Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2011 - banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

OMG, Deb...that is sooooo scary! And so violating! Glad you are OK though.

Crystal, yay!!! Way to go! Great investment in your health and future.

Elfie, did they say if your stomach returned to normal shape right away? I understand sometimes the scar tissue leaves it still somewhat restricted.

Lots of crap here. Mom ready to go oh Hospice finally. Then doc puts on the brakes. Due to a medication she is on for a heart condition, if he switches to Hospice, she'd have to go to the lab in the doctor's office weekly for blood work, rather than having the home nurse draw it. Hospice rules. She can barely stand up, much less go down the steps to her driveway.

Way more to the story, but am too frustrated to go into it.

Today I'm thinking I don't need a fill. Tomorrow that thought may change. I think I might be at a decent restriction for summer. I always have eaten a bit healthier in the summer and much more active. I just had a nice little salad for lunch and have been able to eat a tiny bit more tender meats. I hope I can just cut back a few carbs and take off the 5 pounds I put on.

Today I'm thinking I don't need a fill. Tomorrow that thought may change. I think I might be at a decent restriction for summer. I always have eaten a bit healthier in the summer and much more active. I just had a nice little salad for lunch and have been able to eat a tiny bit more tender meats. I hope I can just cut back a few carbs and take off the 5 pounds I put on.

You know they say it's common even for normal weight people to put on a few pounds during the winter because they tend to be quite a bit more inactive. It's probably a smart move just to try to cut back a bit and give it some time. However, it is a woman's perogative to change her mind. ;)

Yesterday was an interesting day...and it appears the band may have permanently reshaped my insides...which is so not a good thing. I can't remember the last time I got sick, particularly with the flu, but my husband brought it home on Tuesday and after several days of incubation, I finally succumbed at 4 p.m. on Saturday. I got my money's worth...chills, nausea, throwing up my guts...and throwing up is just as difficult as it was when banded because it has to go through that narrower opening that I will most likely have permanently. :blink:

I am feeling better this morning, but weak so I think I'm going to just take it easy and maybe even just stick to Protein Shakes today since my stomach is still a bit shaky.

I've already changed my mind LOL. The food is just not sticking with me long enough. I'm hungry shortly after I eat.

ewww, sorry to hear about the flu....that sucks. Hope you are feeling better.

Due to a medication she is on for a heart condition, if he switches to Hospice, she'd have to go to the lab in the doctor's office weekly for blood work, rather than having the home nurse draw it. Hospice rules. She can barely stand up, much less go down the steps to her driveway.

Strange. I worked for Hospice and there was never any problem drawing blood for the labs the doctor needed to continue ongoing care. Could there be just a misunderstanding?

Strange. I worked for Hospice and there was never any problem drawing blood for the labs the doctor needed to continue ongoing care. Could there be just a misunderstanding?

My sister is a Hospice nurse and said the same thing. But I called the Hospice and got the same information the doctor gave us. I guess in California it is different. Hospice will ONLY treat the condition that is ending the life. The coumadin is for the atrial fibrillation, which will not be part of the terminal diagnosis. Doctor seemed unwilling to take her off the coumadin for fear of a heart attack or stroke that would be less than fatal.

Needless to say, I am VERY disappointed in the Hospice care offered here. After seeing what good my sister has done in Florida. It is sad. All for a finger stick. She cannot get the services offered through Hospice. Nice.

My sister is a Hospice nurse and said the same thing. But I called the Hospice and got the same information the doctor gave us. I guess in California it is different. Hospice will ONLY treat the condition that is ending the life.

Wow...CA Hospice sucks then. I mean, 'cmon...if the person is to the point they need Hospice, then it's not likely they'll be able to actually go to the doctor and just because they're terminal, it doesn't mean you just stop all other medical care.

Probably all part of 'cutting costs'. Very sad and so sorry it's another added stress on you. :(

Wow...CA Hospice sucks then. I mean, 'cmon...if the person is to the point they need Hospice, then it's not likely they'll be able to actually go to the doctor and just because they're terminal, it doesn't mean you just stop all other medical care.

