Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I called a doctor that I wanted to see and he charges $2500.00 for program fees. I also have BCBS and they cover everything 100% EXCEPT for this "fee". I also live in socal if you know of a good doctor that doesn't charge this "fee" please give me their name. TIA!

"my doctor told me this is why she charges $500 because if people started all this and she guided them and they quit half way in, her time is just wasted." I'm going to call BS on this one. No doctors does work for free. If someone starts the process they are paying for each appointment. The cost of each visit is priced to pay their overhead. I think of it like a college education. I did'nt give them a tip in addition to all that tuition.

I paid a $500 program fee and 250 was refundable if I was not approved for surgery. It was the closest one too me which is convenient for fills and I loved the doctor and staff so I paid it. I really hated paying it since my insurance covered everything 100% and all my deductibles and out of pocket maximums had been met for the year.

I am trying to find a surgeon and I called one place that has good reviews. They want $200 upfront for their program fee and I don't get to see the doctor until I am approved for surgery. Is this typical? Because I think it is bullshit that I cannot meet the doctor until I am approved for surgery. What if I don't like the doctor? I like to be able to ask the doctor questions before deciding to go with them not the other way around. It's very frustrating and tweaks my "fattie factory" button. Us big people are big bucks and I don't like being made to feel like I am a walking ATM.

I met my doctor at the seminar, it wasn't a one on one but I knew I liked him and didn't see him again until I was approved and it was 3 days away from my surgery. Not really the ideal situation but I would have been more uncomfortable if I hadn't at least got to see him at the seminar. I don't know if I will ever even see the surgeon again, the nurse practitioner does all of the fills and I met her on the first intake appt.

I had a $450 program fee, but it actually covers a lot. Nutrition visits, psych evaluation, and nearly all preop visits. It also covers my pre op diet food and supplements. There is also two fills included. Not too bad considering that the surgeon consult, that wasn't covered by the program fee, cost me almost $150 by itself, even with awesome insurance.

Wow you all make my doctor sound super expensive. My surgeon's office charges a $950 program fee which is supposed to include nutritional/fitness consults, 24-7 support, support groups and large gift bags of Protein and Vitamins to start you off. I felt like it was super expensive but I went with him because they are a center of excellence and a friend of mine recommended it. Insurance is paying 100%, I figured $950 isn't bad for the whole thing considering. Wish it was more like $200 like some of you though!!