Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed the BAND!

This support group is just what I need, I feel like such a failure.

I was banded on 3/26/07 and in the first year I did pretty good, down 70lbs. Then slowly gained almost all back.

So I sit here on the 1st day of 2011 and want to kick myself......almost 4 years since I was banded and I don't know what or why I am doing this to myself?!

I can eat just about anything with Water gulping it down my throat, I seriously wouldn't be a bit suprised if I had a dilated esophagus at this point......

I just need support, how did you guys get back on the horse?

I would love to hear from you!

Jen

I was banded on 3/26/07 and in the first year I did pretty good, down 70lbs. Then slowly gained almost all back.

So I sit here on the 1st day of 2011 and want to kick myself......almost 4 years since I was banded and I don't know what or why I am doing this to myself?!

I can eat just about anything with Water gulping it down my throat, I seriously wouldn't be a bit suprised if I had a dilated esophagus at this point......

Jen

Hi Jen,

Congratulations to you for making the effort to climb back on the wagon! That's a significant first step.. to want to do it.

I'd suggest not kicking yourself..that won't help and may even hinder you if you keep feeling bad about yourself. Just say "oh well, the past is past and now it's time to move on". :)

Here are the band guidelines that I try to follow MOST of the time:

Guidelines:

* No liquid calories [except 2 servings of non fat milk (2 x 8 oz = 16

oz/day)] (16 grams of protein)

* No soft foods

* Two 3-4 ounce servings of protein/day (2 X 21-28 = 42-56 grams of protein)

* Always eat the Protein first, then the vegetables

* Avoid bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes and other starchy foods

* 20-25 grams of Fiber a day (Examples: bran Cereal, fruits, vegetables,

beans)

* Eat only three small meals a day with maybe one small planned snack

* Eat slowly and chew thoroughly

* Stop eating as soon as you feel full

* Do not drink while you are eating

* Do not eat between meals except for a planned snack

* Eat only good quality foods

* Avoid tough stringy foods

* Drink plenty of liquids during the day (48-64 ounces) between meals

* Drink only low calorie liquids

* Avoid carbonated beverages

* Exercise at least 30 minutes per day

And I'd also suggest going back to your surgeon to evaluate where your band is.. you may need more or less fill. Try not to be embarrassed to go back because of the regain. It happens to a lot of people.

Again, congrats at wanting to make a change.

Hi Jen,

Congratulations to you for making the effort to climb back on the wagon! That's a significant first step.. to want to do it.

I'd suggest not kicking yourself..that won't help and may even hinder you if you keep feeling bad about yourself. Just say "oh well, the past is past and now it's time to move on". :)

Here are the band guidelines that I try to follow MOST of the time:

Guidelines:

* No liquid calories [except 2 servings of non fat milk (2 x 8 oz = 16

oz/day)] (16 grams of protein)

* No soft foods

* Two 3-4 ounce servings of protein/day (2 X 21-28 = 42-56 grams of protein)

* Always eat the Protein first, then the vegetables

* Avoid bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes and other starchy foods

* 20-25 grams of Fiber a day (Examples: bran Cereal, fruits, vegetables,

beans)

* Eat only three small meals a day with maybe one small planned snack

* Eat slowly and chew thoroughly

* Stop eating as soon as you feel full

* Do not drink while you are eating

* Do not eat between meals except for a planned snack

* Eat only good quality foods

* Avoid tough stringy foods

* Drink plenty of liquids during the day (48-64 ounces) between meals

* Drink only low calorie liquids

* Avoid carbonated beverages

* Exercise at least 30 minutes per day

And I'd also suggest going back to your surgeon to evaluate where your band is.. you may need more or less fill. Try not to be embarrassed to go back because of the regain. It happens to a lot of people.

Again, congrats at wanting to make a change.

Melissa, can I just take a second to compliment you on your success? Your numbers are AWESOME, and your band guidelines read as a textbook case of how to properly live with a band. I will use these, if you don't mind, as a pattern for my own progress. I get my first fill in a few weeks, and I really want this to succeed. I'm nearly a third of the way to my goal, but I still have quite a ways to go yet.

Congrats again, and wishing you continued success! :clap:

Dave

Lapbander71 give yourself a congrats and an pat on the back for getting back on the wagon. Start all over again. #1 forgive yourself and take the lessons learned from your recent experience and then start walking forward again to the land of weight loss.