Probably all part of 'cutting costs'. Very sad and so sorry it's another added stress on you. :(

Yes, seems it does. DH is not handling the stress well at all. The "food police" is back. For the first time in a very looooong time he is watching and commenting on what I am eating, and trying to tell what I can and cannot have. I guess because he feels so out of control with his mother he is trying to control me.

Ah, life is grand! I know there is no dignity in death, but one should be granted some in the act of dying. But then again, she is not being at all vocal about what she truly wants. So the doctor is just guessing. She doesn't have a health care proxy. It might be different if she said flat out, "Doc, I am done with all this, I am ready to stop all these pills and trips to the hospital and let what is going to happen, happen." But she won't.

And the last 2 or 3 days, I have had the munchies something fierce!

Denise,

You may not have much control over what's going on with your mother-in-law but you do have control when it comes to your husband. I know he's stressed, but so are you and you can't let him continue to take that out on you by policing your food. Next time he does it, put down whatever you're eating, look him straight in the eye and calmly say, "Stop". Perhaps acknowledging that you understand he's doing this because he feels so helpless about what's going on with his mom will help him understand it too. Hang in there, girl. Don't let those munchies overtake you!

Thanks, Melody, that is great advice. The munchies, I think, have stopped. I got stuck at dinner last night. Ugh, not bad, I quit eating as soon as I felt the touch of pain, so all was well. But still a bit unsettled this morning. That is usually enough to get me back in control.

Perhaps he had noticed I was eating a bit more and the food police was not the nicest way of telling me, but his way of communicating right now. We handle stress so differently, he lashes out, I clam up. Neither way is grand.

So, we keep on keeping on. I got on the scale for the first time in a while last night. Well, since we got back from the cruise. My weight is stable. So, I am not eating too much. Which is what I told him yesterday when Officer Foodie came out. I was eating some Sunchips while doing laundry and crocheting. He made a crack about inventing a machine to shovel the chips in so I would not have to stop what I was doing to eat them. I said thank you, but I don't need that. I am maintaining, you are not allowed to comment. Which was all fine, until I took a verbal swipe at him...but he responded touche. Incident over. For now.

We made it through yesterday still speaking to each other, yay! But I am sooooo glad it is Monday and I am back at work!

Geez, I can't get a fill until May 6th because my schedule and my surgeon's don't jive. :frown: He is only in the office Tues. afternoons, Thurs. mornings, and every first Fri. of the month. Crap, I work this Fri. and I normally work Mon-Thurs. so not much time to drive to Denver. I hope I don't gain 10 lbs. while waiting for a month!:o

Does this mean I might have to 'diet' for a month :der: or exercise! :eek: (The dreaded "e" word!)

I hope I don't gain 10 lbs. while waiting for a month!:o

Does this mean I might have to 'diet' for a month :der: or exercise! :eek: (The dreaded "e" word!)

Oh Bummer! Given the choice...I'd rather diet than exercise...but whatever works for you! C'mon Crystal...you have done phenomenally well! You can get through the next month! Just take it one day at a time. :)

I just made some *wonderful* lemon-horseradish fish cakes for dinner! I found the recipe in my Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" magazine but here's the link to the online recipe. Really easy, very flavorful and not bad on the carb count (about 6 per cake)! Here's the original recipe. Since I don't do wheat, I subbed the crushed saltines with a 50/50 blend of almond meal and flax meal. I think next time I'm going to lightly brush a baking sheet with oil and oven 'fry' them since that's how I usually do my crab cakes.

Oh wait...I think I forgot to tell you all about the *best part* of my one day hospital stay! Those on FB probably saw this but after the cardiologist and I had our chat and knew I was not spending another night, he left the room to do my discharge papers. Fifteen minutes later, the nurse came in with a puzzled look on her face and said, "I thought you decided not to stay?" Uh...yes? Then told me that the doctor didn't write my discharge...he wrote a DNR (do not resuscitate) on my chart and didn't discharge me!

My husband didn't think it was funny but I have to admit I did. I tried to tell him that if I had stayed the night and something had happened and they didn't resuscitate me, he could laugh too...all the way to the bank since they had no signature from either of us authorizing it.

Ok...so I have a sick sense of humor. :P