Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothng has changed!

Sign in to follow this  

Im still feeling like I did pre-op...always hungry, can eat anything etc. I shouldnt HAVE to starve myself, that is WHY I got the band, to aid and guide me to eat enough!

I am at 4cc so far, could it be that I am just a long ways from this so called 'green zone' or whatever you wish to call it. I even had scones today with my gf (she baked them, so had to try one at least!), the most 'bready' substance to date, and no issues. Was banded on the 7th and am now pretty much eating anything, and restricting my food myself, like a damn diet! I want to feel full as advertised, is that so much to ask!

Nate, other than giving you a reason to stop and think about what you're eating, the band at this point for you is only a thing in your digestive tract. After you start getting fills, you'll get closer to the sweet spot everyone is after, Restriction is the goal, as another step toward losing the weight. You've only been banded a few weeks, and your body is still healing up. My surgeon doesn't give a fill till six weeks after surgery. So I'd think you're in the same place I am. Rather than worry about how you can eat anything, you should focus on trying to eat smart, and getting ready for your first fill. Don't be frustrated or impatient - it takes tme to get things totally tuned up. You're still in the starting phases.

Good luck!

Dave

Totally agree.... until you hit restriction, you should almost feel like before - but you have to police yourself during this period and use the time to PRACTICE for when restriction really kicks in. I don't think people realize what happens. Every bite becomes a chore and a task and there becomes no room for errors. Take this time to practice - I mean it. Otherwise you end up really struggling when you get tight.

Oh Nate I feel your frustration. I am now 4 months out and just now am getting restriction. I have a 11 CC band and am now have 9.4 in the band. Knock on wood I think I am starting to hit the green zone. I do an hour of cardio a day and would say I eat diet friendly foods 90% of the time; and when I do eat treats I try to do the least damage. My doctor's program had a 3 group sessions on eating moderated by a Psychologist. It really helped to discuss my food issues and to hear others discuss there's. One thing I was really guilty of was really swallowing without tasting. The second the fork left my mouth I already was getting the next bite. I did'nt savor anything. As for your gf's baking I get it. I think you need to have a heart to heart with her and say that you can try her baked goods maybe once a week maybe more like once a month. Having done that you have laid the ground work to say you can have half a scone. I am a baker so I know she probably likes to make things and until now you've been a great customer. If you look at your daily calorie budget (My nutrionist says 1,000 a day); then each meal is 333 cal. One scone esp with butter would equal one meal. While I am a fan of fun in moderation it's hard to get you Protein an other nutrition on the remailing 700 cal.

Nate - I so know what you are going thru - 8 weeks that i have had the band and have had one fill - I am only starting to learn about the size of bands and the cc one can get ..............and i am eating as normal - i am a chef and that is no excuse - but just as you say we really should not be able to eat certain foods and this operation cost me 10K - I went into my 401K to make this happen and i am just as frustrated .....................

@Nate and TDJ,

Ditto what the others have said. And let me throw this cliche out there: "Knowledge is power". It is true. When you understand how the band actually works you will be less frustrated. It is a "tool" and you have to work with it. It takes time to get to your "sweet spot" and, depending on your doc, it can take several fills. Some docs are more aggressive, while others seem to want to "torture" their patients -- making them wait for months between fills. That's the kind of thing that will increase your frustration 10 fold. So, Dave's advice is truly on point. You can "get with the program" so that you are ready when restriction comes -- as MollyRN points out, or you can kick and scream and make yourself crazy. Your choice.

Read, read, read. Once you understand the band you can relax a bit knowing that this particular surgery is one that you get out of it only what YOU are willing to put into it.

The good times are coming. Will you be ready?

All the best to you on your journey!

I know exactly how you feel. I had surgery on the 22 of November. I paid for it myself. I had good restriction for the first week and half then it started to feel like the surgery never happened. I had my first fill yesterday and I am back to the restriction I felt earlier. Just realize that it will get better and you have to work with it! at least I hope so. Turns out I also had 4cc in the band but it felt like nothing. now I have 5.5cc.Good Luck, I know its hard. My family has sweets everywhere.

Give the band and yourself time. There are many threads here on this subject and most of us have experienced the same. Without adequate restriction from adjustments the band alone doesn't do much for many. Diet is critical until that point is reached and in my experience, even after that point when it comes to slider foods. The band is no quick fix, but it's the most effective aid in weight loss that I've ever used. Good luck.

If I had the self control needed for THIS stage, I would never have had weight loss surgery....I need help and went to the extreme to get the help I needed! I already have had 1 early fill, but judging by my docs reaction last time, I might get a major top up next time.

He mentioned filling the band right up giving me a glass of Water to drink and taking out Fluid until the Water goes through...is he pulling my leg, or is this a done thing to get the band where it can at least help a little. If Im at 4 now, and say 8-9 is where I need to be, surely going to at least 7 now would be the way to go, then baby steps to find the point from there...why tip toe up to a goal a mile away???

If I had the self control needed for THIS stage, I would never have had weight loss surgery....I need help and went to the extreme to get the help I needed! I already have had 1 early fill, but judging by my docs reaction last time, I might get a major top up next time.

