Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Band and failing again...

Hi Everyone!

I am so discouraged! Here is my story.

I was banded in 2005 with a vanguard 10cc band. I had lost almost 70 pounds by about the 9 month mark. I was thrilled! I got a little fill for a tweak and started throwing up. So I received an unfill. However this did not help I was still throwing up a bit here and there. Well after about two months of this I found out it was not my band, I was actually pregnant with y second child. So I got an unfill and went along with my pregnancy. I moved to another state and had my baby.

I found a new doctor and he said he would see me when I was no longer nursing. So When I stoppped I went to get a fill. Everything seemed to be going well until this new doctor left and I met his replacement. We did not like each other from the first meeting. He was cocky and acted like he new everything and would not listen. The nurse practitioner became certified and started to do my fills. Long story short, I went on vacation and had a bad incident of vomiting and had to go to the E.R. where they had no doc who new anything about the band. So I left! Drove the 5 hours home to get to my doc. He said I had no slip and continue to fill me from there. i complained of heart burn etc. He still did not listen. It came to the point that I had to sleep sitting up for months.

Until I was in agony one night and went to the ER only to find out my band slipped! Had that removed and a new 14cc band placed. I was excited for a new start. I have never felt restriction at all with this new band. I am at 12 ccs and still have no restriction. The doctor I have now makes me feel like the failure is all mine. I know this band was not right for me, I know what a band should feel like. He feels I should be able to eat only 4 ounces f food at a time with no restriction. He does not believe in restriction he said the band to help you feel satisfied not restricted.

Well now I am having some pain under my armpit and in my lower abdomen I am sure my band is slipped again. I have gained so much of the weight I originally lost. I do not even think I can handle seeing this doctor and being made to feel this is all my fault!.

I know I failed I don't need to be told by my doctor too.

Thanks for listening!

You havent failed your doctor failed you. First of all I dont think anyone should have a band that is more than 9 to 10cc's if you needed more than that then you should have opted for a different surgery. People dont realize that a bigger band is not wise if you only need to lose 100lbs and anyone getting the band should only have to lose between 75 to 100 lbs. People dont realize that and they choose the band when they are 300lbs plus overweight and should have had the sleeve or the bypass. Originally the band was only to make those who were 100lbs overweight and doctors agreed to give it to those who were far more obese because they wouldnt make money. You are not the failure here your doctor failed you. I wouldnt consider another surgery but if you have this band out and can have the sleeve done that is what I would do. Doctors who are inexperienced and just want money dont care about their patients. Its hard to find another surgeon once you have been operated on by one but I surely would find someone who would guide me in the right direction.

I too had to have my band replaced with another and they gave me a 14cc band. (after having a 4 cc band) The explanation they gave me was that on revisions they always used the largest bands because of the possibility of scar tissue. It look a lot of time and a lot of Fluid to fill that band! I gained back 30 pounds while I waited for restriction...

It sounds like you are not to the sweet spot yet. Is there any way you could find a more agreeable doc? Would he even be willing to do a fluroscope to check to see if you have any problems? (although problems are usually caused by being too tight, and if doesn't sound like you are) If he won't check you, I'd find a new doc, even if it meant traveling. Your health is important. The guy sounds like more of an ass then most surgeons. (mine is a sweetheart, I'm lucky. If you are around Ohio let me know)

Don't be so down on yourself. It sounds as if you had a complication, yes, but it was out of your control. Now you can step up and find out what is going on. If you have another slip, it's not your fault because you haven't been throwing everything up (that's what causes slips). Just find out the facts and go on from there.

Please keep me posted. I wish you the best and I hope there is nothing wrong and all you need is a little fill to go on your merry way to weight loss. If there is something wrong, there will be a way around it.

Good luck,

Aimzee,Find a new Dr. I would not continue to see someone who is not willing to listen to me. Sounds like you need a barium swallow to determine if you are slipped or very swollen. Please find someone soon.

I completely hear u. although I have had my band in Toronto, Im sure we all still have the same kinds. I am gong for surgery #6 tomorrow...band related surgery. I am on my second band. My doctor is now telling me that maybe it is me. I feel your frustration. I have lost and gained back 100lbs twice now.

Hi Everyone!

I am so discouraged! Here is my story.

I was banded in 2005 with a vanguard 10cc band. I had lost almost 70 pounds by about the 9 month mark. I was thrilled! I got a little fill for a tweak and started throwing up. So I received an unfill. However this did not help I was still throwing up a bit here and there. Well after about two months of this I found out it was not my band, I was actually pregnant with y second child. So I got an unfill and went along with my pregnancy. I moved to another state and had my baby.

I found a new doctor and he said he would see me when I was no longer nursing. So When I stoppped I went to get a fill. Everything seemed to be going well until this new doctor left and I met his replacement. We did not like each other from the first meeting. He was cocky and acted like he new everything and would not listen. The nurse practitioner became certified and started to do my fills. Long story short, I went on vacation and had a bad incident of vomiting and had to go to the E.R. where they had no doc who new anything about the band. So I left! Drove the 5 hours home to get to my doc. He said I had no slip and continue to fill me from there. i complained of heart burn etc. He still did not listen. It came to the point that I had to sleep sitting up for months.

Until I was in agony one night and went to the ER only to find out my band slipped! Had that removed and a new 14cc band placed. I was excited for a new start. I have never felt restriction at all with this new band. I am at 12 ccs and still have no restriction. The doctor I have now makes me feel like the failure is all mine. I know this band was not right for me, I know what a band should feel like. He feels I should be able to eat only 4 ounces f food at a time with no restriction. He does not believe in restriction he said the band to help you feel satisfied not restricted.

Well now I am having some pain under my armpit and in my lower abdomen I am sure my band is slipped again. I have gained so much of the weight I originally lost. I do not even think I can handle seeing this doctor and being made to feel this is all my fault!.

I know I failed I don't need to be told by my doctor too.

Thanks for listening!

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Here is the current update:

My doctor kept insisting I was doing something wrong so I quit going. I decided to go back in after a while and he gave me the well if you are not doing your part speech. He then thought maybe this band had slipped and ordered an upper GI. The GI came back great no slip but it showed that the Fluid passes right through. Huh! I was right! lol

So I now have 13 cc in my 14cc band. I actually feel like there might be something happening now. I will see and pray that this is the case.

Thanks