Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you are not hungry...

This has been something I've struggled with for a while now.

I wake up in the morning and by 9:30am, I have 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters with a slice of chopped ham. A lot of the time, by 2pm or so, I'm not hungry, at all.

Like today for example. I ate at 9am, here it is almost 4:00pm and I haven't had anything else to eat. I'm not hungry at all. I've been drinking my Water and I have had a 4oz optisource Protein Drink (100 calories), so all in all, my intake has been about 165 calories today...

Not good I know, but I'm not sure what else to do. Sometimes I'll eat at the 4 hour mark, regardless, but then I stress out about my pouch expanding because if I'm not hungry, then there would still be food in my pouch, right?

My weight loss is good, I'm losing on average 3 pounds a week...

So, if you are not hungry, do you force yourself to eat anyways?

Hi,

I don't "force" myself to eat, but I do try and eat something every 4 or 5 hours. I find if I don't, then I get ravenously hungry and I am more likely to overeat.

I may have a serving of almonds, or a kashi bar or something......just to keep from over doing it when I finally do get hungry.

Jackie

Twinkles ,

I'm in the same boat. Not hungry at all and my average daily calorie intake is less than 500 calories. My doc says two Protein Shakes plus three meals of 1/3 cup each at my stage. I'm supposed to increase to 1/2 cup tomorrow. I see people talking about limiting themselves to 1200 calories and I can't imagine getting that amount of calories in under my surgeons plan unless I eat totally unhealthily. So, because my doc didn't talk about a calorie level, I just do the shakes and three meals.

I also don't get a feeling of hunger - it's more of a slight headache or tiredness. My tummy is completely silent on the food issue! Prior to surgery I am not sure I ever felt "full" either. I dont feel full now either but I'm not having to white knuckle it either.

I really haven't been hungry either but I know that not eating can cause weight loss to slow down. When I was religiously tracking my food intake, I realized that I was only eating between 500 and 800 calories per day without ever feeling hungry. So I started to eat smaller quantities more times per day to make sure that I am getting enough food.

Twinkles ,

I'm in the same boat. Not hungry at all and my average daily calorie intake is less than 500 calories. My doc says two Protein Shakes plus three meals of 1/3 cup each at my stage. I'm supposed to increase to 1/2 cup tomorrow. I see people talking about limiting themselves to 1200 calories and I can't imagine getting that amount of calories in under my surgeons plan unless I eat totally unhealthily. So, because my doc didn't talk about a calorie level, I just do the shakes and three meals.

I also don't get a feeling of hunger - it's more of a slight headache or tiredness. My tummy is completely silent on the food issue! Prior to surgery I am not sure I ever felt "full" either. I dont feel full now either but I'm not having to white knuckle it either.

It is so nice to see someone else who is only allowed such a low amount of calories. I am allowed 600 per day with no more than 5 carbs per meal.

It is so nice to see someone else who is only allowed such a low amount of calories. I am allowed 600 per day with no more than 5 carbs per meal.

Same here...

I track everything and average about 600-700 calories per day, that is WITH 2 servings of a Protein drink (total of 200 calories for both servings).

My surgeon wants us around 800. So far all my levels have been fine, I went in about a week ago for a CBC. I'm getting about 80 grams of protein a day.

I am so glad I am not the only one that doesnt feel hungry. I am bad at not eating though. I was never a Breakfast person and now unless I drink Protein in the morning I will forget to eat until the afternoon. I really dont know what to eat so sometimes I dont eat. I know thats not good.

Anyone else have a hard time with chicken and steam veggies?? I digest them really hard. I get frustrated because I can eat fattening foods easier than healthy foods.

I really dont know what to eat so sometimes I dont eat. I know thats not good.

Anyone else have a hard time with chicken and steam veggies?? I digest them really hard. I get frustrated because I can eat fattening foods easier than healthy foods.

