Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - cheated post op

I was almost 8 days post op and was doing well, didnt even cheat pre-op, have lost 12kg (about 26lbs) since starting pre-op diet. Had a brain freeze last night, ate some boiled chicken, about a cup, few minutes later felt uncomfortably full, but certainly not vomit full. Went to sleep with that uncomfortable full feeling. Woke up this morning with tightness in my throat, no issues with liquid going down, but have read that the tight throat may be a symptom of reflux which in turn is a symptom of a slipped band. I am such an idiot. Does anyone have a similar experience or know of someone who has? I am really freaking out about, hope it is ok and will certainly not do that again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's highly unlikely that you've caused your band to slip by one episode of eating what you shouldn't. But take your symptoms seriously and get back on your post-op eating regimen.. follow your doctor's orders as closely as you can. I know it's not easy, but if weight loss were easy, there would be few obese people.

Hang in there. You can do this.

Thanks for the reassurance, I feel like such a fool, I have been totally off food today. I really hope that I havent stuffed things up, on a positive note, I wore a pair of jeans today that I havent been able to do up for 2 years, so yes I am back on the regime and will not deviate. If I did have a slip is there any way to know?

According to a bariatric nurse that I know, these are symptoms of a dilated pouch and/or slip:

Being able to eat more, weight gain or failure to lose, not feeling full, heartburn, and reflux.

I'd consider these signs as over a period of time, not just one occurrence. I've had all of these (except weight gain) at one time or another, but not night after night or day after day. If I had the signs for more than a few days, I'd call my doctor.

Relax. Follow MOST of the rules MOST of the time and things should be OK. :)

According to a bariatric nurse that I know, these are symptoms of a dilated pouch and/or slip:

Being able to eat more, weight gain or failure to lose, not feeling full, heartburn, and reflux.

I'd consider these signs as over a period of time, not just one occurrence. I've had all of these (except weight gain) at one time or another, but not night after night or day after day. If I had the signs for more than a few days, I'd call my doctor.

Relax. Follow MOST of the rules MOST of the time and things should be OK. :)

holy *** melissannde, I don't mean to change the subject on this thread but I just saw your band date as less than 2 years ago and you've lost 173lbs?....I just thought that deserved a public congrats!!!!!!! That is amazing.....I am just starting on my journey and would have to lose about 150-160 to get to "normal" bmi---it seems like worlds away. Any tips for success? (how old are you? everyone in my group was saying "you're young you'll lose it fast b/c I was the youngest in my group, not that older folks can't lose it)

holy *** melissannde, I don't mean to change the subject on this thread but I just saw your band date as less than 2 years ago and you've lost 173lbs?....I just thought that deserved a public congrats!!!!!!! That is amazing.....I am just starting on my journey and would have to lose about 150-160 to get to "normal" bmi---it seems like worlds away. Any tips for success? (how old are you? everyone in my group was saying "you're young you'll lose it fast b/c I was the youngest in my group, not that older folks can't lose it)

Thanks. I don't know that I did anything unusual other than follow the rules set out by my doctor. I weigh and measure my food. (3oz lean Protein, 1/2 cup veggies) 3x a day.. sometimes I'd have a 4th meal if I was awake that long. I waited 30 minutes on either side of my meals to drink. I drink very very low calorie fluids (Water or crystal lite or such). I didn't eat out at a restaurant until I was very comfortable in knowing what a 3oz & 1/2 cup portion looked like. I measure EVERYTHING.. even the powdered milk I put in my coffee.

I found some kind of exercise I liked and I did it almost daily. At first it was just walking my dogs. Everyday just a little bit further until I was easily walking a mile. It took a year for me to get ready to join a gym. Now I go to the gym 5 days a week.

I found online support groups since my doctor is an hour drive away and I don't like driving at night.

My favorite is at:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters/

but also look at yahoo groups for DFWBandsters, SmarterBandsters, Bandbuddies

I got Judith Beck's Diet Solution book & workbook to help me with behavior modification regarding eating.

I follow MOST of these guidelines MOST of the time, except I rarely drink that much milk. I use nonfat dry milk in my coffee instead. And my doctor says 3 3oz servings of Protein instead of 2 3 or 4 oz. ::shrug:: not a huge difference. These are not guidelines from my doctor, but from Jessie Ahroni, who is an RN, PhD, working in bariatrics. She's published a book on lapbanding and is banded herself.. 12 years. Lost her excess weight in about a year and is now successfully maintaining.

* No liquid calories [except 2 servings of non fat milk (2 x 8 oz = 16

oz/day)] (16 grams of protein)

* No soft foods

* Two 3-4 ounce servings of protein/day (2 X 21-28 = 42-56 grams of protein)

* Always eat the protein first, then the vegetables

* Avoid bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes and other starchy foods

* 20-25 grams of Fiber a day (Examples: bran Cereal, fruits, vegetables,

beans)

* Eat only three small meals a day with maybe one small planned snack

* Eat slowly and chew thoroughly

* Stop eating as soon as you feel full

* Do not drink while you are eating

* Do not eat between meals except for a planned snack

* Eat only good quality foods

* Avoid tough stringy foods

* Drink plenty of liquids during the day (48-64 ounces) between meals

* Drink only low calorie liquids

* Avoid carbonated beverages

* Exercise at least 30 minutes per day

Good luck on your journey and thanks for the kind words. I still have 40 or so lbs to go and they are going to be the slowest to come off.. but even if I NEVER lose another lb (and that won't happen.. I have faith) I'm thrilled with my band. Life is much better at just a little over 200lbs than it was at pushing 400. :)