Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thinking removal....sound familiar?

I'm so glad that this folder exists here, since I don't want to make any of the happy bandsters mad. I'm at my wits end. I was banded June 09. The past 1 1/2 years has been hell. I have lost about 70 lbs. I have been unfilled for about a year now. I can't keep anything down. The minute I eat something, I get horrible pain and I vomit. This is NOT PB'ing. This is all vomit. No slime/undigested food. I live on yogert, Soups, frozen yogert and eggs. I'm so sick of vomitting and abd pain. When I call my bariatric Dr they just tell me to "eat less" or "chew more". Seriously?!? You didn't think that I haven't tried that?!?! You can only chew yogert so many times!!! I'm on omeprazole, constantly eating tums. I'm worried about the damage to my esophagus. I had a melt down over Xmas when I was away on vacation. I would've killed to eat something at a good restaurant. But, I dont' cause I can only eat about 3 bites, I try to keep it down for as long as possible, but it ends up coming back up anyway. Since the band I've never been able to tolerate pizza, bread etc but that's fine!! I can live without those foods!! However, in the past year and a half I can not tolerate salad, vegetables (occasionally very limp broccoli), chicken, beef, ground turkey--you name it. I'm beyond frustrated. I feel like I'm doing my best, following rules, not drinking before/with/after meals etc. I've wanted this to work so bad but it's just not. A year ago, I had an upper GI/endoscopy but everything came back ok, and my Dr treated me like I was crazy. Well, that was a year ago and this experience has continued to rob me of who I am. I hate eating, just being in a situation where I have to eat gives me anxiety. I want to get pregnant soon, but know I can't if I'm puking everytime I eat. Over 2 months now, I've been having severe back pain. I'm a nurse, so I figured I hurt it at work and went to my regular primary care doctor. I even described it as back pain that is so deep that it felt like a sword was going to come out the front of me through my stomach. This Dr said "I bet it's your band". I've been going to physical therapy, pain pills, muscle relaxers and it doesn't help. Now I've noticed that when I eat, the back pain is immediate. So, I called the bariatric Dr to tell him I need to be seen. That was 6 weeks ago...and I'm FINALLY getting in this week. My regular doctor ordered me an upper GI in the mean time. I'm ready to tell them to take it out. It's been bad since day 1. But on the other hand: I'm scared to go without it. How dysfunctional is that?!! I'm done venting. Iguess I just wanted to see if anybody else has had severe food intolerances/pain/vomiting. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Well its been a year for me and I can say working in surgery I have seen many come through there with a removal because of the same thing. I dont throw up but have bouts of bad gas. I dont want mine out but I think if I had the problems you are having I would. Maybe your doctor can remove the band and do the sleeve at the same time if you dont have and necrosis in the stomach. Living without it would be better than having anxiety about eating. Be well and do whats right for you. Im not always happy with mine but until I have issues like that Im fine. If I was vomiting I would have it removed in a heart beat. Good luck.

FluffyRN,

I'm so sorry you're having these issues. If your bariatric surgeon won't listen to you this time, can you go to another doc? It seems to me that if you're having real vomiting even after being totally unfilled there is definitely a problem. I hope the new UGI gives you some answers.

Best of luck to you

I wish you well with this difficult position. Only you know what is right for you & just how much you can tolerate. Best of luck!

Fluffy RN,

So sorry about your struggles. I wish you the best. I go back and forth about wanting my band out. I like you am afraid what will happen if I take it out. I have already gained 8 pounds since Sept. when I had an unfill. 3 weeks ago I was so uncomfotable I wanted my band removed and even called the Dr. to have it done. (Now I realize its not that easy to have it removed) Today I feel fine. I don't have problems with vomiting, but I get such bad bloating under my ribs I feel like I could pop open. I also get horrible gas pains.

