Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand new decision

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to considering the Lapband surgery. To be honest, the idea has kicked around in my mind for quite a awhile, but I guess I was not ready. I've done a lot of soul searching, and although I wish I could lose all this weight "on my own," I realize now, I need help. I'm excited at the idea of being healthier and able to do things with my granddaughter that I could not do with her mother because of my weight, like go horse back riding. I know it will be a long journey, and I'm literally at the starting point. I go to the WLS on the 10th of this month, and then will start the process to see if I am approved. I think I will be; I need to lose 150lbs, I'm diabetic, have high blood pressure and sleep apnea---wow, when I write those conditions out I could cry. How did I let myself get to this point?

I would appreciate any success stories and words of support anyone can offer. I am here to be supportive of everyone in return. I think we all can relate to the pain of being morbidly obese and the dream of changing it.

Scuffy

Scuffy...

I have been trying to get LapBand for almost 5 yrs. Ive been delayed for many reasons. Insurance coverage, type of insurance needing the facility to be a center of excellence, needed my tonsils out, oh yeah found out I was 6 months pregnant...I could keep going...Finally in May I started my 6 month process. Only to get delayed again in November for a fractured spleen. Have no clue how that happend. Anyways, just trying to tell you that things happen for a reason. You got this way for a reason (as I have also) and now something has told you that you need the change. I started my process in May. I was 333. Devestated. Then I go for my 2nd check the next month and i GAINED 6 lbs. I cried....and cried,,,and cried. That was my "AHHAA" moment. My changing moment. I have changed everything from that day on. Now Jan 2011 and I have lost 45lbs during this process. U have to be ready....inside and out....u can do it...

It seems like a long process but it goes quick..Now in 6 days I willhave that wonderful tool to help me continue. I pray your process goes well...

Anything I can do let me know...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to considering the Lapband surgery. To be honest, the idea has kicked around in my mind for quite a awhile, but I guess I was not ready. I've done a lot of soul searching, and although I wish I could lose all this weight "on my own," I realize now, I need help. I'm excited at the idea of being healthier and able to do things with my granddaughter that I could not do with her mother because of my weight, like go horse back riding. I know it will be a long journey, and I'm literally at the starting point. I go to the WLS on the 10th of this month, and then will start the process to see if I am approved. I think I will be; I need to lose 150lbs, I'm diabetic, have high blood pressure and sleep apnea---wow, when I write those conditions out I could cry. How did I let myself get to this point?

I would appreciate any success stories and words of support anyone can offer. I am here to be supportive of everyone in return. I think we all can relate to the pain of being morbidly obese and the dream of changing it.

Scuffy

Hi Scuffy,

It's a little too early for me to call myself a "success story" because I just had surgery one month ago. But, I wanted to say how much I understand. Having gone through it all now, I am THRILLED that I had the surgery. I can already feel a difference. I am so tired of the self-hate of wondering exactly what you said "how did I let myself get this way". I'm so tired of not fully participating in life. We are obese. It's a horrible thing to have to say and write. But, we are not bad people. We are NOT weak people. Instead, like millions and millions and millions, we have a problem with food. THERE IS NO SHAME WHATSOEVER in pursuing the band. I spoke to my therapist many times before going through this --- she put it so well. She said "Look, you have a problem. You've tried EVERY diet. And now, guess what, you're trying something new. You should be PROUD for exploring this." She was right. I didn't have the patience to wait for my health insurance company (6 months of supervised dieting), so I went ahead and paid for the surgery. I have a fantastic surgeon who has walked me through everything. Whatever you decide, just please remember ---- you are not alone. Stop beating yourself up. I wish you all the best and feel free to ask me any questions.

Hi everyone,

Scuffy