Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The only regret I have is in not understanding that my band would never physically restrict how much I could eat *but* would eliminate my hunger...and that the rest is up to me. I spent so much useless time searching for that physical restriction.

Regretting the band, however, nope.

Well- on the one hand I am happy I got banded because I lost the weight very successfully. l lost 107 pounds in about 10 months. However, I spend more time either being hungry or sick from being overfilled than I would have liked. I have had trouble keeping food down and go into the doc. this afternoon. I am seriously considering a complete unfill. I not only want the vomiting to stop but I want to be able to eat Breakfast, eat whole grain bread, brown rice and Pasta, eat eggs. I think I will be able to maintain my weight with my band unfilled. I have learned how to eat properly and excersise both cardio and weights. Wish me luck!

Well- on the one hand I am happy I got banded because I lost the weight very successfully. l lost 107 pounds in about 10 months. However, I spend more time either being hungry or sick from being overfilled than I would have liked. I have had trouble keeping food down and go into the doc. this afternoon. I am seriously considering a complete unfill. I not only want the vomiting to stop but I want to be able to eat breakfast, eat whole grain bread, brown rice and Pasta, eat eggs. I think I will be able to maintain my weight with my band unfilled. I have learned how to eat properly and excersise both cardio and weights. Wish me luck!

Vlp,

This was me before I asked them to take me down to 6cc last July. Interestingly, within a couple weeks of going down to 6cc, I no longer had trouble with eggs, chicken, bread, etc. I think it was just a matter of letting the swelling going down (caused by the constant stuck episodes). The first time I hit 6cc, I couldn't eat any of those things so I think my band area just needed a rest.

I was banded on 12/15/2010. No regrets other than not getting it done sooner. First day post-op was really bad and I thought I made a mistake, but 3 weeks later, I'm loving life, my band and feeling great!!!

weight.png

i'm 3 years post-op and i don't know if i'd say i REGRET having the band but it has been such a difficult journey... more difficult than i ever imagined.

i thought i did all the research beforehand. i knew how little i'd be able to eat. i knew i'd have to give up my favorite foods. i thought i'd be okay with that because i'd be skinny, right?

it's as hard today as it was 3 years ago.

BUT... i am happy with the results i've achieved. i've gone from a size 16 jeans to a size 6. it's almost like being in a catch 22.

i'm glad with what the band has given me. i just thought that my addiction for food would disappear with the pounds and it hasn't.

Not a regret....except I didn't do it sooner. Not an easy way of life....but I am SO MUCH HEALTHIER!

i'm 3 years post-op and i don't know if i'd say i REGRET having the band but it has been such a difficult journey... more difficult than i ever imagined.

i thought i did all the research beforehand. i knew how little i'd be able to eat. i knew i'd have to give up my favorite foods. i thought i'd be okay with that because i'd be skinny, right?

it's as hard today as it was 3 years ago.

BUT... i am happy with the results i've achieved. i've gone from a size 16 jeans to a size 6. it's almost like being in a catch 22.

i'm glad with what the band has given me. i just thought that my addiction for food would disappear with the pounds and it hasn't.

This answer is really helpful for me. As you can see, I haven't made my mind up yet, that's why I'm on the fence. Thanks for writing it and giving me some more to think about.

food addiction will probably also require some talking therapy. I'm slowly convincing myself of that fact as I still can't quite conquer the evening eating even with a really good fill level.

As to the band itself, my only regret is that I didn't get this obesity taken care of before it caused cancer. I had a chance and blew it.

I'm fine now, caught the cancer very early and have a 97% chance of having a complete cure from surgery alone.. but there are repercussions from the surgery that I have to deal with every day.. not huge ones, compared to other cancer survivors.. but still I could've avoided them completely if I had gotten the weight off sooner.

Just something to think about.

I dont regret it but its never easy not in the beginning not ever. Its a daily struggle to not go back to your old ways when your having a bad day, feeling down, or just plain want something sweet. Your on a food roller coaster most of the time in my opinion. Yes the band helps the belly but it does not ever help the mind. You have to help your mind and reprogram it. I call sweets poison because to me thats what they are. chocolate goes down so easy but that is the root of my evil so I cant have just one. Just one was never in my vocabulary however 70lbs down I feel great. I will continue this struggle forever not to ever be that unhealthy person again.