Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know they just started doing LapBand here in TX.. traditionally they pushed GB. That might be why it's hard to find someone who has used them.

I live in Michigan and had my surgery at the Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti. I was very impressed with my doctor, the dietician and most all the staff. They are knowledgable and supportive and caring. I had my surgery 12-1-05 and I have lost 15 pounds to date. I am feeling wonderful and go in for my first fill on 1-10-06. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Criss:cheeky

I tried to go to the Barix Clinic in Northern Illinois. I was really pumped for the surgery and the cost beat the local hospital that I was researching. I have rheumatoid arthritis and no one at Barix told me it was a rule-out for the band until I'd made the 1 1/2-hour trip south. There the doctor told me they don't operate on people who are "steriod dependent." Nice. I'm sure it was a clinical term, but his comment made me feel like my prescription prednisone was similar to a street drug. The doctor regretted that no one on the phone told me or asked me about my steriod use. OK, but I drove the 90 miles home in tears, worried that I couldn't get the surgery at all.

The doctor who banded me three weeks ago told me that prednisone wasn't a rule-out for him and that many of his patients who are on immunosuppressants do very well with the lap band.

I can't speak about the quality of Barix, but I can tell you that I had a terrible limited experience.

Michelle.. is your Doc from a Barix Clinic? I went to the barix Clinic in Ohio.. W. Dr. Barbara and I was self pay and i had barley any pre op testing at all

I just checked out Barix Clinics last month.

I took my husband with me for support; but he is not at all impressed with the facilities.

Worse than anything is the fact that the doctor who spoke to me is NOT yet certified to do the surgery. My insurance has just approved me for the facility but additional paperwork needs to be filed to have the surgeon approved.

My husband is VERY concerned about the fact that if I go ahead with plans at Barix that I will be this doctor's FIRST certified banding patient. Yes, we understand that somebody always has to be first....but doesn't it feel much better when you're 500th?

His concern arises from a failed surgery of his own where he was the doctor's 4th or 5th patient. (sigh)

We're scheduled to check out Temple in a couple of weeks; but their program requires at least $600 out of pocket. However, my appointment is with the CHIEF of surgery, there.

What do you think?

Hi, Nurse....

I understand from high stress jobs. I used to eat stress for a living.

Based on the conversation with this doctor...whose card I have downstairs but not in front of me, there was one doctor who was certified already. The guy I spoke to just didn't happen to be him.

This doesn't mean he's never done surgery before...they've all done the gastric bypass...just not the lap banding.

I'm still torn because I want the surgery and I liked their facility...but I don't want to have that particular doctor (Kazmaric is something similar to his name) do the surgery and I don't want to give my husband (going for cardiac cath #8 in 24 months) any more stress than he already has.

Let me know your impressions.

Peace,

GreytDog

Hi,

I am having my band done at Barix in Langhorne by Dr. Brader. He has been doing bands since August of 05. I am totally confident in him and their aftercare and support seems to be very good, which is very important with the band. The other Dr. has not done any yet (Dr K.) But, being the first with Dr K., I think the proctor has to be present for the first 3.

Kathy