Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

strugling 2yrs after surgery

I am always not able to stick to my diets bc the lap band constricts what i eat I find it hard to eat more than 1x a ...Its causing me to gain weight,,,also eating less gives me less energy, I thinking of having it drained to see if this will help, but a part of me thinks the foods im eating are what is the problem, Please explain ur diet's and what all has helped aid in your weight loss sucess with the band-Bc I am STRUGLING!! Thank You :)

I am doing a protien shake in the AM switching off with greek yogurt and fruit . lunch I make on Sunday so I can bring it to work and not get stuck looking for something, which is turkey chili, or turkey taco minus the shell. Deli meat with cheese. Then dinner will be fish or chicken. What are you eating?

I also drink a Protein Shake for b'fast (myoplex french vanilla 42 gm of protein) and for lunch I have something very light like a salad or cottage cheese and a tiny bit of fruit. I have whatever the family is having for dinner, but a tiny portion of it. (about as much as a three year old would eat). If I snack, I choose mixed nuts, or (gasp) popcorn, or fruit. My energy level is fine since I found the high Protein shake. On the lower Protein One that I had been drinking I felt whimpy and even needed to nap. Now I find it easy to maintain near my goal weight. I also take a Multivitamin every day plus a Vitamin called "hair, skin and nails" from GFS. I don't know if the Vitamins help, but a little can't hurt. I am hardly ever hungry on this eating plan and my blood pressure and blood fats and normal.

I hope this helps. It's not easy to change your eating habits, but it can be done! The band is such a help. Have you had a fill lately?? If you are stalled in your weight loss, go in to your doc and discuss it with him and see if you may need a bit of a fill to help you along.

Good luck on your journey!

It sounds like you might be too tight - you should talk to your doctor. You should be able to eat solid foods without a problem- just not a lot. Don't get discouraged - that's what they are there for, to help us find our way on this journey. Hang in there!

I struggled for a year with too tight of a band. I was to my Dr. just last week to talk to her about it because I was miserable and struggling with maintaining and was not losing. I was actually starting to gain and was scared. She decided to take only .4 (point 4) cc (a very small amount) out of my band. Almost 1 year prior she had put in .6cc for me. It is amazing how so little of an amount can make a difference. I am doing so much better! I can eat much better choices of food and stay satisfied. Before I would try the challenging foods (almost forcing them down) and be in pain, so, then not being filled up, I would look for the easy foods like ice cream or high calorie drinks to satisfy me. But . . . now I believe I may be at my "sweet spot" finally. It took me a whole year of fighting with food and it hurting when it would go thru the band, even when it was soft foods, to realize that maybe it was just a little too tight. I wish I would have admitted it sooner, but I am very happy with how I can eat and feel full (satisfied) for the desired amount of time (4-5 hrs).

I hope this may help anyone who is struggling and wondering if their band could be too tight. It is so different for each one of us individually. Sometimes it is hard to decide what to do. For me, I did not have the typical signs of it being to tight such as the acid reflux or heartburn, no throwing up or having pb. I never have had that with my band. I did not get plugged or stuck totally more than 3 times in the almost two years I have had it. So, it was hard to say it was too tight except that I was not even enjoying eating, other than the things I shouldn't be eating because they went down easy. Now, after a year of being at a plateau (I tried to look at it positively as learning to maintain) I believe (and HOPE) that I will be on the road to being able and motivated to lose more weight finally!

Thanks for listening!