Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, my name is Auburn, I'm 19, and I'm considering taking on the emotional, physical, and financial investment that is the Lap-Band system. Right now I'm in the flirtation stage in terms of commitment. I'm making an effort to learn as much as I can about the procedure and the risks and benefits of it, and for me, I can't think of a better way than to hear from those who've actually had the procedure themselves.

I'll admit, there are many things about the Lap-Band journey that terrify me, but hopefully over time I can grow more comfortable with the logistics of the operation and the lifestyle changes that I would have to make. Who knows? I might become so comfortable that I'll actually do it!

It's probably not surprising that my interest in this system comes after New Year's, which is a time to make resolutions. While I am not a fan of resolutions, and losing weight is not a resolution, my obesity is something I need to start acknowledging, and what better time to start? (I'm really sorry if this introduction seems impersonal or flippant or too long; I've been going through a lot of emotions due to my decision to finally do something about my weight after being a 'fat girl' my whole life, and sometimes my thoughts on the subject tend to spill out all over the page.) Anyway, this seems like a kind and supportive community, and I hope to gain some insight.

Hey, my name is Auburn, I'm 19, and I'm considering taking on the emotional, physical, and financial investment that is the Lap-Band system. Right now I'm in the flirtation stage in terms of commitment. I'm making an effort to learn as much as I can about the procedure and the risks and benefits of it, and for me, I can't think of a better way than to hear from those who've actually had the procedure themselves.

I'll admit, there are many things about the Lap-Band journey that terrify me, but hopefully over time I can grow more comfortable with the logistics of the operation and the lifestyle changes that I would have to make. Who knows? I might become so comfortable that I'll actually do it!

It's probably not surprising that my interest in this system comes after New Year's, which is a time to make resolutions. While I am not a fan of resolutions, and losing weight is not a resolution, my obesity is something I need to start acknowledging, and what better time to start? (I'm really sorry if this introduction seems impersonal or flippant or too long; I've been going through a lot of emotions due to my decision to finally do something about my weight after being a 'fat girl' my whole life, and sometimes my thoughts on the subject tend to spill out all over the page.) Anyway, this seems like a kind and supportive community, and I hope to gain some insight.

It sounds like u have made the first step and have a postive out look on it. I can tell you the band is a comement and it will be a wonderful thing for u in your life and at your age there in no better time than to just do it for your health and your self confandance. I would do it all over again with out even a second thought. if you have question u should come in to chat u can get some answers from people that been banded a while. I hope that you will put all your fears a side and do it for u good luck

Welcome BWesley...let me say that I was banded on 5/27/09, and have lost 90 pounds. From 235 to 145. I eat correcty and I exercise almost daily...that is the key to your success. The band only took 45 mins. to be placed, and I have never had any problems. I reguarly have the doctor check the band, and have had only two fills since the initial band was installed.

It did not require any cutting and as far as I am concerned it saved my life. I was diabetic and had high blood pressure, legs hurt all the time, I couldn't walk 100 feet without being

winded, had sleep apnea and since the surgery within 2 months I was taken off all 12 pills...since then I have been on so many Vitamins to keep me healthy, but they are still cheaper

than all those pills and insulin. Good luck on your decision. Feel free to contact me anytime. I see you are an early riser..so am I. Take care...Shirleyj.

Hi, Auburn...

I agree with BWESLEY.... if I were your age and was the weight I was when I had surgery, I would have done it in a heartbeat!!!

I think that it's a good thing you are band-curious... you should mak that appointment to see a GOOD surgeon... I'm pretty sure most first visits are free.. or attend a seminar.. lots of surgeons do those, for free.... and then go from there...

it's the BEST decision I ever made... my outlook on life is better than it's been since I was in my early 20s. Although i am coming off of a 7 pound gain during the holidays (which I'm ashamed to admit) I still am very overall happy because any other year during the holidays I would have put on 15 pounds or more!!

I didn't do any exercise during the holidays and I 'allowed' myself to self-indulge in sugar... which is just not ok. And I know that... and I'm getting back on track!!! I've lost 72 pounds so far since May, and my number one advice to you is take the plunge... I think It's great to get informed.. but you should have that first appointment... talk with the surgeon, and then with the patient-insurance liasson... and get the ball rolling... depending on your insurance, you may have several months of hoops to jump through.. so don't delay!

Or you can do like me and just pay for the whole thing yourself! But at age 19, I guess I don't recommend that! ;)

Good luck... email me anytime.... I'm here often... don't post much, but I'm always here...

HUGS and I hope 2011 will be a GREAT year for you!

Hi Auburn,

I have yo-yo'd for most of my life. About 4 years ago, I started working out and followed a strict high Protein low carb diet and lost 32 pounds. Well, after having half my thyroid removed, I quickly gained 60 pounds. I was horrified. At almost 48 years old, I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. My back hurts at times and my knees are preventing me from doing the rigourous exercises at the gym.

When I lost the weight, I looked better in my 40s than in my 30s. I had great self esteem and dressed really cool. Since gaining the weight, I do not wear the same types of clothes and will not look in the mirror much. I know my self esteem is low. It should not be, because the accomplishments in my life are many and I am very educated. It is because of the way that I look and my health.

My surgery is in 4 days. My insurance company made me wait 6 months, but it allowed me time to really get prepared for this. Per the insurance company, I had to talk to their health coach on a monthly baisis, {which was a total waste of time} and a detourant from having surgery.

I have gone through all the testing and was seeing the physician's nutritionist every month, which really helped prepare me. I will have the band in 4 days. Yes, I am nervous, but ready at the same time. I will keep posting so everyone who is thinking about it, can accompany me on this journey.

Thanks for listening, I needed to get it out there.

Cheryl

Hey! I have always been the "Fat Girl" it never really affected my life until my health became bad. I was 24 and was told that I might have Congestive heart failure. At that point I made my final decision. I was aggravated when I went for the Psychological and the Doctor told me this was not a cosmetic procedure. I explained to him that I had been told my entire life that I had a beatiful face and a great personality. Being overweight never slowed me down. I had many friends in high school and was very popular. I was doing this because I wanted to walk up my steps and breath normal. After my suregry I lost 100lbs. Got off all meds and got pregnant. I had the Fluid taken out of my band. Gained 70 lbs during my pregnancy and now I am restarting. I had my band filled a month ago and have already lost 20 lbs. Lap Band is the best thing I have ever done! I would do it all over again. I think some people have addictive presonalities and mine was for food. This has helped me control my addiction. I still battle with wanting food but the band helps me control the amount I eat. I would recommend lap band to anyone who has battled with weight problems. For me this is the best thing I have ever done!