Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swollen?itchy?hurt? Annoyed

I can't describe the feeling but my port site is feeling weird! It's kind of hurts I still hAve the steri striPs on and I was banded on the 20th my stomach looks alil swollen and it's hard . Also I get this stinging feeling and I just want to scratch. Did I irritate it and hurt the band?

My port site hurt for about three months after surgery that is normal to have pain in that site for that long because its in the muscle. Its healing. I couldnt lay on my side for a month or so. If its red and hot it could be infected if not then its part of the healing process

All part of the process; you're healing. Your port site will be tender for awhile.

I got banded on Dec 27th. The 4th day out.... I felt terrible itches in all of my wound sites. It turns out that I'm allergic to the dressing tape adhesive.

Last night I finally pulled all the adhesive tape off and my skin is very red and blistering. I just keep it clean, dry and keep changing with new gauze and "paper" tape. The itching has finally stopped so now my skin just needs to heal. I feel NO pain otherwise.

I never had a problem with this in my past.... kinda weird.

I just took all my steri strips off! Looks weird I hope my belly button scabs go away quick :(

I'm glad I read this post because today I began having the same problems: Itchy, sore, on port area. I thought the itchiness was a part of healing, but I was a little worried about my stomach being so sore. I was told not to take off the steri-strips, that they would come off by themselves as I healed. But I'm wondering about the gauze over my port area. I take it off to shower, but then put a new one on. Do I stop putting a new one on now? There's no bleeding, but everthing is swollen and very bruised. I was banded on Dec. 29th.

Leigh

You shouldnt be using dressings folks it harbors bacteria. Take them off and let your wounds breath fresh air. If you are demabonded you dont need a dressing if you have sutures you dont need a dressing. Undress those wounds and let them breath.

I was told that it was ok for the dressing to come off. The nurse actually took the strips off for me on one off my little incision.

I was banded on the 20th as well and am still pretty sore in my port area. I also have this weird stabbing pain on the right side of my belly button... Dr. did an ultrasound and blood work on Thursday and haven't heard back from him. I'm assuming that means the ultra sound and blood work came back clear... anyone else experienced pain like this? If so, what did it turn out to be?

I'm glad I read this post because today I began having the same problems: Itchy, sore, on port area. I thought the itchiness was a part of healing, but I was a little worried about my stomach being so sore. I was told not to take off the steri-strips, that they would come off by themselves as I healed. But I'm wondering about the gauze over my port area. I take it off to shower, but then put a new one on. Do I stop putting a new one on now? There's no bleeding, but everthing is swollen and very bruised. I was banded on Dec. 29th.

Leigh

Wow, I didn't even have gauze or bandages with my surgery. My surgeon used the clear dermabond/glue stuff on my incisions. I didn't even have a band-aid. I was allowed to take a shower 48 hours after surgery but was told not to take a BATH for at least 2 weeks. They did get a little itchy when scabbed over. My incisions healed nicely though.

Wow, I didn't even have gauze or bandages with my surgery. My surgeon used the clear dermabond/glue stuff on my incisions. I didn't even have a band-aid. I was allowed to take a shower 48 hours after surgery but was told not to take a BATH for at least 2 weeks. They did get a little itchy when scabbed over. My incisions healed nicely though.

As for pain around the port area....HECK YEA! I was surprised at how sore that was. I have just started being able to sleep on my left side. It just takes time to heal.

:D

I had dermabond but they looked so red and now between red and pink and lighter , I am trying to get the yellow betadine off !!.. When I gently touch the port site it is discomfort but not painfully so .

I showered the day after I came home and I was told to use soap and Water on my abdomen, watch for any signs of infection . Now my wounds seeped a bit but gauze and bacitracin took care of it .

I think when something that hasnt been explained to us or in the list of norms happens we panic. Its time to relqax and enjoy.

Congratulations everyone