Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help in the final dicision--

Hello,

My name is Lynn..this will be my second time in the pre-op portion of the Lap Band journey. I completed it before over a 2 years ago and 2 wks before my surgery date I discovered food Addicts anonymous. I figured surgery would always be an option but that I owed it to myself to try it. I was successful losing 95lbs pounds in under a year, but found that the FA lifestyle was to difficult to adopt as a part of my life. 2 years prior to that I had lost the same 95lbs through diet and exercise. In both these very amazing successes came the return of frustration and disappointment when I gained it all back. So, here I am again, knowing I can't live like this anymore. Hating the fact that my weight and my body image has stolen so much of my life and so much of what I am. I am now waiting for my lap band surgery date and having doubts about it. I am sure that this is not unusual so I'm looking for encouragement or discouragement, what ever you wish to share.

I am fearful of complications. I am fearful of the surgery. I am fearful of the permanence of the band and the port. I am fearful that I will fail and eat through the band. I am struggling with the fact that I did it( wt. loss) before but tortured that I can't get that motivation back and worse yet ,able to maintain it and gained it back again. I struggle with the fact that if I don't solve the problem of "why I eat and use food to cope" then nothing will be successful in the long run.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to any input from the masses and those I know have had similar feelings...

Lynn

Lynn,

The fat that you have lost all the weight and gained it back will make you an excellent candidate. The surgery is not that bad. The worse part is the anticipation. I was banded The 21st, the biggest problem I have now is a total lack of energy from being on a liquid diet.

As for the why I eat to cope, I haven't figured out either. I plan to see a therapist. I am very even-tempered and I am excellent in a crisis. But that also means that I don't deal with my emotions when they are happening to me. Biology also plays a part of this too.

I think the band will help, and you will need to find new positive ways of coping.

Vanessa

I suspect much of what is going on with your weight (and mine too) is physiological and physical. To quote someone else, I had the motivation to finish college, keep jobs, etc. You can't quit food cold turkey like other things, since we all need food to survive. I am considering Band or Sleeve. I really like the Sleeve, but the major surgery part really freaks me out. I think it will be a Tool to help you.

Hi Lynn,

I know what you're going through. And I'm fairly certain that most people that decide on banding have those second thoughts. I tell everyone that this was a drastic solution for a desperate situation for me. It just seemed that every year I was getting more sick and on more medications.Right before I had my surgery I went through a "Maybe I should try one more time on my own" moment, and all I kept thinking about was how many times I'd done that - and then find myself a year or two later having gained it all back. I had my lapband surgery on Sept. 2 and haven't regretted it for a second. I went from 8 pills a day for diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol to none. I've lost 40 pounds and I already feel so much better. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Lynn, I know exactly how you are feeling about 4 years ago I lost over 100 lbs on my own..i was doing good then got sidetracked by an old boyfriend and let it all go, I gained back 60 of the 100 I lost and just could not get back on track to save my life. I went to the first post op "seminar" where they explained everything but it took me a year to finally make the decision to have the surgery, I was banded on Sept 13, 2010 and have only lost 20 lbs, the holidays have come and gone and i put on about 7 lbs from the lowest i got after surgery. I am trying hard to get back on track, i go on weds to possibly have my first fill..i'm a little nervous about it but I feel like i can eat too much now and must be stopped somehow someway!! LOL I don't regret the surgery yet I feel that this "tool" will help me not be 300 lbs again..I feel that it will help me keep the weight off even if I don't ever get skinny I think it will help me in the long run because I cannot eat nearly as much as I used to. For instance..tonight i had pizza..it was delicious and i had 3 pieces..pre surgery i would have had about 5 or 6 pieces ... I know that's terrible..but it's the truth. the band stopped me at 3...so that's a little taste of what banded life is like, you can still eat good food but less of it. Good luck to you on this tough decision you need to make. Carmen

Thank You all for replying. I really appreciate the support and kind words. It is very reassuring that there are no regrets and that you all still are very happy with the decision to have the Lapband. I am waiting for a surgery date and try to stay in the now. I know that this is the right thing to do and that I will be better for it in the long run. Fear is a normal response to change especially a change this drastic. But I like what one of you said , "that this a tool that will help me not to every be 300lbs again". I know one thing for sure I do not want to live in this body any more. I have made such progress in my emotional health and in understanding who I am and where I learned how to eat my feelings away. Thing is, my body is now getting in the way and it has now become the problem. It has become the excuse to not live the way I want and it has to go....I am sure you all know what I'm feeling and I really thank you again. I will keep you updated on the my progress and if would be alright I would love to rely on you for some support in the days and weeks to come...

Sincerely and Hopeful, Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Hang in there! Don't fall into those negative feelings or frustration. We have all been through that and you need to know that this will change. My advise would be that you start immediately doing research on the procedures and the doctors. You'll be busy spending time doing that and trust me, it will feel great knowing that you are taking the first step to remedy your situation. I have the LapBand and I love it. Surgery went well with no complications and per my research, that's mostly the case. My surgery actually took 46 minutes (!!!). My doctor (Dr. David Davtyan) was/is incredible but he is in Los Angeles. He is also a LapBand patient himself so I felt relieved to get the procedure done with a true 'expert'. I've only had 1 adjustment and it is going well. I had my surgery in early 2010 and I have lost almost 100lbs. And, best of all.....I know I won't gain it back - it really feels amazing. I eat whatever I want and I feel full faster (because you have to eat slower than before and of course due to the band). The surgery is the safest compared to other procedures and it's minimally invassive. It's done laparoscopically. Get started with the process, don't delay. Make it your # 1 2011 resolution and I bet you that by next New Year's you'll be celebrating your success!!!

Good luck!

Sincerely.

Regatas.