Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau this early???

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar expierence. I am about 3 weeks Post OP and I am on Puree'd food. I can only eat about a half of a cup of food then Im full. I have been eating mostly pureed tuna, chicken, anything with alot of protine in it.

At first the weight fell off, now its slowed down to a stop and Im stuck at 17 lbs lost, and have been there for about a week now. Ive been exersizing as much as I can, And I have been following my post op instructions. To the Letter I just don't know why the scale isn't moving. Am I doing something wrong?

The doctor hasen't set up my first fill yet but I do know it is sometime this January, He said he might start filling me early but didn't tell me why.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do or have had a similar expierence and overcame the hump in the road please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time

Angelee

Just have faith. We all went through plateaus. You body is adjusting. Have you been cleared for exercise yet? My recommendation is to start exercising as soon as possible. This is the best way to break through the plateaus.

I also had a lot of weight right at the begining and then things really slowed down. I think many of us hope to get the result that others on here have of weight "falling off". Personnally I think the amount you loose preband affects how much you loose with the band. In the 8 months prior to sugery I lost about 52 pounds. So I had already lost all the Water weight; and the fat was holding on for dear life. I just had my fifth fill and think I've started to get restriction. In the week since my fill fully clothed I've lost 4 pounds (which includes Christmas where I showed some restraint and had portion help from the band but did not count any calories). I say fully clothed because when I weigh myself before going to the gym in my swimming suit I weigh almost 2 pounds less. Makes me wish I could weigh in at the doctors in my suit!

Yup, I'm going through the same thing. I just started on puree'd foods this week. I was losing weight pretty well on nothing but Protein shakes, but you know how that goes.

I'm stuck at about 25 lbs lost since starting the pre-op. My stomach is still a bit sore, so I can't really do much exercising. Just gotta wait until you heal up, get filled and get to exercising

I hit a plateau when I went from mushy foods to solids. For about 2 weeks, the scale didn't move. It was frustrating. I had lost 17lbs when I plateaued as well. One thing I noticed is that when I do not get all of my Water in, the scale doesn't move. It took me a few days to be able to figure out how to drink so much without doing it around meals. Look at how well you have done so far!! I think most people slow down when the food stage changes. You will pick back up soon. Keep following the rules and it HAS to!! Great job!

Wow thanks for all the great advice, Its Nice to know that I am not the only one thats going through this sort of thing. My tummy still hurts a little bit arround the big inscion, so when I do exercize it hurts. Ill just keep what Im doing and listen to the advice that you all gave and hopefully the scale will move!

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!!

Angelee

Wow thanks for all the great advice, Its Nice to know that I am not the only one thats going through this sort of thing. My tummy still hurts a little bit arround the big inscion, so when I do exercize it hurts. Ill just keep what Im doing and listen to the advice that you all gave and hopefully the scale will move!

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!!

Angelee

Yup, my big incision has been giving me some problems (sore, some discharge today), so it makes it hard to get in some good exercise. I try to walk around my building at work when the weather is decent, but it's usually freezing here in the Northeast.

The first 6 weeks or so is realy about healing and the next month or two are about trying to find that sweet spot of restriction so you can eat healthy foods and feel fuller for longer periods of time. After that is when the combination of exercise and limited food intake drops the weight. I believe what we have experienced was the honeymoon period, thusly followed by bandster hell, lol. It gets better. At least I'm hoping it does.

Yup, my big incision has been giving me some problems (sore, some discharge today), so it makes it hard to get in some good exercise. I try to walk around my building at work when the weather is decent, but it's usually freezing here in the Northeast.

The first 6 weeks or so is realy about healing and the next month or two are about trying to find that sweet spot of restriction so you can eat healthy foods and feel fuller for longer periods of time. After that is when the combination of exercise and limited food intake drops the weight. I believe what we have experienced was the honeymoon period, thusly followed by bandster hell, lol. It gets better. At least I'm hoping it does.

I really hope it gets better too. Atleast I can say I've actually had a positive expierence with the procedure. Just hit a hump in the road as they say :) . Its frustrating when you work at something and it just halts lol.

Jeez you guys, I was banded 3 weeks ago and have only lost 9lbs!!! hahahahah, be happy with what you've lost! Is it all post-op? My dietitian told me straight away that as soon as you move to more solid foods you'll either plateau or gain weight, so it sounds like that's what's happening with you. Congrats on the 17lbs lost!!!

Also, have you taken your measurements? You might be rearranging a bit especially if you are exercising more than you did pre band. ;)

I think I saw a thread on here that said your second or third week post op usually ends up being a "no lose" week. It happened to me too - despite taking in less than 500 calories a day. scale started moving again yesterday.

I think I saw a thread on here that said your second or third week post op usually ends up being a "no lose" week. It happened to me too - despite taking in less than 500 calories a day. scale started moving again yesterday.

Congrats on the scale moving.

Im greatful for how much I've lost, don't get me wrong. We all get a little giddy when the scale moves down. :P

One thing to be mindful and watch during this time especially if you are exercising more than you did pre band is you may not be getting ENOUGH calories. Yeah I said ENOUGH lol. I went full blown out and out after my surgery with exercise and I noticed the scale stop completely and even start to go back up so I started tracking my calories in vs what I was using while exercising and I was having 200-400 a day only. If you are not getting enough calories and exercising your body actually can go into survival mode and begins to hoard everything you take in. I found that during weeks 3 - 4 if I added in high cal foods like full fat mayo with my tuna, or heavy cream with the potatoes it really got the scale blasting down.

Wow thanks for this post! I was beginning to think I failed and that I wasn't doing something right bc I'm on mushys now and only lost 9lbs since surgery and I swear the scale is broken bc my clothes fit much looser but its only 9lbs, plus I was worried bc I'm getting hungry and it was sooooo nice the first 8 days post op thinking I had "restriction" only for it to suddenly go away one day...this really is hell. I too want to get back to the full use of the gym but for now its only the tredmill. How far out is everyones fills? Mine is scheduled for early feb and I was banded mid dec, so 6-8 weeks...seems forever!

Wow, so glad I found this post! I was banded on Nov 30, and have been on a "soft diet" since week three. I've lost 12 pounds since surgery, but NONE in the past two weeks. Was feeling like a failure, despite following the rules, simce the two people I know who have been banded didn't hit a plateau for months! Glad to hear I am not alone in this, and hoping it does not go on much longer! My first fill is Jan 11...