on a search today... would be great if I could just use the Atkins already made chocolate one... I like them. Do you have a surgery date yet?

I get my lap band on the 14th so I've been on the liquid diet for 7 days now and it seems to be that my doctor is more strict then others on what to have. So I'm only allowed protien shakes and broth and surgar free popsicles and Jello, tea drinks that are surgar free thats it. I have always loved my carbs and before I started this diet I thought this will be harder then the surgery how am I going to make it. And so far I have been strong and know that this is what needs to be done for my surgery, and I just need to do this. It is hard and going on day 7 now I feel half way there, but still have some work to do. It's a good thing you are starting to do this now then to wait because I regret not stopping eating and drinking certain things. You will be fine!! My hosptial had group yesterday for all the Pre op people and this was everyone concern not so much the diet after words. Good luck on your surgery on the 28th!!!

Pure whey isolate is a good source of Protein that your body can easily digest. All Protein is not created equal. I find Vitamin Shoppe has better prices than GNC (no I don't work for them). Try to find someone who really knows the products. You have to look carefully because Isolate is a more expensive protein and some products are 60% isolate and 40% whey something else. So be prepared that a 100% isolate will be more expensive.

I highly recommend the Hamilton Beech personal blender. You drink out of the blender cup so you don't have to wash two things. $15 at Walmart, KMart. I also froze fat free milk into milk cubes and blended them in; gives the shake a texture more like a real ice cream shake.< /p>

Honk, thanks for the info. :)

Blair-- I don't have a surgery date yet. I'm waiting on insurance approval. My paperwork should be sent in by the end of the day. I am hoping for a February surgery date. I am so glad that the no carb thing is getting is getting a little easier for you. Day 2 is tough!! I just bought some Atkins shakes. Mostly because they were on sale and they are low carbs. Right now I'm trying to stock my fridge with things that will help me be successful without the carbs. Anything you swear by or has been a huge help?? I could use some ideas.

Honk.... thanks for the info on the Protein, i have a bullet so i am going to use that, love the idea of freezing the dairy to make my shakes anything to sike myself into thinking I am having something good. I am going out this weekend and doing my research on the shakes....

PMF... what I did is get a lot of low sodium deli meat like ham turkey and chicken breast that I could grab easily if I am having a frenzy attack.... sometimes I put a little mustard in the middle and roll it up... I also got cheeses (not processed) frozen bags of a broccoli and cauliflower mix. sugar free Jello and the puddings but only 1 a day of each. Then whatever meat we have for dinner.