Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Identify My Symptoms?

Guest fun4juts

Guest fun4juts

Since day ONE of my LapBand surgery (5/11/05), I've been having problems... at first I couldn't swallow spit. They took a Barium Floro and found my esophagus was bulging. The remedy was not drinking anything and walk, walk, walk. It worked but I still have issues. I have a feeling I have reactive esophagus type problems, similar to reactive airway disease (which I believe I also have as an asthmatic).

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and, if were checked out by a doctor, what the issue was... Here I go...

- Sometimes ... and then other times ...

A small sip of hot tea gets stuck (like right now) and I gurgle for hours - nothing seems to unstick it. Then I can eat a whole pizza with the crust and no problems! Then nothing goes down at all but liquids in very small quantities. When I get hungry (physically) I resort to eating chocolate, which unfortunately goes down real smooth... sigh... then I have no problem getting down extreemely small bites of half of a cheese sandwich on high Fiber bread, but it can take over an hour to finish half the sandwich...

The most frustrating thing is... I'm only loosing 1 1/2 pounds a MONTH! Grrr!

I sure would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has experienced these symptoms and has found a resolution for them. By the way... yes, when I can finally get things down (usually a LOT later in the day) I drink at least 60-80 oz of distilled Water a day and take liquid vitamines in some of that water... and no, I'm not walking enough... but do spend the enitre day on my feet at work, walking, not sitting - ever.

Yes, I've had a few fills – and then all the fill taken out when all at once I couldn't swallow spit for 2 days. Two weeks later it was filled again with a very small quantity and I've been in this place ever since then. So annoying!

For all of you that haven't had the band installed... truthfully, I'd still have the band installed. I consider it a "speed bump" - no more “binge eating” or “wolfing” food for me... At least I'm down 1.5 pounds per month rather than up and I actually can shop in the petit department, even though I'm on the high side of the rack.

I am taking a stab in the dark here. Maybe you loosen up to the point that Pizza Crust can force its way through, but in the process irritates the stoma, leaving some swelling. Do these incredibly tight times follow times of looseness? I was also overly swollen (completely shut) after surgery and have swollen the same after both fills, maybe there is a link and some people are just incredibly sensitive to swelling. I have no other idea what could be causing your band to be so fickle.....lol.

Guest fun4juts

Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be any pattern other than time of day. It seems my band is usually open more starting 7 pm to about 10 pm. Just the best time to eat, eh? ha ha... I do think I must be very sensitive to irritation and I'm wondering if I experience some type of gastric juces irritating my stoma when I sleep... that may be the culprit irritating my stoma. I really don't believe I have any pouch that is formed in my essophagus... quite honestly, I simply don't understand what is going on...

Happy New Year! Isn't it nice to know that next year we will weigh less than this New Year's Eve?

what is your current fill level? you are definitally to tight.

i would also have the dr look at the band under flouro (barium swallow) if he hasnt already to see what the barium does when it sits in your pouch and how big your opening actually is.

again you definitally sound to tight. maybe instead of them taking all your fill just some! like .2 cc!

Yes, too tight! it's not supposed to be this way, and you really should get to the bottom of it. Who's your doc...didn't you go to MX? I think think think you saw Kuri? Ortiz? Anyhow, you should also research GeezerSue who had esophogeal motility issues. That rang a bell when I read what you posted.

I think you should have all your fill taken out. Then drink aloe Vera juice at bedtime every night, no eating after 8pm (that might make you a bit more open in the mornings), and take Prilosec/Prevacid/whatever for reducing acid once or twice a day. I'm no doc though. Call your doc!!

Probably not what you want to hear, but MY resolution was having the band removed. I couldn't live that way...not year after year.

My esophagus is still acting that way, but less so than with the band. I'm hoping it will eventually just go away.

Sue

:::wondering how long it will take her to be attacked for saying, "MY experience with the band was like living a diet with a choke chain":::

:::wondering how long it will take her to be attacked for saying, "MY experience with the band was like living a diet with a choke chain":::

You won't be attacked by me! The band ain't for everyone. Sometimes you just don't know that till you try. Everyone should know this going in. Maybe juts can do somthing to fix it without band removal...time will tell. I'm glad you posted here though. You are a wealth of good info. What's the name for what you have? Motility something or other? That may help juts research...thanks!

Fun4juts, Wow this doesn't sound like any fun for you. I have no information to help you with your physical problems & I am sorry your going through this.

But as to the disappointment of losing 1 1/2 pds per month--well--Sorry to say but pizza & cheese Sandwiches & bread & chocolate are not on a bandsters menu. So I think its about not only your throat problems BUT what your consuming that is limitating your weight loss.

I am not trying to be mean but maybe if you kept an actually food diary for a week, it may help you make better choices. I hope your Doctor can resolve your pain & that has time passes there are less "speed bumps" on your road to success!!

Good Luck

This is a New Year & The roads look clear :0)

I'm sorry, am I the only one that's going to yell at you for eating chocolate when you're hungry? Please tell me it's at least chocolate pudding that contains some Protein??? With that said, I agree with Sue and will probably get pelted for giving band-removal advice. But at this point, you don't sound like you're doing well with the band. I haven't heard of your exact problem, but I had a variety of esophageal problems associated with my band that weren't getting any better. If you can't even get liquids down, that's a huge problem.

Maybe you should spend some time on the phone getting 2nd and 3rd medical opinions from band doctors. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

I'm not sure anyone needs a pelting for mentioning that a solution to some problems is removal of the band. Sometimes, that's just the way it is.

With that said, I didn't get from your post that you've been filled... if you have been filled then getting an unfill is an easy solution but if you don't have anything in your band, there's no emptying it.

I know that Dr. Kuri (who does my fills) tells people to eat very lightly at night so that they don't sleep on a full stomach. Having food in the pouch or even the lower stomach when you are sleeping can irritate the stoma. When people have issues with being super tight in the morning and super loose at night, he tells them to go on liquid diet for a few days to give the stomach a rest, then to eat a normal Breakfast (whatever you can), a bigger lunch, and then a smaller dinner, even Soup, to make sure that your stomach isn't full before bed.

I hope you can get some relief!

I had similar issues with the spit and only being able to eat late at night. Your band is sensitive and you need to fill it slowly