Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

another aussie on board...:)

Guest kerry8888

Guest kerry8888

hi all

i live in sydney and was banded on dec 8, 2005. not sure how im travelling at this stage - all of the information that i read on the surgery prior to the operation said i would be banded from the outset and would be dealing with liquid diets, soft food, the whole bit.

thus far i have felt nothing other than some sense of being satisfied after quite a small meal - but it is more than i was led to believe would be an acceptable portion after the banding. plus it seems i can eat whatever i like - although i am being quite discerning. im thinking the band has not been tightened to any extent yet and i have not lost any weight at all.

unfortunately my doctors surgery is closed until next week so i havent been able to chase up any information. hope all becomes clear at my appointment on the 10th when the band will be tightened.

im well and have healed without any complications - which is great! would really like to get moving on the serious weight loss part of the exercise though....

looking forward to sharing experiences with you.....

take care

Hi Kerry, welcome to lapbandia. My DW (darling wife) was banded on the 28th. From what I've learned, you are healing, no fill or restriction, so you can eat anything you want. Just don't overdo or you may do some damage. The Doctors in the states like you you stay on a "thick" liquid diet for about a week or two and then move on to the mushies (mashed bananas and mashed potatoes and such). When you are healed you have to work WITH your band. Follow a healthy diet and the band will help you limit the size of the meal. When you get a fill, the meals will get even smaller. If you lose about 2-3 lbs a week, you'll be doing great.

hi all

i live in sydney and was banded on dec 8, 2005. not sure how im travelling at this stage - all of the information that i read on the surgery prior to the operation said i would be banded from the outset and would be dealing with liquid diets, soft food, the whole bit.

thus far i have felt nothing other than some sense of being satisfied after quite a small meal - but it is more than i was led to believe would be an acceptable portion after the banding. plus it seems i can eat whatever i like - although i am being quite discerning. im thinking the band has not been tightened to any extent yet and i have not lost any weight at all. :confused:

unfortunately my doctors surgery is closed until next week so i havent been able to chase up any information. hope all becomes clear at my appointment on the 10th when the band will be tightened.

im well and have healed without any complications - which is great! would really like to get moving on the serious weight loss part of the exercise though....

looking forward to sharing experiences with you.....

take care

Hi Kerrie, I have been looking for other Aussies on this site for support, advice, and a conversation about Aussie foods and kilos not pounds! Hello!!

G

Guest kerry8888

hi aussie gal

thanks for your reply. you seem to be travelling very well - congratulations!

im a little disappointed that i havent made any progress yet - especially when i see some who have lost 10 or more kilos in their first month! im not sure what my doctor has done - while im sure he is totally capable and professional, i think he aspires to the idea of healing first before tightening the band at all. i guess im just being a little impatient - but im sure you all understand what its like - no doubt most of us have waited a long long time to be in a position to really lose some weight.

ok - thats my last whinge in here - ever! :confused: i see what so many people had to do to get their surgery - travelling to other countries, paying huge amounts when funds wont cover them etc etc....i really have been very fortunate.....only success and smiles from here on in....

take care

k

Guest kerry8888

hi sammee - thanks for replying...:confused:

it seems there are quite a few aussies in here.....great to see so many sources of support if need be....

k

Dear Kerrie

I wouldn't worry too much now...you WILL lose weight but you do have to be patient and prepared for ups and downs. I lost about 10 kgs before the op (oh the irony) but I know I wouldn't have sustained that for long so it was the best thing I ever did. You will find that the first 6 - 10 weeks will see a nice loss and yes your doctor won't do a fill for a while so don't stress. The fact that it is there anyway will be a tremendous change even without the fills. Just make sure you listen to wha tthe doc says and your dietician...although I haven't had a dietician for some time...she was pretty useless most of the time so I have had to experiment a bit more than normal. Get a therapist too...they will do more for you than the others put together...it can be quite emotional.

It terms of food...if any lapbander puts there mind to it they can sit through a three course meal...god knows I have. So the little tips about putting things on small plates, or if you are serving up 'regular' size portions draw a line down the middle of the plate and eat only half. Start with the best or good foods first, drink lots of Water before hand, don't drink with your meal, leave about 30 mins after the meal until you have a drink, don't try to keep up with other eaters (most people eat to fast), order the entree size, your eyes ARE bigger than your stomach, take your time - chew etc, make sure you know where the bathroom is in the restaurant, allow yourself the 'naughty' things occassionally (but be careful about why you are rewarding yourself). It's total behaviour change which is very difficult if you have had a love/hate relationship with food.< /p>

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

cheers

Guest kerry8888

thanks aussiegal

as time goes on im thinking the need will inevitably arise....:confused:

k