I'm so glad that this folder exists here, since I don't want to make any of the happy bandsters mad. I'm at my wits end. I was banded June 09. The past 1 1/2 years has been hell. I have lost about 70 lbs. I have been unfilled for about a year now. I can't keep anything down. The minute I eat something, I get horrible pain and I vomit. This is NOT PB'ing. This is all vomit. No slime/undigested food. I live on yogert, Soups, frozen yogert and eggs. I'm so sick of vomitting and abd pain. When I call my bariatric Dr they just tell me to "eat less" or "chew more". Seriously?!? You didn't think that I haven't tried that?!?! You can only chew yogert so many times!!! I'm on omeprazole, constantly eating tums. I'm worried about the damage to my esophagus. I had a melt down over Xmas when I was away on vacation. I would've killed to eat something at a good restaurant. But, I dont' cause I can only eat about 3 bites, I try to keep it down for as long as possible, but it ends up coming back up anyway. Since the band I've never been able to tolerate pizza, bread etc but that's fine!! I can live without those foods!! However, in the past year and a half I can not tolerate salad, vegetables (occasionally very limp broccoli), chicken, beef, ground turkey--you name it. I'm beyond frustrated. I feel like I'm doing my best, following rules, not drinking before/with/after meals etc. I've wanted this to work so bad but it's just not. A year ago, I had an upper GI/endoscopy but everything came back ok, and my Dr treated me like I was crazy. Well, that was a year ago and this experience has continued to rob me of who I am. I hate eating, just being in a situation where I have to eat gives me anxiety. I want to get pregnant soon, but know I can't if I'm puking everytime I eat. Over 2 months now, I've been having severe back pain. I'm a nurse, so I figured I hurt it at work and went to my regular primary care doctor. I even described it as back pain that is so deep that it felt like a sword was going to come out the front of me through my stomach. This Dr said "I bet it's your band". I've been going to physical therapy, pain pills, muscle relaxers and it doesn't help. Now I've noticed that when I eat, the back pain is immediate. So, I called the bariatric Dr to tell him I need to be seen. That was 6 weeks ago...and I'm FINALLY getting in this week. My regular doctor ordered me an upper GI in the mean time. I'm ready to tell them to take it out. It's been bad since day 1. But on the other hand: I'm scared to go without it. How dysfunctional is that?!! I'm done venting. Iguess I just wanted to see if anybody else has had severe food intolerances/pain/vomiting. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Have you had your gallbladder checked? Some of the pain you're having sounds like it could be the gallbladder. That is not to say the band isn't also causing problems, but it might be in addition to.

Here are my thoughts and suggestions:

1) Some WLS surgeons are idiots. They are in it for the money - can do the surgery but are woefully inadequate with follow up care. Your surgeon sounds like one of them.

2) Get copies of all your test results. Where I get my upper GI's they can make a CD of it and you can get one. Plus get paper copies of all the tests you've had, including your operative report. You might be surprised what is in it. Plus asking for test results will indicate to your doctor that you are serious.

3) When you get all the test results (from your latest upper GI, too) - take them with you and get a second opinion. Try to find a surgeon who only does WLS (not a general surgeon) at a hospital of excellence.

4) You have the right to have the band work for you as promoted. If it isn't then your surgeon should do what he can to make it work or remove it. Their one size fits all attitude about the chewing, etc.. is unacceptable. He is not listening to you.

5) Become proactive in your treatment and demand results. You should not be in the pain/discomfort that you have been in. You deserve better.

Post again to let us know the outcome of all of this. Good luck.

Your story sounds very close to mine and I had a hiatal hernia and band slip from all the hernia vomiting. I believe there is a type of Hiatal Hernia called a sliding HH and if it is down when you have the UGI it might not show.

I so wish you the best of luck.

Mimi

The other possibility is something such as oesophagal dysmotility. Sometimes the band contributes to this sometimes it can just happen. I am not sure what the solution is but it is something to ask your Dr about. And as Cleo's Mum said - I would be looking at changing my Dr - there do seem to be a lot out there that have no idea about bands other than how to make a quick buck from them.

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. My primary care doctor, the one who ordered my upper GI, said that the band has majorly slipped. He said sometimes they can replace them after the stomach heals, but at this point I just want it gone. I want to eat, healthy, without pain and vomiting. I'm glad it has been diagnosed because I was beginning to feel like I was crazy!!