Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my lap band surgery on July 14th, 2010. I initially lost 20 lbs in the first couple of weeks. That was awesome! It just fell off. Now I'm struggling. I'm having a hard time getting the will power to exercise, and of course the holidays just ruined everything. I had lost 27 lbs total, but have gained some back. I'm so frustrated. I get fills quite frequently, but my hunger is always there it seems like. I will fill full, but I never have the feeling that if I eat another bite I'll bring it back up. I have never been sick, and never had anything get stuck, which is good, but I'm eating way more than I should. I keep telling my doc about this, but he doesn't really say much, just does my fills. The last fill I had did have some changes. I really have to make sure I chew my food or I will have some wicked acid reflux that I almost get sick. But when it passes, I'm fine, and I eat more. Now I have been eating things I shouldn't be. I have totally lost my way. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get motivated again? My support groups are an hour away and can't get there often. I really want this to work. HELP!!!!

I had my lap band surgery on July 14th, 2010. I initially lost 20 lbs in the first couple of weeks. That was awesome! It just fell off. Now I'm struggling. I'm having a hard time getting the will power to exercise, and of course the holidays just ruined everything. I had lost 27 lbs total, but have gained some back. I'm so frustrated. I get fills quite frequently, but my hunger is always there it seems like. I will fill full, but I never have the feeling that if I eat another bite I'll bring it back up. I have never been sick, and never had anything get stuck, which is good, but I'm eating way more than I should. I keep telling my doc about this, but he doesn't really say much, just does my fills. The last fill I had did have some changes. I really have to make sure I chew my food or I will have some wicked acid reflux that I almost get sick. But when it passes, I'm fine, and I eat more. Now I have been eating things I shouldn't be. I have totally lost my way. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get motivated again? My support groups are an hour away and can't get there often. I really want this to work. HELP!!!!

OMG!!!! You sound JUST like me...the band is not helping me nearly as much as i thought it would! I am becoming so frustrated. I am going to go in for another fill soon, but certainly never thought I could/would eat like I do!

Please don't lose your way .... I just started and I cant turn back . Please go back to the the place in your mind that made you do this ...find a buddy ..walk ,,even if its just a few minutes and a short walk . ( i started walking before my surgery and found out I love it ! ) put the scale away . please don't lose your way

Veronica - Hugs for your stuggles - Sound like you have restriction.. If you really want this to work then you have to be prepared to do the work cuz girlfriend the real work is up to you..

Being full w/the band is a different sensation that pre band - well at least it is for me - I will be physically full (eat 4 oz of Protein - then sit and think about your pouch ) I bet you 10 to 1 you will be full - Are you following the rules and eating pt 1st..

How much do you eat - what are you eating - are you exercising??

Go back to the basics - do the 5 day pouch test (google it) then when you move back to regular food - make sure you keep a food diary – track your pt – calories and exercise - keep your calories between 900-1200 and vary them daily and get minimum 4 days of exercise..

OMG!!!! You sound JUST like me...the band is not helping me nearly as much as i thought it would! I am becoming so frustrated. I am going to go in for another fill soon, but certainly never thought I could/would eat like I do!

Besty - I really feel that WLS is advertised to be the fix all to our fatness - that it's the answer - when it's only a tool - to help us lose the weight -

I feel that so many pple think that the surgery is going to do the majority of the work for them - so you aren't along in that presumption

IMHO I have done 75% of the work by changing my eating and exercise habits and the band did 25% with it's restriction

For me my band doesn't take away my hunger - ya it keeps me full on a smaller amount of food (as long as I follow the rules and always eat hard Protein 1st) - but that doesn't stop my brain from wanting more food- it doesn't stop me from craving sugar and fried foods and I can eat all the candy in the world and the band isn't going to stop me..

If I chose to - I could eat around my band 24/7 and I am at my sweet spot - so truly yes restriction helps but it's more about your food choices - I eat healthy 98% of the time and allow for indulgances 2%

The band is about restriction yes - but it's also about making the commitment to eat healthy and exercise - You got banded to lose the weight to become healthy - well being healthy is more than being able to eat 1 cup of food per meal.. It's about what you are eating and what kind of exercise you are doing -

Peeps losing weight is simple math - consume less calorie (not by restriction alone but by combining it with healthy food choices) and burn more calories by exercising..

