Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post op and eating alot

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago and from 3 weeks in I was able to eat alot, probably almost, if not the same amount as before the surgery. My only real issue is with Pasta and soft bread but other than that I can eat what ever I want.

I've also had a few beers and soda's although I can't drink them as fast as I used to.

I lost about 15 pounds after the surgery however have gained about 6 back over the last week.

Is this kind of restriction (or lack of) normal? And am I going to do any damage by not eating the prescribed diet to the letter? I don't want to shift the band.

On another note, I get hungry all the time and need to eat regularly to stay satisfied and being hungry actually hurts more than it used to!

Thanks

It is normal to feel this way until you start getting fills and get restriction. Hang in there and try to eat carefully until you do.

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago and from 3 weeks in I was able to eat alot, probably almost, if not the same amount as before the surgery. My only real issue is with Pasta and soft bread but other than that I can eat what ever I want.

I've also had a few beers and soda's although I can't drink them as fast as I used to.

I lost about 15 pounds after the surgery however have gained about 6 back over the last week.

Is this kind of restriction (or lack of) normal? And am I going to do any damage by not eating the prescribed diet to the letter? I don't want to shift the band.

On another note, I get hungry all the time and need to eat regularly to stay satisfied and being hungry actually hurts more than it used to!

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I have the exact same thing going on for me. I read this and thought, "did I post this?" lol. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I can pretty much eat anything and almost as much as I could eat before. I drink diet soda and can even handle eating meat and some bread. I do get fuller faster but I'm still eating ALOT. I lost 13lbs after surgery and I gained 4 over Christmas and New Years. I lost 2 pounds as of this morning though.

From what I've been reading on here the lack of restriction is normal. We may not feel any restriction until after a few fills, until we find that "sweet spot" as they call it, when there's just enough of a fill so that we are comfortable but only eating about 4oz of food. I really don't think you will hurt the band as long as you chew really well and don't over do it.. I too am starving every few hours after eating, it's so frustrating!. I'm trying my hardest to make healthy choices to keep my weight down until my band is where it should be. Just hang in there!

I would worry that the amount your eating, and the carbonation could stretch your pouch. The stomach has a lot of give, so you probably haven't done any damage yet. However, if you keep it up I think you might. Make sure you eat lots of protien to help fill you up. Have a couple of healthy Snacks (fruit, nuts, low fat cheese) a day to keep you from getting too hungry. Although you don't have restriction yet, now is the time to start following the band rules as best you can. It gets much easier with restriction.

so because u can eat and drink EVERYTHING that your doctor told you not to as this part of your surgery is the healing process, you decide to consume it. Remember you went through surgery BECAUSE of this. Stay focused..been able to eat something DOES NOT mean u should eat it.self control is really important with the lapband. good luck

Just remember why you had the surgery in the first place.I am starving all of the time and want 2 cheat, But it sounds like you are over doing it. Slow down!

Good luck,

on your journey..

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Just because you can eat something does'nt mean you should. As for carbonated drinks, STOP. They are physically bad for your stomach now. Until you hit restriction you have to diet in order to loose weight. I am just now getting res. after 4 months and 5 fills 9.4 CC. I am able to eat all types of foods as long as I chew correctly.

I had my surgery four weeks ago to and probably could eat the same way that i did before, but I choose not to. I paid cash outta pocket for my band so maybe that is more a motivator, but this is a last ditch effort. I couldn't do with conventional diets and I couldn't keep it off with fad diets so this was it.

Just because an alcoholic can still drink doesn't mean that they should.

The fact that you are willing to risk damage to yourself after the surgery should open your eyes to the fact that you have an addiction to food. Are you seeing a therapist?

Yea that's the wrong way of looking at it. Don't test it!! Eat your half cup of food, drink your water! Or you won't change your lifestyle and you won't lose weight.

Ok First of All I don't understand why everybody is talking like they are an expert here. so you have the band four weeks and all of a sudden you know everything? you have some self control now? why didn't you before??! this is a support group and WE (fat people) come here for support not to be criticized not be made feel small because already know that we are making bad choices.

I agree that you aren't making the BEST choices and that you have to remind yourself why you wanted the band in the first place. go to your local support group, talk to your nutritionist. find foods that fill you up yet are nutritious at the same time. your stomach is supposed to go just like it was pre-surgery, that means its healing (that is if there is no Fluid in the band). nevertheless, I reccommend eating foods that are nutritiously satisfying and don't leave you hungry.

one thing I have learned lately (i'm only 4weeks out), but I read this post and i'm learning, that we need to stop looking for the physical satisfaction. we know how much we need to eat, well lets eat that. my nutritionist doesn't believe in starving oneself and making yourself miserable, but if you feel hungry in between meals, drink a Protein shake, eat some greek (low fat/high in protein) yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. (now this is from my nutrtionist yours might be different but you get the idea)

sorry for the rant but im not a fan of the TOUGH LOVE many people choose to express. I'm not an expert as I've stated before i'm only four weeks out, but this is a lLEARNING process for all of us.