Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

** Urgent Help Please **

Hi guys,

I could really do with some urgent help and advice.

I have just been released from hospital after two weeks. I was rushed in with severe abdominal pains on the left and nausea/sickness. (I had noticed this pain for a few months and it gradually got worse, until I was taken in.) The docs did several tests, which all came back clear.

I had some Fluid taken out of the band, to eliminate it was this, but within a few hours my sickness stopped, the pain subsided. However the pain has since come back with a vengeance. Therefore they have decided the symptoms are band related. As I paid privately they have discharged me.

The radiologist who did my xray put in his report it seems the band has slipped, however the NHS surgeon and my own private surgeon do not think this is likely.

Please could you let me know if you have experienced any of these symptoms before or if you have suffered band slippage, as I'm at a total loss at what to do.

Thank you

Becky

Hoping someone else with a slipped band could chime in. My thoughts are, can they remove all your Fluid and see if that helps? Then, if the pain subsides, and stays gone, they can gradually put Fluid back in.

Have they checked you under fluro to see if the band has slipped?

This sounds like a problem, and I'll call your dr ASAP today and schedule a complete unfill.

Please let us know how things go for you.

Have you had an appointment with your sugeon? If you surgeon and the NHS doctor do not think there is a slip. I would recommend asking for another XRay or Fluro; to be read by a different doctor. Preferrably by a doctor who knows bands. Even if you have to pay for it seperately (I don't know enough about NHS to know whether they would expect you to pay for another test.). I've read on here that people have a complete unfill rest there body for a month and then restart fills.

Hi guys,

I could really do with some urgent help and advice.

I have just been released from hospital after two weeks. I was rushed in with severe abdominal pains on the left and nausea/sickness. (I had noticed this pain for a few months and it gradually got worse, until I was taken in.) The docs did several tests, which all came back clear.

I had some Fluid taken out of the band, to eliminate it was this, but within a few hours my sickness stopped, the pain subsided. However the pain has since come back with a vengeance. Therefore they have decided the symptoms are band related. As I paid privately they have discharged me.

The radiologist who did my xray put in his report it seems the band has slipped, however the NHS surgeon and my own private surgeon do not think this is likely.

Please could you let me know if you have experienced any of these symptoms before or if you have suffered band slippage, as I'm at a total loss at what to do.

Thank you

Becky

hi

I have no personal experience with what you are describing or slipped bands, but I have read that sometimes the port tubing can get twisted. Also there can be a pocket of Fluid around the port that can cause pain. Maybe that whole area needs to be explored. i have also read they can put colored saline in the port and track where it is going that way. Maybe be able to see if it is messed up.

I hope this is resolved quickly.

Are you keeping food and liquids down? I have read not being able to do that is a sign of a slipped band.

~hiddn

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, really appreciate it.

I’m seeing the surgeon next Tuesday, which isn’t as quickly as I would have liked.

In hospital I had 2 xrays and a barium swallow, all which apparently were ok.

I had 4ml out of my band, which has only left me with 1ml in, which doc said they need to leave in.

I was unable to keep anything down before I had some Fluid removed as was so sick, but since then I have been able to eat a little, stopped being sick, but still feel nauseas.

It’s more the constant pain, burning. Getting comfortable is impossible, especially when trying to sleep at night as I have to lay on my back, as it’s so painful on my side and front.

I’m just very worried L

In my opinion tight band ass. with esophagitis and spasm is far more freqent than slippage. Fluoroscope can discrimimate. ..

I have been dealing with esophagitis/gastritis which all started from bile reflux. The pain is bad, especially the burning in your stomach. Not able to eat even when you are hungry. I had ALL of the Fluid removed from my band and have been on carafate and prilosec. I found that when it was bad tylenol and pepto helped more. You actually feel well enough that you chance a few bites of something and them realize what a wrong move that was.

I did not have symptoms of slimming, vomiting or a hard time getting food down. It was when it actually hit my stomach that the pain started. Another symptom I had/have is everything taste sour and my tongue has a lingering sour taste on it. I also feel like my band is tight (although there is no fluid) and the feeling of a lump in my throat just after I try to eat a little. I lived off of ensure for over a month and I am finally able to eat some softer foods. NO meats or hard to digest foods.

If any of this sounds familiar I would see a Gastro doc. Hope you feel well soon.