He mentioned filling the band right up giving me a glass of Water to drink and taking out Fluid until the Water goes through...is he pulling my leg, or is this a done thing to get the band where it can at least help a little. If Im at 4 now, and say 8-9 is where I need to be, surely going to at least 7 now would be the way to go, then baby steps to find the point from there...why tip toe up to a goal a mile away???

The restriction you'll feel after any fill may not last, since the area of your stomach where the band is placed may swell a bit from the increased firmness in the band. That's why some surgeons want you to go on liquids for a day or two after a fill, to make sure your system has time to calm down. So you may still want to work your way up to it, rather than jumping off the deep end all at once.

Getting one giant fill and backing off till you can manage water is one way to handle it. For me, it sounds risky. I have a 14cc band with 3cc in it currently. Jumping to totally full in one session seems pretty extreme. But everyone is different. If your surgeon thinks you can handle it, well, what can you do? By all means, keep us posted.

The one thing I want to urge you about is developing patience. You are not going to lose your excess weight overnight, no matter how quickly you achieve restriction. The band is a tool, and like all tools, you need a bit of experience learning how to use it to best advantage.

Good luck!

Dave

I get that, but I first want to feel the tool work...bit like those fancy things you get with new cars...the first time you drive them you speed around corners and slam on the brakes to see how they help, what they do, and if they do what they are suppose to do. I just want to feel something, to feel that kick when ABS does its thing, lol.

I get its no quick fix etc, I just want to feel something...Im lucky to be at 4cc really, my first fill was early due to the holidays!

I understand where you're coming from, but the band is not a quick fix solution. I've not heard of what your surgeon is suggesting with filling you up and then releasing. My doc explained the gradual fills via multiple adjustments by saying that what is restricting me at a given weight is not going to provide adequate restriction at a weight that is 20 pounds less since the stomach is now smaller so the band fits differently. It sounds like banded living was not explained fully or effectively to you. It really works - just not overnight and it does require us to help. It's not the same as gastric bypass.

I understand where you're coming from, but the band is not a quick fix solution. I've not heard of what your surgeon is suggesting with filling you up and then releasing. My doc explained the gradual fills via multiple adjustments by saying that what is restricting me at a given weight is not going to provide adequate restriction at a weight that is 20 pounds less since the stomach is now smaller so the band fits differently. It sounds like banded living was not explained fully or effectively to you. It really works - just not overnight and it does require us to help. It's not the same as gastric bypass.

I fully understand it all, and it has all been explained to me, plus my own sister went through it all, so Im educated on the process...just saying I feel nothing yet, when my dietician is telling me to eat 1/2 a cup. If I could restrict myself to that for a period of time, I WOULDNT NEED WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY! That is my only point...I need restriction, or something, I can eat everything now...all the warnings, and education leading up...never once was I told, oh and 3 weeks into it you will be hungry and eat anything and everything you want!

I didnt sign up for that, I prepared for change and it hasnt come 'as of yet'...I know its there, and its a few cc's away from being what I want, but this time in between is almost as fustrating as waiting for the surgery. My next appointment is like 3 weeks away, and Im meant too see the dietician before then and tell them what...Im starving!

So please, dont assume people dont know...I know why Im here, and why I feel this way, but its fustrating, Im ready to go, Im ready to eat a small meal and feel content...something I rarely experience ever!

It has taken us ALL years to get to the morbidly obese size that we find ourselves in. How can we expect to fix it in a New York minute. Yes, this truly is the hardest thing we ALL are going through, but didn't you recognize before taking this decisive,definitive step that this wasn't going to be "A PIECE OF CAKE"... No pun intended. I'm on my post op diet as we speak and my stomach sometimes hurts from hunger. Instead of looking at this as a negative I have chosen to take a more positive outlook and say " Hunger Pangs" !!! Yay for me. Then I go drink some more Protein and it goes away. Protein has such satiety power. Protein is your friend forever, so LEAN on it. As someone told me just recently (Dave) Keep your eye on the prize. B)

I fully understand it all, and it has all been explained to me, plus my own sister went through it all, so Im educated on the process...just saying I feel nothing yet, when my dietician is telling me to eat 1/2 a cup. If I could restrict myself to that for a period of time, I WOULDNT NEED WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY! That is my only point...I need restriction, or something, I can eat everything now...all the warnings, and education leading up...never once was I told, oh and 3 weeks into it you will be hungry and eat anything and everything you want!

I didnt sign up for that, I prepared for change and it hasnt come 'as of yet'...I know its there, and its a few cc's away from being what I want, but this time in between is almost as fustrating as waiting for the surgery. My next appointment is like 3 weeks away, and Im meant too see the dietician before then and tell them what...Im starving!

So please, dont assume people dont know...I know why Im here, and why I feel this way, but its fustrating, Im ready to go, Im ready to eat a small meal and feel content...something I rarely experience ever!

Patience is like a tree, The root is bitter but the fruit is sweet. A lot of that hunger could be head hunger. I was banded on Nov 22 and I have never had a fill. Don't need one I have learn to eat to live not live to eat.Take your time with those fill u don't want to get sick. I eat protien that fill me up and I cut my food it such small pieces, Anyway Nate goodluck to u. It not about how fast we finish the race as long as we reach the finish line.