I would suggest that like Mellisande stated make an appt. with your physician to get re-evaluated, start at the beginning, stop drinking Fluid while you eat and take Melissande's rules print them out, put them on your fridge or in your wallet. You can do this...it won't be easy, but well worth it, you know this to be truth or you would not be here today.

Melissannde, please forgive me, I spelled your name wrong!:o

Melissannde, please forgive me, I spelled your name wrong!:o

Oh no problem. I grew up with 3 sisters.. Momma would say "SueGloriaMelissaJane" Get out of my kitchen. LOL!! You kinda get over things like that.

BTW.. I should give credit where credit's due. Those aren't my guidelines, I got them from Jessie Ahroni. Jessie is a band educator, banded 12 years herself and is a frequent contributor to the SmartBandsters list on yahoo groups. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters. She's also written a book on Adjustable Gastric Banding.

I love Jessie.. she's been major support for me.

Melissa, can I just take a second to compliment you on your success? Your numbers are AWESOME, and your band guidelines read as a textbook case of how to properly live with a band. I will use these, if you don't mind, as a pattern for my own progress. I get my first fill in a few weeks, and I really want this to succeed. I'm nearly a third of the way to my goal, but I still have quite a ways to go yet.

Congrats again, and wishing you continued success! :clap:

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Looking at your ticker, we started near the same weight. If you keep on with what you're doing now, you'll be very successful.

I'm fighting a mental battle with the slow down in weight loss now.. I keep remembering when I could lose 3 or 4lbs a week and compared to the rate I lose at now (.5 to 1lb a week), it's rather hard to stay encouraged. I'm grabbing every trick in the book (not weighing daily, taking measurements monthly, drinking lots & lots of water) to keep myself encouraged. Posts like yours help. Thank you.

I don't mind at all you copying the guidelines. And that's what they are.. guides. If you find a particular one doesn't work for you.. ditch it and try something different. As my mentor Jessie says, lot's of ways will work, you have to find the one that works for you.

I'm off to go find my Water bottle... getting a tad hungry and it's not feeding time yet.. so Water here we come.

So glad to have found this thread to get involved in. I relate to everyone. I gained 20 lbs back and feel like a failure and need encouragement before the scale goes up and up. Needed those guidelines to read again. Need the support. Thanks. Happy New Year.

Jen

I was banded 3 1/2 years ago. At first all was good lost 70 lbs. My band was so tight I threw up every time I ate. I did not tell my Dr. in fear they would take the Fluid out. This went on for about a year. Please if this is happening to you tell your Dr.right away. I now have what they call maladaptive eating disorder, a dilated esophagus, a dilated pouch and webbing in my esophagus caused from reflux. I let this go on so long I had to sleep sitting up due to drowning on my on saliva. I have gained 30 lbs back and could kick myself.

Last week I went to the Dr. confessed had a barium swallow and endoscope. They removed .7 cc's from my band leaving me with 1.1 cc's (I have a 4 cc band). This has not helped I am still in pain every time I eat or drink. I have another appt. tomorrow to have more Fluid taken out I pray this will fix the problem so I can start over the correct way.

Victorylover --

Thank you for your story. I was banded January 2010. In September I got too much of a fill and started throwing up everything I put in my mouth. In 5 weeks, I lost about 20 pounds. Because of the weight loss, I did NOT want to get an unfill. I finally went and got a tiny bit taken out, but still throw up everything. And because I know it's all coming up, I eat whatever I want.

I too don't want to tell my doctor for fear of him taking out all of my fill. But I know my health is really at risk. I have an appointment for next Tuesday to talk to my surgeon and I plan to be completely honest.

Again, thank you for popping me upside the head and making me see what the consequences are.

txprincess please be honest with your Dr. I was told my ulcer is the first step toward esophagal cancer being to tight is not the thing to do. Good luck.

Thank you for your story. I was banded January 2010. In September I got too much of a fill and started throwing up everything I put in my mouth. In 5 weeks, I lost about 20 pounds. Because of the weight loss, I did NOT want to get an unfill. I finally went and got a tiny bit taken out, but still throw up everything. And because I know it's all coming up, I eat whatever I want.

I too don't want to tell my doctor for fear of him taking out all of my fill. But I know my health is really at risk. I have an appointment for next Tuesday to talk to my surgeon and I plan to be completely honest.

Again, thank you for popping me upside the head and making me see what the consequences are.