Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills without xray

Didi, it will cost significantly more if they use fluro... It's $300-$400 for a fluro fill at my hospital, versus the cost of doing it without which I think is around $100.

They don't want to put the port too close to the skin because it would stick out as you lose weight. Then you'd need a second operation to adjust the port.

Guest annette b

I too live in the UK and I would like to know if you have found support on the UK Forum ( currently of which I cant seem to locate).

I dont know about you but all I have lost since my Band Operation March 05 is 7 lbs. If you are decideing to go to a Doctor who does not give you an X Ray, I think this may be very unwise. My Sister in law is one of the top consultant in the UK if you would like to give the details I will ask to see whether she knows him and give you any advice that I can get my hands on, I did manage to look at a person review who lived in Mexico where he had been to a doctor who did perform the same without X rays and he apparently lived to explain the tale, and was not happy.

I will try and find his membership details and pass them onto you.

My name is Annette Boon I live in West Yorkshire England. I would love to set up a system so people from the UK can explain there problems as the American people seem to have a fantastic system.

I am not happy with the Fills I love the Band I can cope with it, but I feel that the Doctor who fills you up does not put enough in.

Do you know how much of a Fill you have had

Here's hoping you reply

Annette Boon

Hi Annette

I had a fill in Harley st yesterday and can at last feel some restriction. this was without xray , performed by a very experienced consultant Mr Shaw Summers who was reccommended by several people on a website in the Uk WLSINFO.I have lost about 60 lbs so I am pleased with my band but was not impressed with my fill doctor. I had my op just under a year ago. If there is anything else I can help with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Good luck

Gaynor

A fluroscope is often used to LOCATE THE PORT - my doc is very consistent in placing his (after 2000+) and knows exactly where to fill. Fluro was more important in earlier days when sometimes the fill needle missed the diaphragm and punctured the tubing --- nowadays, there is a rigid sleeve over the first part of the tubing to protect it from such misadventures.

Additionally, a fluroscope can be used to watch the flow of a swallowed Barium-contrast drink so it can be SEEN if Fluid is passing thru the stoma - and how quickly it flows thru. However, it is not a fool-proof method. My doctor has you swallowing Water and he waits until you can really drink easily - then he makes you hang around for a few hours, drinking more, making sure you are good to go.

But still, the stomach is a jittery organ, and you can't always predict how it will react to increased restriction. Some are tightest in the first few hours and/or days, others don't get tight until 4 days to 2 weeks out.

You can never determine what your own experience will be like --- and it may be one way for you this time, but as time goes by, the experience may change.

i have had three fills. I have never had xray or fluro at any of them. My first fill was done by my surgeon and the second was done by the attempts of both nurse practioners in his office. The first one missed three times. I am laying on a medical table with a huge needle being poked into my gut crying and thinking to myself.."HEY LADY!! I STILL HAVE VITAL ORGANS IN THERE!!!!!!!!" the second nurse practioner came in and got it on her second try. I have since requested that my surgeon do the rest of my fills. He has gotten me on the first try both times. If your dr can't do it without the fluro then by all means let him use it. If he can discuss it with him and see if you can do it without first. Best of luck to you.

hahahhaha Tina.. OMG i hear ya. I REFUSE to let the NPs at our surgeons office do my fills!! one time i showed up and they rescheduled me from ganser to the Nurse and i sat there for 2 hours for ganser to see me because i refuse to let anyone else do it =P