Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An Intro from a Crazy Cat Lady!

Yup...I am hard at work at becoming the crazy cat lady. Though I only have two kittehs at this time, I fully anticipate when I am old and senile I will be living on a large farm which I bough specifically so I could surround myself with cats.

And with that lovely introductory line, Hello!!! I am a graduate student in Ohio and have debated WLS for quite a few years. When I first looked into it (about 2004) my insurance wouldn't cover it and I couldn't get financing so it was no go...back to doing it the hard way. Tried out the Atkins diet and had excellent success. I lost 75lbs and then my gall bladder; the removal of which was covered by my insurance. ;)

Flash forward to now, I am back to a higher weight (though not my highest ever which was 25lbs more, a few years ago) and am sick of it. I've done diet after diet with success then the fall. I just learned my student health insurance might cover this so I have an appointment on Friday to talk about it with my doctor. If that doesn't pan out I already have two doctors in mind in Mexico. I've been doing a lot of research online and have it narrowed down. Hopefully I will have some good news either way by next week.

So, basically, in my mind, I am having the surgery...it's just a matter of when, where and how much. I am quite excited and am trying to fight the urge to eat in anticipation of the weight loss. I see that as being a problem with some people. Apparently, on average, people gain 10lbs before their surgery.

Anyway...other than that, I am 30, a Gemini, tarot-reading-spiritual-atheist-cat-loving-Renn-Faire-attending-belly-dancing-crazy-lady. :D

Love to chat with you all and get to know about you and your experiences. I hope I can contribute something to these message boards too.

Hey! I'm 30 and a crazy cat lady too hahaha! Good luck getting things rollings, the anticipation of approval and the waiting for your surgery day is the worst part. I had mine done Dec 13th, things are going well so far.

welcome to the forum and congratulation on the beginning of your journey! i'm a crazy bird lady with 5 birds (and 2 cats)!

where are you at in ohio? i live in the cleveland area but had my surgery in cincinnati!

welcome to the forum and congratulation on the beginning of your journey! i'm a crazy bird lady with 5 birds (and 2 cats)!

where are you at in ohio? i live in the cleveland area but had my surgery in cincinnati!

Howdy neighbor!

I live in Columbus. I don't know where I would end up going if I have it here. If I have coverage, I'll have to find out who accepts my insurance and where I am able to go. From there, I'll begin the research process again with my local surgeons. Who knows...I may just stick with going to Mexico depending upon cost and if the competency of the surgeon.

i know many people go to Mexico and i don't know either way about the surgeons BUT you have to be careful about who you will see for your aftercare (for fills and such) because a lot of surgeons won't touch patients that they didn't band.

my surgeon, Dr. Trace Curry, is out of cincinnati but he has a satellite office in columbus! check him out at www.thebanddoctor.com. i can't say enough good things about him or his office. i was self pay and my surgery cost $12,900 with 2 years of free fills.

i hope you find out your insurance covers the cost! just remember, the initial consultation fee with any surgeon is free so if you don't get a good vibe from one, find another!

let me know if you have any questions!!