Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days until Surgery & Im an Emotional Wreck!

I am having my surgery on the 5th and since Friday the 31st I have been a emotional wreck. Some of it is due to some issues that have nothing to do with the surgery but I just feel so sad and depressed when I should be feeling happy and excited because my life is about to change. Usually I am not an emotional person at all but for some odd reason it has hit me hard this week.

I know alot of it is probably my nervous but has anybody else become depressed or very emotional right before they had their surgery?

Just try to find things to keep u busy. I am getting banded on the 11th. My issue right now is wanting to cheat on this preop diet. Everything in your life can be causing your stress. Try to find something that makes u happy (not food) and go with it. If you need to cry, cry, its health. I hope things get better for you.

I was definitely pretty crabby getting closer to surgery, I figured it was a combination of watching everyone eat while I was hungry, and general nervousness for the procedure. It's probably normal. Just wait, a week after surgery you'll feel a whole lot better.

I am having my surgery on the 5th and since Friday the 31st I have been a emotional wreck. Some of it is due to some issues that have nothing to do with the surgery but I just feel so sad and depressed when I should be feeling happy and excited because my life is about to change. Usually I am not an emotional person at all but for some odd reason it has hit me hard this week.

I know alot of it is probably my nervous but has anybody else become depressed or very emotional right before they had their surgery?

I think it is normal to be stressed out and emotional. Most of us are emotional eaters and you could be mourning the imminent death of our crutch. It is a love/hate relationship that we have with food and we know that life is going to be different.

That being said, as long as you can remember that you are going to be healthy and normal weight during this journey, you can get over the depression. I would go on this site or on youtube and look at some success stories. I like watching bandedwendy a lot. She is an inspiration. You can go back and look at her old pre-op videos and see where she was then and now.

Hugs!

Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time right now -- but I do think it's a pretty normal way to respond. You're about to make a very big change, and that's stressful no matter how amazing it's going to be once you're in action with your band! I hope that you're feeling better already and that this week won't be too tough for you. Seriously, you have so many things to look forward to.

A few things I did before I got my band and that could be helpful for you to do were to write out a pro/con list of why I was doing the surgery and what my concerns were, and to make a post-op plan for success. Here is a LINK to those lists, in case you are interested. It also might be good to make a list of all the things you are looking forward to about life after you are banded. I really enjoyed going through my list as I worked toward goal and seeing all those things I hoped would happen come true. There aren't enough words for me to express how grateful I am that I was able to get banded and to find this tool to help me get free from my weight problem and feeling badly about myself because of how my body looked. I really hope that you will find yourself feeling that way soon, and that this pre-surgery bad feeling goes away very soon!

Also -- do yourself a favor and take a bunch of before photos and take & write down your measurements NOW if you haven't done it already! You are going to want that information as you move forward!

Sending you best wishes for much success, happiness and good health. Happy New Year and new life too! :)

Best,

Catherine