Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill? I need help please

Okay I got my last fill December 7th. It took me up to 6 cc's total. I felt a lot of restriction for the first 3 days and then nothing. I was hungry all the time and able to eat anything again. It was like the fill did nothing for me.

Now on Dec 16th my family doc started me on Wellbutrin. Well with the Wellbutrin my appetite is curbed and I'm losing weight again, although I can't seem to get below 190.

Here's the thing though:

My surgeon thinks that at 6 cc's I should have my perfect Sweet Spot. If he sees that I'm losing weight he may be reluctant to do another fill but at the same time if the effects of the Wellbutrin wear off and my appetite comes back then I'm afraid I'll gain.

I stop eating early now and I don't eat that much but it's b/c I don't have a much of appetite. It's not b/c I'm feeling any restriction. Does that make since? I can still eat more than I should be able to but it's still less than I was eating last month so the weight is moving now.

So if you were in my shoes would you fill or not fill? I'd love to get into the 180's, that's my next goal but right now I can't get below 191.

When I started on a very low dose of antidepressant my appetite did diminish and I did lose some weight just because I wasn't craving food for comfort the way I had before the meds. In all honesty though it was something like 5 pounds. I am still on that very low dose over a year later and the effects are the same. It never wore off. I only do have the cravings when it's approaching that time of the month so it's more hormonal and less a means of self medicating. I really do think the meds help the seratonin so my brain isn't calling for some food that will boost it...if that makes sense.

I think that you should pay attention to all of your body cues....if you don't have an appetite don't eat. My surgeon says that the band works by tricking the brain into thinking you have eaten more than you have....so if your brain thinks you are full perhaps it's working better than you think or the combination is just working well together.

I wish you every bit of luck. You may just be on a temporary plateau but it is important to tell you doctor about all of your concerns. You sound perfectly reasonable with a well thought out set of questions that a professional should be able to help you with or explain better what is going on with your body.

Very Best wishes in getting it all sorted out.

my advice to you is to trust your doctor. no one here can tell you if you need a fill or not...

while you say you don't feel hungry but don't feel restricted... i guess i can understand that but isn't the end result the same? you stop eating either way.

your doctor knows what he's doing and he wants you to succeed too!

Hello,

I tjhink you should talk to your doctor about your concerns. If he chooses not to fill then that is for the best right now. It seems like your appetite and eating are under control due to both the band and wellbutrin. Possibly in another month or more you and your doctor will decide on a fill. Don't worry, you can always have your band filled more in the future!

Joan

It sounds like you aren't hungry, in which case your doctor is right. You are at your sweet spot...for now (it changes). If you're hungry, then you need a fill. If you get a fill because you're worried that your appetite *may* come back, then you're most likely going to end up overfilled. Take one day at a time. Just enjoy where you're at in this moment.

It sounds like you aren't hungry, in which case your doctor is right. You are at your sweet spot...for now (it changes). If you're hungry, then you need a fill. If you get a fill because you're worried that your appetite *may* come back, then you're most likely going to end up overfilled. Take one day at a time. Just enjoy where you're at in this moment.

I guess the difference is my surgeon says if I can eat more than one cup of food than I need a fill but he also says If I'm losing I don't need a fill. I can and do eat more than 1 cup of food and I think that's why I'm stuck and can't get below 190 but I'm not sure.

if you're losing... then don't get a fill. eating a cup of food may be okay for you.

if you can go 4 hours without feeling hungry... then you don't need a fill.

also, feeling hungry is okay. its normal. its how long between meals is whats important.