Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sacred to go off liquids????

Hi,

Tomorrow I begin the "creamy" stage of my diet. I will be 1 day shy of 1 week post op. Its the craziest thing, but I am a bit nervous. How do you go form liquid to creamy and how do you know how much you can take? I have my Soups all lined up, ready to go and I am really dying to have them. I am just really afraid of overdoing it and getting into trouble.

Am i just crazy? I have been starving for almost 3 weeks and now I have the chance to begin eating and I am terrified! WEIRD HUH??? I am even afraid to have my SF hot chocoate today, which I havent had in 3 weeks.

Any advice would be so helpful!

Thanks!

Hi,

Tomorrow I begin the "creamy" stage of my diet. I will be 1 day shy of 1 week post op. Its the craziest thing, but I am a bit nervous. How do you go form liquid to creamy and how do you know how much you can take? I have my Soups all lined up, ready to go and I am really dying to have them. I am just really afraid of overdoing it and getting into trouble.

Am i just crazy? I have been starving for almost 3 weeks and now I have the chance to begin eating and I am terrified! WEIRD HUH??? I am even afraid to have my SF hot chocoate today, which I havent had in 3 weeks.

Any advice would be so helpful!

Thanks!

I dont have much advice.... because I am going through the same thing anticipating going off mushy food this coming Friday. Going from liquid to creamy was pretty ok for me... but now that i am on mushy... and not having eaten real food for 5 weeks (including the 2 week pre op liquid) I am scared to death I will stop losing. I have lost 40 lbs thus far and doing great. How weird is that? I am afraid that eating will stop the losing???

So I am planning my meals for the next few weeks... will stick to my 800-1000 calories and hope for the best but my first fill isnt until 1/11 so I dont have much restriction.

I am sure you will do well.... the first few days on creamy took some getting used to becasue I could barely drink / eat all I was supposed to but by the end of the week I had no trouble.

I am sure you will do fine!!!

I just started mushy foods yesterday, and it was amazing ! I started with some pureed black bean Soup and it was heaven !

I have been losing anywhere from 3/4 to 1 lb a day on the all liquid stage, so I'm down about 25 lbs since starting pre-op up until this point. I'm not worried about slowing down my weight loss or even gaining some back at this stage. I know I don't have any restrictions in my band, and this phase is really to just get my body healed up and ready for a fill. I haven't even started exercising again. I'm trying to stick to 1250-1500 calories as anything under 1200 calories and your body goes into starvation mode.

Enjoy getting off liquids, it's fantastic...

I know how you feel, I felt the same way when I went to solids. The first time I ate a bite of solid food, I ate it over the garbage ready for it to come back up. Fortunately everything went down just fine :) My doctor and nutritionist allow you to go to mushies 3-5 days post-op and I had no problems with them. I would recommend measuring your food, just to make sure you don't eat too much. I started with a couple tablespoons at a time, then worked my way up to 1/4 cup at a time. Good luck!!!

Thanks guys! I feel a bit better, still nervous but excited too. Here is another weird question, are we allowed to have a (one) drink? I am thinking about New Years and just wanted to know if I could have a glass of wine or something. Not that its a big deal, but it would be nice. I am sure beer or carbonated anything is out huh?

Thanks guys! I feel a bit better, still nervous but excited too. Here is another weird question, are we allowed to have a (one) drink? I am thinking about New Years and just wanted to know if I could have a glass of wine or something. Not that its a big deal, but it would be nice. I am sure beer or carbonated anything is out huh?

I am planning to have a drink on New Years to celebrate!! I was thinking vodka and cranberry.... seems pretty safe and sans carbonation!

You should call your doctor and ask about a New Years Eve drink, but in general, you are right.. no beer, no champagne, no fizzy drinks. My doctor says one 6oz glass of wine or one 2oz mixed drink is allowable on occasion. But to keep in mind it's empty calories and will slow our weight loss.

Another bariatric professional I know says alcohol consumption can affect your weight loss for up to 3 days afterwards. Also alcohol lowers our inhibitions and can allow us to make poorer choices, both in food and other matters.

Again, since you are so recently banded, call your doc's office. They shouldn't mind at all answering a quick question like this.