Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New life on the 23rd

HI,

My name is Lori and I am 40 years old. I have 2 boys and a great husband who is very supportive. My decision to get banded was tough, as I was afraid to give up some of the things I love. BUt the more I thought about it and the more I looked at all the things that could go wrong with being overweight, my decision became easy. I chose my children and my life over eating a STEAK!!! I think that is a much more resonable decision! I did not tell many people about my surgery. I told my husband and close friends and chose to tell faily members a month before the surgery. THe decision had to be mine alone, and I didnt want to hear anyone tell me their opinions either way. WHen I did tell people, I kinda wanted to hear, "WHAT? YOu dont need that surgery, you are crazy!". BUt, guess what, I did not hear that! I heard some mixed opinions, but mostly it was over the surgery complications not the fact that I was too skinny for it!!!

I was banded on the 23rd and so far I am doing OK. I dont feel hungry and I am doing OK with the liquid diet. Much better than before the surgery when I had to have those gross shakes and bars. I did cheat, I must confess and had only Protein as my cheats! One day I broke down and actually had sashimi! BUt, I stil llost 16 lbs before surgery. I am terrified of vomiting and I am pretty sure I will not be cheating on this post op thing.

THe surgery went without problems, and my DR said it was one of the nicest lap bands hes done. I dont know what that means, as I dont think they get rated on how pretty they are! But, he seemed pleased and thats all that matters.

I am in some considerable pain, that is concerning me a bit. It is contained to one side and hurts whenver I move. It feels like muscle pain, like I did a million sit -ups, not that I would know what that feels like, lets face it , if I did then I would be here!! LOL!!

IT does dissipate when I take the percoset, but I am hoping I dont need that for much longer. Please let me know if anyone else had this kind of pain. I am assuming its normal, but would love to hear from others!

Anyway, thats about it. I know I am very long-winded, but I appreciate any feedback any one has for me. I am looking forward to my new journey and figuring it out along the way.

Happy Holidays to everyone and best of luck on your own journeys!

LORI

HI,

My name is Lori and I am 40 years old. I have 2 boys and a great husband who is very supportive. My decision to get banded was tough, as I was afraid to give up some of the things I love. BUt the more I thought about it and the more I looked at all the things that could go wrong with being overweight, my decision became easy. I chose my children and my life over eating a STEAK!!! I think that is a much more resonable decision! I did not tell many people about my surgery. I told my husband and close friends and chose to tell faily members a month before the surgery. THe decision had to be mine alone, and I didnt want to hear anyone tell me their opinions either way. WHen I did tell people, I kinda wanted to hear, "WHAT? YOu dont need that surgery, you are crazy!". BUt, guess what, I did not hear that! I heard some mixed opinions, but mostly it was over the surgery complications not the fact that I was too skinny for it!!!

I was banded on the 23rd and so far I am doing OK. I dont feel hungry and I am doing OK with the liquid diet. Much better than before the surgery when I had to have those gross shakes and bars. I did cheat, I must confess and had only Protein as my cheats! One day I broke down and actually had sashimi! BUt, I stil llost 16 lbs before surgery. I am terrified of vomiting and I am pretty sure I will not be cheating on this post op thing.

THe surgery went without problems, and my DR said it was one of the nicest lap bands hes done. I dont know what that means, as I dont think they get rated on how pretty they are! But, he seemed pleased and thats all that matters.

I am in some considerable pain, that is concerning me a bit. It is contained to one side and hurts whenver I move. It feels like muscle pain, like I did a million sit -ups, not that I would know what that feels like, lets face it , if I did then I would be here!! LOL!!

IT does dissipate when I take the percoset, but I am hoping I dont need that for much longer. Please let me know if anyone else had this kind of pain. I am assuming its normal, but would love to hear from others!

Anyway, thats about it. I know I am very long-winded, but I appreciate any feedback any one has for me. I am looking forward to my new journey and figuring it out along the way.

LORI

HI, My name is Ami and first of all I want to say Merry X-mas!!! I just wanted to say your letter kind of freaked me out a little because your story and your examples were so close to mine. I know the holidays can be difficult and I am glad you have great family who sound like they are a great support system. And yes I heard too from people what are you doing? You do not need the surgery? I am 43 and I think deep down the only thing I regret is not doing it when I was younger. But as they say you are only as old as you feel. And to be honest I was always told how good and young I looked. Until I had some bad things happen in my life and I stopped caring.. The compliments came further and far between and I guess I had an awakening this year so to speak. I may be getting older but I may have longer to live and may regain some of the compliments from others. And accept the new ones I give myself when I look in the mirror. Do you know what I mean? And just to say I cannot believe you are on the internet 2 days after surgery. At least you have some pain medication , I was not so lucky my surgeon gave me nothing when I went home. And yes I had a lot of pain at first, when I woke up in recovery I felt like there was a truck on my chest. And for the first few days at home were very uncomfortable. But now I guess I am doing really well, I am on solids for x-mas and Iam only one month and two days post-op. The best advice I can give you is remember everyone is different and listen to your own body. And please remember to keep hydrated. I had some scary times because I did not I did not listen to my own body. Well I am about one month ahead of you so if you want to keep in touch with me feel free to do so. Let me know how you are doing if you would like. God Bless and take care.

Thanks Ami, for replying! And for the encouragement. I would love to keep in touch and hear how you are doing. Hopefully we can help each other!

I am DYING on the clear liquid stage. The first few days were OK because I felt like I needed the light nourishment, but now I am sooo tired! I really need some Protein. How long were you on the clearliqiod stage? I think I am going to pull myself off of it and go to the full liquid stage just so I can have some Protein or something in my stomach. I have 2 little boys who want to play with their mommy and I have no energy!

HOw did you make out with the holiday? Was it OK?

I am hoping that New Years will be OK. A little worried about the drinking part of it. Are we allowed a galss of wine or anything? I didnt think to ask my DR. I guess I will call him.

HOpe you are doing well!

LORI

HI,

My name is Lora, 43 yrs. two kids, sweet and supportive husband. I had a hard time deciding but after getting denied and then approved I had my surgery the 21st. So, I am also having to take Percocet, every four hours except I'm down to one pill not two. I had had left side pain by my ribs. My stomach feels like a ninja kicked me many times. I am also doing okay with liquid, no vomiting, but starting to feel like I would like more substance than Protein drinks, broth, greek yogurt, Isopure. The one thing I am really lacking is energy. I am taking calci chews and liquid Vitamin. My surgery went without a hitch for the most part. Quick surgery somewhat slow recovery but he also said it was clean and one of the best. Wondering what that means LOL But overall I am just dealing with energy issues. I would like to heal so I can be my normal hyperactive self. Hope this helps. Not sure what next week holds for me.

LORI