What worked for me - Follow the rules - No drinking w/meal - 60 grm of pt a day - low fat - sugar free - limited starches - tiny bites - eat slowly - chew - Always eat pt first then follow w/veggies and if any room have a starch.. Exercise 4 days a week

Please don't lose your way .... I just started and I cant turn back . Please go back to the the place in your mind that made you do this ...find a buddy ..walk ,,even if its just a few minutes and a short walk . ( i started walking before my surgery and found out I love it ! ) put the scale away . please don't lose your way

thank you so much for the encouragement! it means alot. stay true to yourself...you are going to DO THIS! i have faith in you!

Veronica - Hugs for your stuggles - Sound like you have restriction.. If you really want this to work then you have to be prepared to do the work cuz girlfriend the real work is up to you..

Being full w/the band is a different sensation that pre band - well at least it is for me - I will be physically full (eat 4 oz of Protein - then sit and think about your pouch ) I bet you 10 to 1 you will be full - Are you following the rules and eating pt 1st..

How much do you eat - what are you eating - are you exercising??

Go back to the basics - do the 5 day pouch test (google it) then when you move back to regular food - make sure you keep a food diary – track your pt – calories and exercise - keep your calories between 900-1200 and vary them daily and get minimum 4 days of exercise..

Besty - I really feel that WLS is advertised to be the fix all to our fatness - that it's the answer - when it's only a tool - to help us lose the weight -

I feel that so many pple think that the surgery is going to do the majority of the work for them - so you aren't along in that presumption

IMHO I have done 75% of the work by changing my eating and exercise habits and the band did 25% with it's restriction

For me my band doesn't take away my hunger - ya it keeps me full on a smaller amount of food (as long as I follow the rules and always eat hard Protein 1st) - but that doesn't stop my brain from wanting more food- it doesn't stop me from craving sugar and fried foods and I can eat all the candy in the world and the band isn't going to stop me..

If I chose to - I could eat around my band 24/7 and I am at my sweet spot - so truly yes restriction helps but it's more about your food choices - I eat healthy 98% of the time and allow for indulgances 2%

The band is about restriction yes - but it's also about making the commitment to eat healthy and exercise - You got banded to lose the weight to become healthy - well being healthy is more than being able to eat 1 cup of food per meal.. It's about what you are eating and what kind of exercise you are doing -

Peeps losing weight is simple math - consume less calorie (not by restriction alone but by combining it with healthy food choices) and burn more calories by exercising..

What worked for me - Follow the rules - No drinking w/meal - 60 grm of pt a day - low fat - sugar free - limited starches - tiny bites - eat slowly - chew - Always eat pt first then follow w/veggies and if any room have a starch.. Exercise 4 days a week

That is some fine darn advice! Thank you for it. I am writing it all down...and have cut down on fat considerably and do hardly any sugar!

your words are VERY inspirational!

That is some fine darn advice! Thank you for it. I am writing it all down...and have cut down on fat considerably and do hardly any sugar!

your words are VERY inspirational!

BetsyJen

Don't diet - diets don't work - cuz what happens after you go off of them - you go back to eating normal - well what I finally got was my normal is what made me fat in the 1st place - I haven't dieted since day 1 - I eat healthy - I have had dessert every nite in my 3.6 yrs - it's been sf pudding or sf fudgescile - It's really all about changing the kinds of foods we eat - junk - starches - fat - sugar etc and exercise is key.. I'm still exercising 3.6 yrs later - that's a 1st for me - but I finally got it - if I want to keep my health - I have to eat healthy and exercise..

If I can do this so can anyone else - you just have to exercise the brain cuz really that's where the majority of our problems lie..

Oh ya - and it's normal to be hungry 3-4 hrs after a meal -

Good Luck on your journey - gotta jam - got weight training tonite ;0)