Try this website for new ideas of low calorie foods and high Protein recipies!!! Good Luck! http://theworldaccor...e.blogspot.com/

dont get why people count calories with the band...this is a new form of weight management, and if you are restricted to 1/2 or so per meal, then you kinda need to get calories etc into you in that small amount of meals. I find it very odd and extremely confusing...

I watch fat and carbs, but calories seem so mediocre and tiny to worry about it, burn em and forget about em!

This has been something I've struggled with for a while now.

I wake up in the morning and by 9:30am, I have 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters with a slice of chopped ham. A lot of the time, by 2pm or so, I'm not hungry, at all.

Like today for example. I ate at 9am, here it is almost 4:00pm and I haven't had anything else to eat. I'm not hungry at all. I've been drinking my Water and I have had a 4oz optisource Protein Drink (100 calories), so all in all, my intake has been about 165 calories today...

Not good I know, but I'm not sure what else to do. Sometimes I'll eat at the 4 hour mark, regardless, but then I stress out about my pouch expanding because if I'm not hungry, then there would still be food in my pouch, right?

My weight loss is good, I'm losing on average 3 pounds a week...

So, if you are not hungry, do you force yourself to eat anyways?

I wouldn't worry about stretching your pouch by eating after 4 hours. It is HIGHLY unlikely that you still have food in there after that amount of time, even if you aren't feeling hungry. It's not the physical presence of food that makes us feel satiated, it's the stimulation of the vagus nerve.

I usually eat about every 4 to 5 hours. Like someone else said, if they don't feed themselves at that time, they become ravenous. Getting too hungry can lead to first bite syndrome which can lead to being stuck and other unpleasant things. I'd rather eat a little. :)

Congrats on the 3lbs a week. I remember those days. :) My loss has slowed quite a bit now, but it's still coming off.

dont get why people count calories with the band...this is a new form of weight management, and if you are restricted to 1/2 or so per meal, then you kinda need to get calories etc into you in that small amount of meals. I find it very odd and extremely confusing...

I watch fat and carbs, but calories seem so mediocre and tiny to worry about it, burn em and forget about em!

Nate, I can't speak for others, but the reason I count calories is that, at least in the beginning of this journey, I had very little Fluid in my band. I was able to eat as much as an unbanded person. I did the calorie count to help me. I was never ever given a range to achieve by my doctor. He only said 3oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies. Keep the Protein lean as possible. No butter or sauce on the veggies. No liquid calories. Try to avoid high glycemic carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes, corn, etc.)

NOW, 21 months out, I am beginning to get to the point that I can only eat between 1/2 to 1 cup of food per meal, and I'm beginning to see that I could ease up on the calorie count as I can't eat too much volume. Yes, it's taken me this long to get here. I don't like having a very tight band.

Everyone is different and what works for one person, might not work for another. Since watching calories works for me.. I'm running with it. I don't beat myself up if I go over or under.. just try to do better. :) Glad that you are having success with your method. Hurray for all of us who are losing. :)

I am not counting the calories to in an effort to limit them or even to count them for that matter. I am not worried about calories at all. I am using the lapband.com tool to monitor my Protein intake, Vitamin and mineral intake, to get an overall picture of my nutritional intake during the day / week. It just so happens that I noticed my calorie intake was at a certain level each day. Since having a lapband is a drastic change, it is important for to obtain as much information about what I am consuming, how my body is reacting, and my physical and emotional reactions as well. The monitoring tool on lapband.com enables me to input all this information so when my doctor asks me a question, I have accurate information. Being only a few months into the process, I find it helpful.

I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and still have not regained any hunger, not complaining :) My surgeon stresses everytime I see him "Don't eat if you are not hungry." He does say to make sure to get enough Protein and take suppliments so I do that. I eat a small portion of meat every couple days to help get the protein.

I am at my sweet spot (no hunger for 4-5 hours after a meal) but I could (if I wanted) still eat as much as I did pre-band and there isn't anything my band gets stuck on.

So I keep track of my carbs, calories and Protein grams in fitday.com.