Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 23DEC10

BigJ
Sign in to follow this  

I was banded 23DEC10 at Potomac Hospital in Woodbridge, Virginia by BluePoint Surgical Group by Denis Halmi. I am 40 years old, 5'10 and started at 305lbs. I am retired from the Army and besides high blood pressure for which I have been taking Mycartis (40mg) and high cholesterol for which I have been taking Vytorin(40mg), I am pretty healthy.

Both of my parents are big (obese) and my father had a heart attack two years ago. Since I retired from the Army I have steadily put on weight; about 100 lbs in 5 years.

I am currently home in my living room after being in the hospital roughly 24 hours. I am a little sore (feels like I have done 1000 sit-ups). But otherwise there is no pain. I am on a clear liquid post-op diet until 30DEC10 when I hope to me moved into the pureed diet.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the results and the level of discomfort. I have 5 incisions around my abdomen, the largest is about 1.5 inches long and is about 5 inches above my belly button. The other four are on the sides of my stomach. My eight year old loves them. Hopefully scaring will not be too bad. I know there is a 6-pack in there somewhere. I have seen it before.

My insurance is BCBS Federal and they were AWESOME.

I am ready for comments, questions or concerns. I am an open book.

weight.png

Welcome!

You're on the way to rediscovering your 6-pack! By next Christmas you'll have it back. Just remember to exercise a lot to keep your muscle mass up as you lose weight, and push the Protein.< /p>

Good luck on your journey!

I was banded 23DEC10 at Potomac Hospital in Woodbridge, Virginia by BluePoint Surgical Group by Denis Halmi. I am 40 years old, 5'10 and started at 305lbs. I am retired from the Army and besides high blood pressure for which I have been taking Mycartis (40mg) and high cholesterol for which I have been taking Vytorin(40mg), I am pretty healthy.

Both of my parents are big (obese) and my father had a heart attack two years ago. Since I retired from the Army I have steadily put on weight; about 100 lbs in 5 years.

I am currently home in my living room after being in the hospital roughly 24 hours. I am a little sore (feels like I have done 1000 sit-ups). But otherwise there is no pain. I am on a clear liquid post-op diet until 30DEC10 when I hope to me moved into the pureed diet.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the results and the level of discomfort. I have 5 incisions around my abdomen, the largest is about 1.5 inches long and is about 5 inches above my belly button. The other four are on the sides of my stomach. My eight year old loves them. Hopefully scaring will not be too bad. I know there is a 6-pack in there somewhere. I have seen it before.

My insurance is BCBS Federal and they were AWESOME.

I am ready for comments, questions or concerns. I am an open book.

I feel your pain. I was banded Dec. 21. Now I just started back to work half days at a child care center (director), just a reminder...don't bend down too much, it really hurts. I'm realizing I still need percocet to get through the soreness in the evening. I was told by a friend who lap banded six years ago. Do Not Deviate from that liquid diet!!!!! just be patient. I won't get to do the soft mushy until January 4, please don't push it otherwise it can expand the band (so that's what I hear). Good luck with healing. My family is supportive but it still hurts to watch them eat pizza...just a normal feeling I guess.

weight.png

Blessings to you for a speedy recovery. I was told ny my dr the other day that this procedure might be the quickest solution to medical problems that are occurring because of my weight. I'm a month shy of 50 and weigh 291 pounds.

Your post is very encouraging - maybe there is hope for me!

God bless

Jaleena in NC

THATS AWESOME!!! I AM HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE OKAY !! MY QUESTION IS AFTER READING YOUR POST...DO THE SCARS GO AWAY???? OR DO THESE INCECIONS STAY FOR A WHILE??? I GUESS I NEVER ASKED THAT BEFORE..

The wounds are pretty minimal once the swelling, bruising and scabbing goes away.If you've ever seen a gall bladder or appendix scar, that is what I am thinking it will look like. I am using cocoa butter too. I bet it won't even be noticiable once the muscles start coming through. :)

THATS AWESOME!!! I AM HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE OKAY !! MY QUESTION IS AFTER READING YOUR POST...DO THE SCARS GO AWAY???? OR DO THESE INCECIONS STAY FOR A WHILE??? I GUESS I NEVER ASKED THAT BEFORE..

Congrats on your journey :) My only advice, if you get the gas pains in your upper chest is walk walk walk. Someone on here suggested doing windmills with your arms while walking and that really seemed to help.

Best of luck to you!

The wounds are pretty minimal once the swelling, bruising and scabbing goes away.If you've ever seen a gall bladder or appendix scar, that is what I am thinking it will look like. I am using cocoa butter too. I bet it won't even be noticiable once the muscles start coming through. :)

haha you are right!!! thats awesome!! great to know thanks !!! :)

Hi Big J,

I was banded the 29DEC10 in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I just wanted to say congratulations for making it past Christmas with the liquid diet! What liquids were you allowed? I am on liquids until Dec. 6th and I am excited to move to pureed diet as well. Hope your journey continues to be a happy positive experience.